Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Scott Prince Retires

Broncos playmaker Scott Prince to retire at end of season
    Peter Badel & Todd Balym | August 26 2013, 11:22AM

VETERAN Broncos playmaker Scott Prince is set to announce his retirement from the NRL at the end of the season.

Prince, who could play his 300th NRL game in the final round clash with Canterbury, will not play on in 2014 after deciding the time was right to leave the game on his terms.

The 33-year-old returned to the Broncos this year on a two-year deal, but had no guarantees he would be part of the NRL team next season as coach Anthony Griffin looked for a new scrumbase partnership to get the Broncos back towards the top four.

Prince finishes his career having played four Tests for Australia and five State of Origin matches for Queensland.

He has played 298 NRL games and could become the just the 18th player in the history of rugby league to play 300 games in the competition.

It was only three weeks ago that Prince denied he was set to finish up at the end of 2013.

"The way I read it is that I have signed for two years and that is my contract," Prince said.

"In my mind I am here for next year ... unless I hear otherwise."

In recent weeks Prince had delivered possibly his finest form of the season helping the Broncos go on an unbeaten stretch that put Brisbane within reach of a finals finish.

But a disappointing loss to Penrith last week saw Brisbane plummet back to 13th on the NRL ladder and needing a miracle in the last fortnight to reach the finals with home games against Newcastle on Friday and Canterbury next Thursday to end their regular season.

Friday night's clash at Newcastle will be Prince's 50th appearance for the Broncos.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226704086857

That mean we have more salary cap next year after we were paying some of his

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?

Immortal

Hope he makes it to 300 games, a good player for us

Good on your Scott. 300 in last game in NRL is amazing timing.

Thank you for everything you have done building this club over the years.

I hope he does go to Super League though.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Thanks for being our 1st Captain Scott & i expect u will be with 9 or Fox for your future ..
    #itaintweaktospeak

I felt this coming over the past few weeks where he was giving his support to Anthony Griffin and vicea-versa. it felt like they were both mutually supporting each other in the face of the inevitable.

Either way, he was a great player, still is a very good player, and hopefully will finish with a very well deserved 300 games in the NRL, in itself an amazing achievement, as well as several capataincy roles, an NRL premiership, Origin and Australian duties, among many other highlights including a Clive Churchil medal.

Congratulations Scott, and thanks for being part of the Titans and giving us the best years of the club so far.

Thanks Scott, he gave us credibility coming here as a premiership captain, Aussie and origin player.

Always had a cheeky attitude and fun attitude I though, and wish him well.

To get to 300 after his horrific early injuries is a testament to his toughness and professionalism. There is a touch of sadness for me that he didn't get to finish in our colours.

And Peter is right, he is MADE for television. Is smart, articulate and funny without needing to get smutty like the other geese these days.

Also need to thank him mostly, because he got my wife to love footy.

One of my all time favourite players and defintiely my all time favourite Titan. A truly outstanding ambassador for Rugby League and particularly for his Indigenous Heritage.

In light of our 2013 season and the changes that have occurred within our club makes you wonder what really forced him up the highway ... perhaps the boys club got too oppressive ... I was pleased to see him leave us as we needed new halves but I wish him well in his future endeavours.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I'm a relative newcomer to the game, and I'd have to credit Prince for selling the game to me and making me a fan. The first match I watched was the Tigers in 2005, and Prince delivered all the way to the GF.
    I followed Prince to the Titans and thats when I started following the game more closely - buying jerseys, attending matches, posting on this forum, ect...
    Actually, I'm pretty sure about half of my posts were defending Princey's tackling ability...

So thanks for your contribution to the game, the Titans, and my post count
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I'm a relative newcomer to the game, and I'd have to credit Prince for selling the game to me and making me a fan. The first match I watched was the Tigers in 2005, and Prince delivered all the way to the GF.
    I followed Prince to the Titans and thats when I started following the game more closely - buying jerseys, attending matches, posting on this forum, ect...
    Actually, I'm pretty sure about half of my posts were defending Princey's tackling ability...

So thanks for your contribution to the game, the Titans, and my post count
    That's a great story Ryan and shows why our game needs stars. They are entry points to the game for many of us. Kevin Walters was the one who sealed the deal for me. Congrats on going from a rookie fan to a veteran fan at the speed of light.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

A very good game from Prince tonight in his swan song kicking 2 goals from the sideline to help the Donkeys win in a surprising result 16-11 over the Dogs.

Well done Princey a great ambassador to our Brilliant game..
    #itaintweaktospeak

Yes and did you check out our lot in the crowd ... gold
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Really glad he went out on a high. He really deserved it.
    And joined the 300 club too.

A true champion of the game.