What positions are played
    how many forwards
    do they have a hooker
    wingers or centres
    six and seven

Can some one enlighten me I have no idea
    I suspect no one has an idea!

This is from the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_league_nines

The laws of the game are the same as standard rugby league laws with the following exceptions.
    Each team is allowed a squad of up to fifteen players, with no more than nine players on the field at any time. Unlimited substitutions are allowed from a named bench of four players.
    The match lasts for 15 minutes, divided into two halves of 7 minutes 30 seconds. There is no half time interval but teams are allowed a maximum of 1 minute to change ends. Each half starts with a place kick.
    Scrums consist of no more than 5 forwards, with a maximum 3 in the front row and 2 in the second row. When the ball is in the scrum no more than 4 players from each team shall act as backs. The ball must emerge from behind the feet of the second row.
    Conversions after a successful try take the form of drop kicks. Players from the team that has conceded the score do not have to retire behind the try line but must not interfere with any conversion attempt.
    When points have been scored the team against which points have been scored will restart the game with a tap restart from the centre of the half-way line.
    When a team is awarded a penalty then play must proceed by way of a tap 10-metres in advance of where the infringement took place.
    And then the Buderus blue print.

Danny Buderus, an Australian rugby league player (currently playing for NRL team Newcastle Knights) has prepared a blueprint for a new rugby league nines format, with the intention of taking rugby league to a more global market,
    Each team would consist of nine on-field players plus five interchange players.
    Games would be played in two 20 minute halves.
    Scrums would be replaced by turnovers.
    Teams would be allowed an unlimited number of interchanges.
    A team would surrender possession if the dummy-half is tackled.
    So I guess the number of forwards and backs is really up to the team.

I guess it depends which variant.
    Squad of 15 vs 14, not a huge difference.

You'd probably not bother with any props, but go for mobile back rowers or defensive centres.
    Hooker or half? Depends on your hooker. Someone like Segyaro would tear apart teams with only 9 on the field, but there's a big risk there if they go with the Buderus rule re dummy half.
    But you'd probably want a hooker for their tackling ability too. Good tackler, fast, agile, good passing game.

For me, ideal Titans would be something like:

Mead
    Gordon
    Takairangi
    Idris
    Don
    Sezer
    Kelly
    James
    Srama
    Miles
    Rankin
    Taylor
    Zillman
    Harrison

You need the speed, but also people who can cover a lot of positions, and I like the idea of a few big men to bust through.
    I bet there's a few under 20s who would get a run.

Most teams would field vastly diff squads to the nrl ones.

Players in our club going to the World Cup will most likely get rested.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

I doubt Idris, Myles or James would get a run in this for two reasons. Firstly I think they should be rested until the club really needs them and secondly the shortened version of the game doesn't suit them either. Better young blokes like Likiliki and Ioane should get their chances ... and even Blair.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    IMO there should be a Indigenous side in the competition...that would be the best of both worlds result.
    That is a great idea but other than that....who cares about the 9's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    That is a great idea but other than that....who cares about the 9's.
    I do. I'll be going. It's not often I can attend rugby league matches of that calibre in New Zealand without watching the warriors and I'm sure most of the NZ league followers feel the same way. It's a spectacle over here and I'm really excited about getting to watch the team I support play, even if it is only in 9s format.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 05-09-13 at 09:59 PM.

It'll be ok to watch I guess (after learning of the possible format), a good kickstart to 2014 season.

But not too keen on the idea of possible pre-season injuries, even though the line up won't resemble that of our usual NRL Comp squad. A one-off match of the All Stars that sees 2 or 3 of our guys in the game is a worthwhile risk for the calibre of the All Star's Match, but 13 (9 fielded 4 benched) in a 9's Tournament, I dunno..
    Last edited by Toads; 05-09-13 at 10:14 PM.

Cartwright means business with prize offer
    Travis Meyn | September 13 2013, 6:03am

THE Titans will field their best possible side in next year's Auckland Nines with coach John Cartwright declaring the Gold Coast is intent on winning the inaugural event.

Cartwright has promised to pick the likes of excitement machines Albert Kelly, David Mead, Kevin Gordon and Dave Taylor in the $2 million pre-season tournament, provided they are fit.

But hooker Matt Srama is likely to miss out as he faces six months on the sidelines because of a shoulder reconstruction.

Srama will go under the knife next week after dislocating his right shoulder in the final round loss to Melbourne last weekend.

Beau Falloon (toe), Luke Douglas (shoulder) and Brad Takairangi (ankle) are also scheduled for off-season surgery, however none are as serious as Srama's.

Cartwright said the Titans would be taking the nine-a-side tournament in February seriously with a $450,000 prize for the winner.

"There's no trials that weekend so it's not any extra play. There'll be less impact in a nines game than a normal game," he said.

"We'll be fielding the best side we can. We can take 16 players so the loads won't be a problem.

"It's certainly decent prize money and we'll be shooting hard for it."

The Titans begin pre-season training on November 4 however a host of players have decided to start their 2014 preparations next week.

The club has organised gym memberships in a bid to keep the players fresh and away from their normal headquarters.

Srama's injury is a crushing blow for the diminutive rake who is facing another injury-plagued pre-season.

Falloon is challenging him as the Titans' first-choice hooker but Cartwright said the 22-year-old was remaining positive.

"It's disappointing he won't get the off-season we would have liked with him.

"He's got a lot of work in front of him," he said.

Co-captain Greg Bird won the Brad Fittler Medal on Wednesday night as the NSW State of Origin player of the year.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...st-titans.html

Thanks for the info Steve
    Got my head around it now

Whilst trials are a way of looking at combinations form etc coaching staff would have a fair idea of who is in the 17 without needing trials

I have never been a fan given all of the injuries that inevitably happen accross the NRL during that period

Nines initiative could to be an exciting concept howevr I have my reservations in terms of injuries

Very dissapointing for young Srama
    I thought the Srama and Falloon combination worked

Just as we have a bit of depth with our hookers having two really good ones
    and young irwin learning the trade

Glad they are resting All Stars in post World Cup years. Seems to me like a fair cycle.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

If we win can we spend the money on Neil Henry?

I'm not sure how nines works. Do you have a fullback? If so do you just have a 4 man left side and 4 man right side or do you have a middle 4 and 2 x 2 man edges?

I'd go with the following

Mead
    Gordon
    Zillman
    Idris
    Likiliki
    Kelly
    Takairangi
    Taylor
    Bird (possibly unavailable)

Bailey
    Ridge
    Minichiello
    Don
    Sezer
    Falloon

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Odwyer would make an excellent nines players IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    No, good money after bad while the current set-up is in place ... give it to Tam for the website.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.