Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2013 Titans Player Review

We can discuss how each Titans player went this year.

I'll start off.

John Cartwright.
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

no comment

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?

What kind of "player" did you have in mind JS? The kind that get out there and do stuff or the harlem kind or the ones that just play you?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Lets not even go there
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Sezer View Post
    We can discuss how each Titans player went this year.

I'll start off.

John Cartwright.
    Think we've got enough Carty threads going.

What about we start with #1 and work our way through?

The #1 discussion will probably keep us going for a while, since we have a few to discuss.

Ok, so who is your preferred #1 for 2014, and why?

I've never had any real issues with Z-man, I think he is reliable and gets the job done, but I don't understand where he gets so many wraps. He just does his job, does it well. I think he is very safe, good defensively and runs the ball back hard. I just don't see him making the thousands of linebreaks that he keeps getting credit for, and while he backs up well, he often seems to be slightly out of position with the ball carrier, whether over-running him or too close for an offload. He would be an awesome utility player, and easily my go-to FB if my number one #1 was out.

Which brings me to Meady.

He makes me excited like Preston used to make me excited running from the back, except Meady also inspires me with confidence in defence and under the high ball. He can contain almost any threat, and he can run the ball back better than Z-man IMO, seeming to find gaps a lot easier, but most importantly, linking up with Flash and finding an extra 20m running most times.

Probably the best example of this is the 20m tap restart, where he hits it up for 10m, then Flash finds an extra 10-15. Tackle 1, we are almost out of our half. This is a good thing!

I would pay money to watch Meady play at FB, but I wouldn't be so excited to go to a game because TP was playing there.

I would like to see Meady be our #1 for 2014.

I should also state that Mead has gone gangbusters all 2014, playing out of his skin all over the park, whether finishing tries on the wing, sliding cover defence, taking some really good hit-ups through the middle and defending the line. He has been outstanding for us.

All this while suffering 2 broken jaws and a fractured back, and still being one of the teams standout players. Mad props for this dedication and effort. That is seriously brave stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    I've never had any real issues with Z-man, I think he is reliable and gets the job done, but I don't understand where he gets so many wraps. He just does his job, does it well. I think he is very safe, good defensively and runs the ball back hard. I just don't see him making the thousands of linebreaks that he keeps getting credit for, and while he backs up well, he often seems to be slightly out of position with the ball carrier, whether over-running him or too close for an offload. He would be an awesome utility player, and easily my go-to FB if my number one #1 was out.

Which brings me to Meady.

:
    Like you I haven't had any real problems with Zilly at the back but he is nothing special. When you look at the other teams fullbacks how does he compare - just my opinion of course:

Manly - Brett Stewart - not in his class
    Melbourne - Slater - as above
    Souths - Inglis - as above
    Easts - Mini - as above
    Newcastle - Boyd - as above
    Cowboys - Bowen - as above
    Dragons - Dugan - as above
    Warriors - Locke - probably inferior
    Sharks - Gordon - as above

That leaves Moylan (Panthers) Hoffman (broncos) Perrett (Dogs - forgetting Barba for now) Tedesco (Tigers) Robinson (Raiders).
    I would rate Zilly about the middle of that lot but in my opinion behind Moylan and Hoffman at least.
    Therefore, even though I have not had any great issues with him, I have him about the 11th or 12th best fullback in the comp which spells trouble.

Alright we are talking about Zillman then.

His performances this year were hot and cold.

He had some good games and there were some games were he kept losing the ball and was non-existent.

We need a fullback who contributes all the time and i feel Mead is the man.
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

We need a fullback who will direct the defence. Fullback's play a vital role in the overall deployment of the team and that is one of the main reasons why we keep getting exposed. The coach doesn't know how to solve that and the players have no experience in doing that. There is no fullback in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Like you I haven't had any real problems with Zilly at the back but he is nothing special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julius Sezer View Post
    Alright we are talking about Zillman then.

His performances this year were hot and cold.

He had some good games and there were some games were he kept losing the ball and was non-existent.

We need a fullback who contributes all the time and i feel Mead is the man.
    Titanic, what is the differecne in your opinion between him and the others above him?

I think he is a good defensive player, and I think he reads it pretty well and he is safe under the high ball. Apparently he keeps getting credited with a lot of line breaks, but I just don't see it. He is a strong runner of the ball, but for me it looks more like a lack of involvement in 2nd phase play. I see Meady always sniffing around, just being there, but Z-man either seems to be in the way or not around when he is needed most.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    We need a fullback who will direct the defence. Fullback's play a vital role in the overall deployment of the team and that is one of the main reasons why we keep getting exposed. The coach doesn't know how to solve that and the players have no experience in doing that. There is no fullback in touch.
    Haha, love the last line.

Would you guys agree that he would be great on the right wing, and bring Mead into FB?

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    Titanic, what is the difference in your opinion between him and the others above him?
    In fact, I bag him more than he deserves in some respects as he is courageous and can run well in broken play.

However, he does not guide the team around from behind as he should and that impacts on our defensive reaction to the opposition's attack and on his mis-times soirees into the backline. Being caught out of position is a clear sign of not being able to read play.

In answer to your question; he is a mid-ranked fullback at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    However, he does not guide the team around from behind as he should and that impacts on our defensive reaction to the opposition's attack and on his mis-times soirees into the backline. Being caught out of position is a clear sign of not being able to read play.

In answer to your question; he is a mid-ranked fullback at best.
    I can't comment on what he's saying form the back, but I don't think he gets caught out in defence but I take your point that the defensive line seems to get caught out, so i see that could come back to his direction (or lack of) from the back. But I'm more inclined to think it's because of a fairly constant shuffling of players who are not confident on the man inside/outside of them.

Also, he seems to get in the way in an attacking structure (of which we don't have a lot!), unless he gets clean ball and then he can eat some metres, as you have said.

He had good year but was ruined when carty rushed him back for the cowboys and he was very disappointing

He has had a good yr. IMO
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]