Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Graham Annesley appointed new Titans CEO

More to come....

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nsw-sport-...828-2sq0z.html

NSW sport minister Graham Annesley quits

NSW minister for sport and recreation, Graham Annesley, has announced his resignation from parliament to move to Queensland for a job with the Gold Coast Titans rugby league team.

A tearful Mr Annesley told parliament on Wednesday that his decision followed an ''unsolicited approach'' from the Gold Coast Titans to become the team's CEO.

''Throughout my time in parliament and as a minister I never really considered myself to be a politician,'' he said.

However, he said he believed he had been ''a good minister''.

''I'm only too happy to admit that I don't see myself as a very good politician. In fact, there are many aspects of politics that I don't care for. I have the utmost respect for everyone who enters political life''.

He said committing to another term in politics would mean it would be too late to return to a career in rugby league.

A rugby league referee and chief operating officer of the NRL before entering parliament, Mr Annesley gained an early profile by raising the issue of sports gambling in his inaugural speech to parliament.

Mr Annesley voiced his concern at the ''enormous growth of gambling on sporting events and specifically the relatively recent advent of more exotic bet types, previously unavailable''.

This type of betting was ''potentially the most significant threat to the integrity of sport we have ever confronted''.

Last year Mr Annesley oversaw the introduction of laws which impose up to 10 years' jail for match fixing, race fixing and other forms of corruption in sport.

Mr Annesley was appointed to cabinet shortly after being elected as the member for Miranda at the 2011 election.

The resignation will spark a byelection in the seat of Miranda.

The iSelect Gold Coast Titans have today landed a major coup with the appointment of respected Australian sports administrator Graham Annesley as the club’s new Chief Executive Officer.

Mr Annesley boasts almost 20 years experience as a sport administrator, headlined by his previous position as the NRL’s Chief Operating Officer, before successfully entering politics as the Minister for Sport and Recreation with the NSW Government in March, 2011.

The 56-year-old was one of many strong candidates considered for the Titans CEO position and has been appointed due to his passion for rugby league and his strong background as one of the country’s leading sports administrators.

Mr Annesley will commence as Titans CEO in mid September.

iSelect Titans Chairman Darryl Kelly said Mr Annesley’s wealth of experience as a sports administrator, particularly in rugby league, would be a valuable asset to the club.

To me....To date....This would be the best signing the Club has made...I for one an happy that we have somebody like him and know that he will do the job and fill the HUGE shoes of David May.

Wow, I did not see that coming and the fact that there were no leaks in the press is also a good thing.

I hope this means the club is on the up for next year.

Does he play golf?

Great appointment if he is allowed to do his job. I read in another press release that he worked with the Gold Coast bid team before we rejoined the NRL. He would know Michael Searle's good and bad points then and hopefully that will help in his new role.

Great appointment and hopefully he can help build a new culture at the club and foster a great partnership with the NRL through his contacts and track record.

But quitting Parliament after just two years and forcing a costly byelection isn't good in my opinion. I have to be honest.

I guess Graham realised it wasn't for him and sport management is his go.

A stand out candidate for CEO and we are lucky to have him. I hope he has a very hands on role and is across everything in the club.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Ticks all the boxes

Seems to have the right credentials. Wonder how long it'll be before he falls out with Searle..

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Seems to have the right credentials. Wonder how long it'll be before he falls out with Searle..
    My thoughts exactly...
    We have the Mead, the Mead for speed!!!

Does he have the power alone to sack carty

Quote Originally Posted by hatchy84 View Post
    Does he have the power alone to sack carty
    ABSOLUTELY!.....................not

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    ABSOLUTELY!.....................not

I am super impressed with this.

Will give me hope for the off season.

A man of integrity and credibility, he can guide us forwards over the coming years.