Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

I think we'll win this game. But for the sake of debate...

Mead should've stayed at fullback
    Sezer should've stayed at halfback
    Bird should've stayed at lock
    Why not just put James in the starting line up on the team sheet?
    The 'Dave Taylor off the bench' experiment has failed.

Zillman is utterly boring at the back and despite his best season with us so far, has still been outshone by mead in the two and a half games mead has had in the shirt. Switching them mid-way through a game is either a) a pathetically un-rehe****d gameplan or b) a coach panicking

Stoked for Alby to come back - but it seems a no brainer to me that Sezer is our halfback, Alby is our 5/8 based on the roles they each play. I know it doesn't really mean much in the modern game, but it just reeks of Carty trying to 'fool' the opposition in the same way Ryan James starting is apparently intended to. But, for all I know Carty and Murphy are expert sports psychologists and have determined that keeping their own players guessing improves their on field performance. James has been awesome, so has Sezer really (all things considered).

Harrison has been pretty good on the edges so would've been fine in 2nd row. Bird's footwork and offload would be gold up the middle around tiring NZ forwards

I have no doubt DT will, like Jamal turn out to be a good buy for us eventually. Greater minds than mine have failed to solve the CoalTrain conundrum, so i certainly don't hope to, but i think it's time to elevate him to the starting side, or drop him completely until he jumps through whatever hoops carty has set for him. At the moment, he is being outperformed by everyone on the bench, and is essentially wasting a spot. I know the popular mantra for players trying to work their way into a starting side is more quality not minutes - but i just think DT is a confidence player. Coming off the bench is not doing him or us any favours.

Dowling has been okay as a defensive center, but Don shows more in attack, I'm not sold on either of them, and thought the competition for those spots would've unearthed far more exciting results by this stage of the season...

With us signing Blair next season I'm curious as to what that means for Takairangi. He hasn't been great the last couple of games, but i still think he has potential and would hate to see him goooone.
    Last edited by K2G; 20-08-13 at 02:13 PM.

Gold Coast Titan David Mead will retain a roving role in attack despite the return of fullback William Zillman.

DAVID Mead has been given licence to retain a roving role in attack for the Titans despite the return of fullback William Zillman.

Regular winger Mead was shifted to the back to cover for Zillman - who is battling a long-term groin injury - after the Titans plumped for youngster Jahrome Hughes and playmaker Jordan Rankin early in his absence.

Such was his success, Mead has been given the OK to continue to probe for holes up the middle of the ground as the Titans explore every avenue to gain a finals place.

Mead proved a revelation during his foray to fullback, averaging more than 150m in runs, three line breaks, six tackle breaks and a try in his two games starting in the No.1 jersey.

While he started on the wing in the weekend's loss to the Cowboys, his occasional switches to the back left him able to exploit any chances available and he made one of only two line-breaks on the night as the Titans struggled to match the improved North Queensland outfit.

''Especially teams we play up the middle, I've been told to hang around up the middle and look for some holes and stick my nose through there,'' Mead said.

''I enjoyed fullback. The thing was we had Zilly back this week and we all know what he can do.

''Having him at fullback and me on the wing is best for the team.''

Mead has had a horror season, being restricted to the sideline for extended periods after breaking his jaw twice. His absence robbed the Titans of one of their most potent scoring forces.

While he can be a danger from the back, Mead's presence on the right wing is also a boon for the Titans, giving them genuine scoring options on either side of the field with left winger Kevin Gordon in career-best form.

''Kev's been on fire the last month. He's on 15 tries and about to break my record of 16, so I've got to try to catch up to him,'' Mead said.

''But having both of us on the wing, we try to do our best ... and if that helps the team then that's what we'll do.''

The Titans need to win at least two of their final three games against the Warriors (h), Roosters (a) and Storm (a) to make the playoffs for the first time since 2010 but Mead said there was still great belief in the side.

''Everything's in our control right now,'' he said. ''I believe we can (win our last three).

''We've just got to go out and play according to our game plan and do everything the coach tells us to do and everything we've trained for, and I'm sure we'll get wins.''

Greg Bird is likely to be named today for Saturday's clash against the Warriors at Skilled Park despite being taken from the field in Townsville with back spasms caused by a disc injury.

Albert Kelly will face a fitness test later in the week on his injured sternum.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...st-titans.html

Ridiculous.
    I honestly feel sorry for the bloke, and tremble with anger at the thought of what he might be capable of under an effective coaching structure.
    Last edited by K2G; 20-08-13 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kickit2gordon View Post

Sezer should've stayed at halfback
    Bird should've stayed at lock
    Why not just put James in the starting line up on the team sheet?
    The 'Dave Taylor off the bench' experiment has failed.

