Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Wingers were dropped if they ever, and I mean ever, defended inside their man.
    Being the type of guy who was always stuck out on the chicken-wing, I was always told to never let anyone get outside you, unless you are taking them into touch. Of course, things are a lot different now with kicks to the corner etc, but it still seems that wingers often come in way off there wing, mainly to help defend against big running centres. The solution is to have even bigger defending centres, aka Big Jamma.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    I not saying it is correct, but you would know a lot of defences are very compressed these days. I guess it is to compensate for bigger more damaging runners who need more defenders without leaving gaps inside, which in turn leaves huge gaps on the outside. The the battle is to get it out there before the team can re adjust back out.
    Also, the battle is for the ruck these days, so you want 3 players in a tackle, first to dance, then to wreste to his back, and then they peel off, slowing it down even more. Every fraction of a second allows your defensive line to reset.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    and don stays too far in, but I think that is the coaches wishes.
    Or it could just be this... that comes down to confidence of the coach in his players. He selects the team, he should have faith in his selections.

The edge backrowers make a huge difference. Just look at Beau Scott at the Knights. We get in trouble when ours get too interested in the middle third. Mini is a shocker for this - Taylor and Ridge can be too. When Harrison was out there, we were much better. I agree that combinations are huge and we need to keep working on them with the edge backrowers showing more discipline. We were out numbered several times in the second half on Hurrell's side. Total recipe for disaster.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!