Default The Gold Coast product has been in talks with the Titans along with a number of other

Gold Coast product Ben Hannant says he still has plenty to give as Titans weigh up offer
    TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN SEPTEMBER 24, 2014 12:00AM
    BE THE FIRST TO RESPOND

Former Test prop Ben Hannant says he still has plenty left to give as it emerges he has been in talks with the Titans.
    BEN Hannant says he still has plenty to give in the NRL as it emerged the Gold Coast must shed players if they want to fit the former Test prop into their roster.

Hannant is clubless for 2015 with new Broncos coach Wayne Bennett not publicly guaranteeing the ex-Queensland bookend a spot at Brisbane next year.

And if the Titans are to land the 29-year-old it could come at a cost.

New Titans coach Neil Henry is assessing his squad for 2015 and beyond but the Gold Coast isn’t in a position to offer Hannant a salary anywhere near his asking price.

Their front row stocks are relatively healthy with Nate Myles, Luke Douglas, Ryan James, Matt White and Mark Ioane on the books but the retired Luke Bailey’s experience will be missed.

Hannant’s past couple of seasons under ex-Broncos coach Anthony Griffin were chequered and the former Burleigh Bears junior said all he needed was an opportunity to prove he can still be a force in the NRL.

“Unfortunately I was playing under someone … where it wasn’t the perfect situation,” he said.

“My best football’s ahead of me. I’m 29 and feeling good. I just need an opportunity to get back to where I was before all this happened.

“I don’t drink or smoke. I look after myself.

“I still enjoy the game. All I need is that opportunity.”

Titans coach Neil Henry has some tough decisions to make about next year’s squad. Picture: David Clark

While the Titans are somewhat hamstrung financially they do hold a trump card.

Hannant, a father of five, is happily settled at Tallebudgera and is reluctant to leave southeast Queensland, meaning the Broncos and Titans are his preferences.

“My family’s settled. This is where I grew up,” Hannant said.

“We have a little farm and the kids are happy, wife’s happy, I’m happy.

“I grew up on the Gold Coast. It’s been a massive part of my life.

“Neil Henry’s just taken over and he’s a great coach. They’ve got a good roster and under Neil good things can happen.

“I’d consider the option there once my manager has proper discussions with them.

“In some situations the cap’s pretty full and they’re trying to squeeze you in and fit you in.

“It’s one of those things where we’ll just have to wait and see and weigh up our options once it’s all settled down.”

Hannant fell out of favour with Griffin and even spent time playing for Ipswich Jets in the Intrust Super Cup.

“I’m not going to lie, it was extremely frustrating,” he said.

“You’ve got to deal with what you get and make the most of your situations. That’s what I tried to do.

“I’m mainly just looking for an opportunity.

“Wherever I end up I’ll make sure they’re very happy with the decision they make.”
    #itaintweaktospeak

"BEN Hannant says he still has plenty to give in the NRL as it emerged the Gold Coast must shed players if they want to fit the former Test prop into their roster."

Either this is the standard line or we have been back ending a lot of contracts. We have released or lost Idris, Harrison, Bailey, Minichiello, Michaels and Takarangi this year and hardly picked up anyone. Surely we must have money in our cap after all of them.

The only thing I can see is that Henry is clearing out any back ended contracts so he is free to make offers for 2016.
    Psmitty

totally agree with psmitty, how do we loose that many players but only sign two second rowers who I would presume be only on minimal contracts nothing large and the upgrading of Kingston and Elgey, but have a look at the calibre of players let go it just doesn't weigh up in my view, we must have some huge back ended deals or we are only spending a margin of the cap

Don't forget Blair, Tighe and Roberts, especially if we had no money anyway. Then add in the contracts of Zillman (FFS), Bird, Taylor, Myles and Douglas who would not have been cheap. Also we did have an accountant as football director and we know what that has meant previously.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Agree with psmitty as well. It's got me stuffed how this roster is any where near the cap, especially considering the players let go. Some blokes must be getting far more than their market value.

I don't think the cap has anything to do with it ... I think the club is running on the smell of an oily rag.

Junior

Does anyone know what any of the players are on money wise? You would think Myles and Bird would only be on around 350k a piece since Taylor is only on 400k. But as people have said we are most likely paying overs for most if not all our players just to keep them at the sinking ship.

i thought Bird was something like 550k from memory? that was the figure bandied around at the time he signed.

no idea how we would be near cap, but losing a few players should have freed up plenty. and club finances shouldnt effect it unless we are using the NRL grant money that is generally used for player payments for other things.

didnt we get fined for being slightly over last year?

There is the outstanding issue about Prince, our fine was second tiers infractions and we certainly use our grant money for other things (which incredibly the NRL praised us for).