Zillman is utterly boring at the back and despite his best season with us so far, has still been outshone by mead in the two and a half games mead has had in the shirt. Switching them mid-way through a game is either a) a pathetically un-rehe****d gameplan or b) a coach panicking

Stoked for Alby to come back - but it seems a no brainer to me that Sezer is our halfback, Alby is our 5/8 based on the roles they each play. I know it doesn't really mean much in the modern game, but it just reeks of Carty trying to 'fool' the opposition in the same way Ryan James starting is apparently intended to. But, for all I know Carty and Murphy are expert sports psychologists and have determined that keeping their own players guessing improves their on field performance. James has been awesome, so has Sezer really (all things considered).

Harrison has been pretty good on the edges so would've been fine in 2nd row. Bird's footwork and offload would be gold up the middle around tiring NZ forwards

I have no doubt DT will, like Jamal turn out to be a good buy for us eventually. Greater minds than mine have failed to solve the CoalTrain conundrum, so i certainly don't hope to, but i think it's time to elevate him to the starting side, or drop him completely until he jumps through whatever hoops carty has set for him. At the moment, he is being outperformed by everyone on the bench, and is essentially wasting a spot. I know the popular mantra for players trying to work their way into a starting side is more quality not minutes - but i just think DT is a confidence player. Coming off the bench is not doing him or us any favours.

Dowling has been okay as a defensive center, but Don shows more in attack, I'm not sold on either of them, and thought the competition for those spots would've unearthed far more exciting results by this stage of the season...

With us signing Blair next season I'm curious as to what that means for Takairangi. He hasn't been great the last couple of games, but i still think he has potential and would hate to see him goooone.
    I agree with a lot of your post. Especially the Dave Taylor part. Cartwright is so blind to see what actually having faith in blokes and starting them does to their confidence.. Case and point Ryan James.. Gives him
    No time on the field, and when he did put james on it was 10 minutes before half time EVERY GAME and then pulled him off 10 minutes after. and then he cant figure out why he isn't going any good. Then he starts one game and gives him time look what happens. Having Dave sitting there angry at himself for not starting is just a waste of time. For god sakes just start the bloke! I'm sure you will be suprised.

John Cartright is a weak coach, How can someone promise a player who has not proved them self on the nrl field a key position like Fullback?

Zillman is a safe player at the best, he should be considering himself lucky that he is returning from injury to the nrl and not Qcup,

He most certainly does not deserve to be playing at full back, he has had 2 years in that position to prove himself and he has been nothing but boring and far from dangerous.

Mead has been giving 2 games and has exceeded expectations by far.
    He is perfect for the type of play that Sezer and Kelly bring to the team.
    Mead has more hunger on the field and it shows through his efforts.

MEAD -Fullback #1

Zillman- Wing #5

Quote Originally Posted by EricWright View Post
    John Cartright is a weak coach, How can someone promise a player who has not proved them self on the nrl field a key position like Fullback?

Zillman is a safe player at the best, he should be considering himself lucky that he is returning from injury to the nrl and not Qcup,

He most certainly does not deserve to be playing at full back, he has had 2 years in that position to prove himself and he has been nothing but boring and far from dangerous.

Mead has been giving 2 games and has exceeded expectations by far.
    He is perfect for the type of play that Sezer and Kelly bring to the team.
    Mead has more hunger on the field and it shows through his efforts.

MEAD -Fullback #1

Zillman- Wing #5
    Strong first post. Welcome to the forum man.

You'll fit right in with that opinion regarding Zilly Slater. Any other coach would have left Mead there. Ridiculous really.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Strong first post. Welcome to the forum man.
    Haha, yep, can't wait for Eric to settle in and tell us how he really feels.

kickit2gordon, good post too mate.

I wonder what the Bookies will be paying that Friendy will have that trademark grin on his face after the 80minutes, this weekend..

Yep, don't see the benefit of removing the best chance at scoring points.

I have no doubt DT will, like Jamal turn out to be a good buy for us eventually. Greater minds than mine have failed to solve the CoalTrain conundrum,
    I made a post in the DT player discussion, regarding this.

but i think it's time to elevate him to the starting side, or drop him completely until he jumps through whatever hoops carty has set for him. At the moment, he is being outperformed by everyone on the bench, and is essentially wasting a spot. I know the popular mantra for players trying to work their way into a starting side is more quality not minutes - but i just think DT is a confidence player. Coming off the bench is not doing him or us any favours.
    I think the reason Carty does this is he wants to see which way the game is heading before giving DT his orders. I get the feeling DT cannot be trusted with sticking to a game plan, and I would say this is why Carty is reluctant to start him. Either that or he just gets too excited out of the blocks and Carty wants the rest of the team to settle. Either way, i think it's a maturity/discipline/attitude problem. DT player discussion thread.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan1980 View Post
    Having Dave sitting there angry at himself for not starting is just a waste of time.
    I'm pretty sure an angry Coaltrain is a handy asset, but i think it's more frustration or just a complete lack of self discipline that is cruelling his game. You saw a perfect example (see it a lot actually) where he does something stupid and backs it up by giving away a penalty. Doesn't help anyone except the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    I think the reason Carty does this is he wants to see which way the game is heading before giving DT his orders. I get the feeling DT cannot be trusted with sticking to a game plan, and I would say this is why Carty is reluctant to start him. Either that or he just gets too excited out of the blocks and Carty wants the rest of the team to settle. Either way, i think it's a maturity/discipline/attitude problem. DT player discussion thread.
    I agree that this is probably what Carty is thinking/doing. My point is that its not working. I think the best coaches are the ones who find a middle ground between molding a gameplan around their players, and coaching players to stick to gameplans. You can't put a square peg in a round hole.

DT is probably never going to be an error-less defensive workhorse, hit-up machine. He is actually a pretty good defender and reader of the game - but he gets lazy and makes sloppy mistakes. That said, telling him to get the errors out of his game, play simple and run straight is a sad waste of rare talent.

We've probably all got an opinion on how the team might improve their attack - but bringing DT into the game is surely one we can all agree on. Plays should be constructed around his strengths; A guy that big who can not only drag players with him, but also pass, step, offload, and dribble a ball behind the line at speed, should be a threat everytime he runs it. He could play a very similar role to Glenn Stewart - where defenders are constantly guessing as to which option he will take. He should be running good angles, with offload options in support close to the line. He should be given space to create linebreaks and defensive mis-reads.

Using him to take hit-ups out of our 20 and 30, or charge at the try line from 5 out (our teams pet play) for 30 minutes of a game is stupid for so many reasons. His pay packet alone is a good one. But with the limited minutes, opposition teams are perfectly aware of the role he is coming on to play; Run straight and hard and over the top of blokes. With more minutes, he has the ability to work the opposition over. Make them aware of his options, and that he is willing to use them - and create some doubt in defensive teams. Atleast this way he has a chance to make up for his errors with the brilliance we know he can produce > the likes of which we have seen very little of this year (probably his worst season since debuting tbh). Confidence player's need to know its okay to make mistakes, to take risks, and to recognise moments when instincts trump gamplans, all of which comes from faith from team-mates and coaching staff. For many, this faith / trust / confidence (whatever you want to call it) can often reduce error counts as much as endless ball work and video sessions do, as any sports psychologist worth a damn would tell you.

I guess i just really want to see him realise his potential as a titan, rather than be another guy who comes to the coast, only to be mismanaged into another code or nrl team ... and then succeed there.
    Last edited by K2G; 20-08-13 at 08:32 PM.

You can't put a square peg in a round hole.
    Agreed, but you never know what shape DT is going to turn up in on match day.

You should copy all your post and whack it in the DT discussion thread. We can continue the conversation there. Hopefully we will both be proven wrong next year.

More pain for Zillman and Titans
    Travis Meyn | 12:01am August 22, 2013

WILLIAM Zillman is staring at another stint on the sidelines while the Titans are preparing to save their season without inspirational co-captain Greg Bird.

Zillman and Bird were notable omissions from training last night as coach John Cartwright tried to piece together an injury-riddled team for Saturday's crucial clash against the Warriors at Skilled Park.

Zillman aggravated a groin injury in his return from a six-week layoff against the Cowboys on Saturday night and is at long odds to face the Warriors.

Bird, who watched last night's session at Cudgen, is struggling with a bulging disc in his back that caused severe spasms at the weekend.

Bird will be given every opportunity to prove his fitness for the Warriors game but he is recovering more slowly than hoped while Zillman will need to run at tomorrow's final session to be selected.

The double blow is savage luck for the Titans who face a daunting final three rounds of the season as they attempt to hang on to a place in the top eight.

Compounding the injuries to Bird and Zillman is the fact in-form winger Kevin Gordon has been put on ice with a minor calf strain.

Gordon, who has scored four tries in his past two games, missed last night's opposed session against the club's under-20s team and will face a fitness test tomorrow.

David Mead ran at fullback in place of Zillman last night and looks set to start at custodian for the third time this season with Anthony Don returning to the wing.

Mead's two-match cameo in place of Zillman recently resulted in six line breaks for two tries with the Titans winning both games.

Prop Mark Ioane will earn an NRL recall if Bird is ruled out, moving to the bench for his first game in a month after a knee injury.

Ben Ridge will start in the back-row in place of Bird while halfback Albert Kelly moved freely last night and should return to the team after three weeks out with a sternum injury.

The Titans must win at least two of their final three matches with the Warriors game crucial before they face the rampant Roosters and Storm away to finish the season.

The Warriors have won the past five encounters between the two and back-rower Mark Minichiello said the Titans had to be prepared for a fired-up New Zealand outfit desperate to keep their finals hopes alive.

Likely Titans team: David Mead, Kevin Gordon, Jamie Dowling, Brad Takairangi, Anthony Don, Aidan Sezer, Albert Kelly, Ryan James, Beau Falloon, Nate Myles, Ben Ridge, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison. Interchange: Dave Taylor, Luke Douglas, Mark Ioane, Matt Srama.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Oh that's terrible news
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Oh that's terrible news
    Yeah, bit of a shame Meady won't be able to run off Birdy though.

Bird is a big loss.

Oh crap
    Hopefully Flash is good to go, Bird will be a massive loss.
    We have the Mead, the Mead for speed!!!