Page 42 of 120 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 52 92 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Meyn also tweeted that Titans are in talks with Khan Ahwang. If it turns out, this guy is a legit contender for a starting centre spot
    Where is he from ???

Travis Meyn tweeting that James Roberts signing will be announced this week.
    If he stays on the straight and narrow that would be good. Shame he won't be available until round 10 or 12 ish. So Totans pick up his rehab bill. Well played.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titans View Post
    Where is he from ???
    Burleigh. First year with them. Hes been absolutely killing it..guy had an NFL trial as well because he can punt a ball so far. He's been burleighs best player this year and as much as I hate to say it, is a lot more threatening on attack than likiliki has been on the same team

Meyn also tweeted that Titans are in talks with Khan Ahwang. If it turns out, this guy is a legit contender for a starting centre spot
    Yes the mail is that Cartwright is looking at this guy as an NRL centre - so expect him to switch to the second row for Burleigh sooner rather than later.

A fresh talented centre at our club is like going to your wife's favourite vegetarian restaurant and finding filet mignon on the menu
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Didn't realise Albert Kelly and James Roberts are first cousins, apparently he is a big factor to Roberts' potential move.

Article:
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-...-1226863555866

Burleigh. First year with them. Hes been absolutely killing it..guy had an NFL trial as well because he can punt a ball so far. He's been burleighs best player this year and as much as I hate to say it, is a lot more threatening on attack than likiliki has been on the same team
    Thanks HS. I'll google him to find out more?

Albert Kelly will speak to axed Panther James Roberts about career revival at the Coast
    EMMA GREENWOOD GOLD COAST BULLETIN MARCH 25, 2014 12:06PM

ALBERT Kelly has vowed to guide childhood friend James Roberts back from the brink of rugby league oblivion if he *becomes the latest player to *try to revive his NRL *career on the Gold Coast.

Roberts visited the Gold Coast yesterday for talks with the Titans after being axed by the Penrith Panthers last week — the second club to cut ties with the 21-year-old talent.

If he does head north, Roberts is likely to have a valuable support network, with childhood mate Kelly determined to help him tread the path Kelly himself followed to footy redemption last season.

“He’s just got to come up here and work hard,’’ Kelly said yesterday.

“I was in the same state as him. It’d be good to see *another person get a shot and take it with two hands.

“I’m going to back him all the way and help guide him.”

Forging links will not be hard for the pair, who grew up in the same neighbourhood.

“He lived a couple of houses down the road in Kempsey,’’ Kelly said.

“I knew him very well and very well at Souths as well.

“He’s a very talented player, very quick and I wouldn’t mind that outside me.’’

Kelly linked with the Titans last year having earnt the reputation of a footy “bad boy’’ after being sacked by two NRL clubs in the space of a year.

The former Shark and Knight impressed so much during the pre-season — on and off the field — he was offered a contract and then an extension after turning his life around.

The Titans have a reputation for taking on the players other clubs reject.

Co-captains Greg Bird and Nate Myles both courted controversy in their careers but have turned things around since joining the Coast.

Bird hoped Roberts could gain the same chance.

“You see it time and time again in the media, whether people are playing up or not playing up or perceived to be playing up, they get out of Sydney and it’s a different story,’’ Bird said.

“Albert Kelly has done the same thing too. He’s come up here and he’s one of our leaders up here now. Me and Nate have been similar.

“It’s definitely an environment where the players look out for each other.”

While the Titans have a settled back three with William Zillman, David Mead and Kevin Gordon firing, Bird said Zillman being forced off with a hamstring injury in the Titans’ 24-12 Round 3 away win over the Raiders on Sunday showed the importance of depth.

“I don’t think you can have enough depth these days,’’ Bird said. “Hopefully if all goes to plan we can get (Roberts) *because he’s a superstar.

“The things I’ve seen him do on a football field are unbelievable and he’s only a kid.”

Kelly said the support system he found on the Coast had been the key to his revival and he wanted to ensure the same existed for Roberts.

“It’s just a different environment (from Sydney),’’ Kelly said. “When I first came up here there was a very good support system at the Titans and it’s based around the culture of the club.”
    #itaintweaktospeak

Roberts free to seek final chance
    By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
    NRL.com
    4:40pm Tue 25th March, 2014

Wayward winger James Roberts will not be subjected to any additional scrutiny should the sacked Panthers star be offered an NRL contract by a new club.

Roberts was on the Gold Coast on Monday to open discussions with the Titans and with close family ties in Albert Kelly already at the club and additional family living in and around the Gold Coast area, the Titans are the early front-runners to secure his services.

After a string of disciplinary indiscretions led to his sacking from South Sydney in 2012, Roberts was thrown a lifeline and appeared to have turned his life around at Penrith. Injuries restricted him to just six appearances, which happened to include scoring a hat-trick against the Titans.

The 21-year-old broke his ankle at training in January and while he was sacked by the Panthers three weeks ago for further off-field incidents, is not the subject of an investigation by the NRL Integrity Unit and needs no special clearance to have a contract registered.

If signed by the Titans, the contract would be submitted to the salary cap auditor who will determine whether the terms of the contract are reflective of what he is deemed to be worth and whether he is a 'fit and reasonable person' before any contract is registered.

These are the same terms that all NRL contracts are registered under and Titans coach John Cartwright is hopeful that the club will be able to facilitate the fulfilment of his extraordinary talent.

"He's a rare talent and he's got some family here at the club," Cartwright said. "He's got some things he needs to deal with first but as far as his football goes, he's a rare talent."

During his time at the Rabbitohs Roberts was named in the under-20s team of the year, played in the under-20s grand final in 2010 and played 10 first grade games in 2011 but the club was never able to curtail his off-field behaviour.

It came to the point where Sam Burgess took him in and had Roberts staying with him at his luxury apartment but that arrangement came to an end when Roberts walked out.

One person NRL.com spoke to with extensive knowledge of Roberts' behavioural issues admitted that while he is unquestionably a freakish talent, any club that offered him a contract was taking "a pretty big risk".

Aware of the gamble the club may be about to take, Cartwright said it will be up to Roberts as to whether he ever plays in the NRL again, for the Titans or any other club.

"We try to provide an environment where they can enjoy their football, but the onus is back on the player once he gets here," said Cartwright. "It's not just about football, it's about their life. They've got to get their life in order in order to play their best footy.

"There are enough guys with enough experience here to be able to help them with the problems that they have.

Sometimes when you get to that stage of your career it is a fact of saying, 'This may be my last chance,' and we've been fortunate with the guys that have come here under those circumstances.

"We think that we can help James. He has spent a fair bit of time here growing up, he's got some family in and around the Gold Coast and he has some friends here at the club. And we have a great guy like Preston Campbell who works with the Titans 4 Tomorrow program and is accessible to us as a footy department with guys in similar positions to James.

"I just think we're a well-equipped club to handle what's going to be thrown at him."

http://www.nrl.com/roberts-free-to-s...8/default.aspx

I really hope we get Roberts after reading all that.

Im hearing Khan Ahwang has agreed to a 3 yr deal

I hope we have signed Khan, I am actually really excited to see how our backline will develop over the next 24 months

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    I hope we have signed Khan, I am actually really excited to see how our backline will develop over the next 24 months
    Agree. Just need a coach that coach a good back line.

hahahaha im banking on the players teaching themselves before carty does

Apparently Neil Henry has moved to focus primarily on the backs. Hope so.