Default Ricky Stuart to Canberra Raiders

RICKY Stuart is going home to the Canberra Raiders after agreeing to a three-year contract late Wednesday night.

His decision paves the way for dumped Cowboys coach Neil Henry to take on the toughest job in the NRL - Stuart’s old job at the Parramatta Eels.

The appointment in Canberra will be announced Thursday, with Stuart returning to the club from where he became one of the great half-backs of the modern era.

He won three premierships in the lime green jersey (1989,1990 and 1994) and represented his state and country from the nation’s capital.
    Ricky Stuart

Ricky Stuart has left his post as Parramatta Eels coach to join the Raiders.

It was with great regret that he informed Parramatta officials Wednesday night he would be leaving just one year into a three-season deal.

His decision is very much based on personal issues and care for his special-needs daughter.

It will be the fourth club he has coached in the NRL, following on from stints at the Roosters, where he won a premiership, Cronulla and Parramatta.

Despite a disastrous year at the Eels, Raiders are convinced he is the right man to lead the underperforming club back to finals football in 2014.
    Eels presser

Parramatta coach, Ricky Stuart, says 'It's an awful way to finish off what has been a very tough season'.

Stuart played 203 games for the Raiders before finishing his playing career at the Canterbury Bulldogs.

It has always been the intention of retiring Canberra Raiders chairman John McIntyre to persuade Stuart to one day return to the club.

Stuart confirmed he would be leaving the Eels late Wednesday night in a phone call to chairman Steve Sharp.

“The period I’ve been with the Parramatta Eels has been extremely challenging, not only for me, but for many people like Steve Sharp who clearly have the best interests of the club at heart,” he said.
    Neil Henry

Neil Henry is firmly in the frame to take over at the Eels.

“I sincerely hope the stability the club is entitled to will soon return and reward those people who have genuine commitment and passion for the Eels.”

He would not comment on whether the off-field boardroom dramas contributed to his decision.

Eels co-captain Jarryd Hayne said he was surprised by the decision but had yet to be informed by the club.

The NSW star said the news rounded off a difficult season for him and the club.

"We always knew there were rumours but I haven't got confirmation yet and I haven't been told by club officials,'' Hayne said.
    Knights full of confidence after big win over Eels

"It's obviously a huge shock but as I said I haven't had anything official, until then I will just have to wait and hear it from the horse's mouth.

"But it's definitely been the toughest year of my career. It's been tough. This news comes out it just makes it worse. We all knew there were rumours going around.

"We heard bits and pieces about it. We had a meeting with Sticky (Stuart) a couple of the senior players and for us we had an idea what was going on.

"Stick sat us down and gave us his side of things. It was one of those things.''

NSW coach and close friend Laurie Daley said he was delighted to see Stuart return to their old club and said he was the man to sort out the off-field issues that have blighted the playing squad this year.

"It's good. He is going back home,'' Daley said.

"I am really happy for him. The club has had some dramas this year and they need fixing and they will certainly add some discipline.

"It doesn't surprise me. He was always the man they wanted, whether he could have moved on was the issue. It's a match that everyone wanted to see, being a local boy.''

McIntyre announced he would stand down from the chairman’s role at the Raiders’ best and fairest awards Wednesday night after three decades.

His last job was to oversee the recruitment of Stuart.

McIntyre will be replaced by board member Dr Allan Hawke as chairman.

Dr Hawke paid tribute to McIntyre and his contribution to the Raiders.

“John McIntyre has dedicated his life to the Canberra Raiders and is the longest serving member of the organisation,” Dr Hawke said.

“He will always have a home at the Raiders and will continue on as club patron, a role his late father and Raiders founding father Les McIntyre held until he passed away in 2009.”

So, no chance of Neil Henry to Titans now?

Parramatta is very close to Penrith.
    Good chance for a whole bunch to go home

Henry is a Qlder
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    So, no chance of Neil Henry to Titans now?
    Hopefully not, but you couldn't blame him to chase a Head Coach job than playing second fiddle here as Assistant Coach.

On a side note, Walters seems to be firming as Henry's replacement at the Cowboys. So looks like he'll give us a miss.

Ricky Stuart what a dog.

What happens to all those players that have signed with the eels next yr who are expecting him to be the coach.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Never could stand Ricky Stewart. Hearing this just makes me hate him even more.

Nobody in their right mind would take on Parramatta at the moment ... then again who would take on being our assistant?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I was going to mention that, but thought better of it, as it's self-explanatory. I would've put both positions on par with each other.

But then again, Parra has got to rebuild from scratch. Where we're dealing with old wood that doesn't appear to be going anywhere soon. So the Parra deal seems to have a little more sheen to it.

EDIT: Speaking of Sheen. Apparently Tim Sheens has been approached 'n offered the position (Sticky's replacement). Would've been good to see that unfold. .
    Last edited by Toads; 12-09-13 at 03:20 PM.

Ricky Stuart is for Ricky Stuart
    Always has been always will be

never mind about self wrap being no recommendation he is dead set his own number one fan

The bloke loves himself

Stuart out to eliminate Raiders dramas
    By David Barbeler
    AAP
    1:11pm Mon 16th September, 2013

New Canberra coach Ricky Stuart says his communication with players will be the key factor in eliminating the troubled NRL club's off-field behavioural problems.

While Stuart admits he has a reputation for a hardline approach, he says he must communicate well with his players if the Raiders are to bounce back strongly from a 2013 season dogged by controveries and sackings.

The Raiders were tracking for a top-eight finish in 2013 before losing their final six games of the regular season.

The defeats coincided with the sacking of former coach David Furner and troubled star Blake Ferguson, while winger Sandor Earl was suspended after making admissions to the ASADA anti-doping investigation and star fullback Josh Dugan was sacked for off-field indiscretions earlier in the year.

Stuart, who left repeat wooden spooners Parramatta on Thursday after just one season and with two years left on his contract, said that barring Cronulla, the teams remaining in the NRL finals series have all had seasons without too much off-field drama.

"It's healthy towards your future success, trying to eliminate as much as you can in regards to off-field dramas and discipline problems," said Stuart, addressing a media conference at the club on Monday to formally announce his three-year deal with the Raiders.

"That's important for all of us to buy into."

Asked if he was going to take a more hardline approach towards players' off-field discipline, Stuart replied he would only ever aim to be fair.

"I'm always seen to be the one with a hardline approach.

"I'd like people to see or know that there's a lot of work that goes on behind the scene in regards to the welfare and care of the players," he said.

"Sometimes what's said behind closed doors and the cuddle you can give a player is actually a big part of the player growing up and maturing."
    #itaintweaktospeak

The Ricky Stuart myth continues.

But I dont blame him for wanting to leave the Parra rabble, but he axed like 14 players.

Hopefully Stuart can take the Raiders to the next level and stop them bleeding players and improving player discipline.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    The Ricky Stuart myth continues.

But I dont blame him for wanting to leave the Parra rabble, but he axed like 14 players.

Hopefully Stuart can take the Raiders to the next level and stop them bleeding players and improving player discipline.
    It's hard for coaches and commentators to talk about player loyalty to a club etc when coaches jump from one club to another, mid-contract, or clubs drop them half way through a season, depending on their personal circumstances/finances at the time and we just accept it as the new standard.

Well I can return to my 1990s position of hating the Canberra Raiders now.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER