Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sacked Henry could score post in beefed-up Gold Coast

Travis Meyn | 12:01am August 1, 2013

THE Titans have not ruled out chasing sacked Cowboys mentor Neil Henry for an assistant role, with interim boss Darryl Kelly revealing the club's coaching set-up was under scrutiny.

Titans coach John Cartwright yesterday called for the Gold Coast to up their football department spending as it emerged some of their NRL rivals were splurging up to $4 million a year more in the premiership chase.

Henry is renowned for his tactical nous and was an integral part of Queensland's dominance during the first few years of Mal Meninga's dynasty.

Kelly confirmed recruiting an experienced assistant coach was an avenue Titans hierarchy would consider in a bid to become an NRL heavyweight after three lean seasons.

``We haven't considered him (Henry). The last time the football committee met, he wasn't a free agent anyway so it was never brought up,'' Kelly said.

``We're undertaking a review and have been for some time. It's getting to a time of the year when we need to make some decisions but we haven't made any yet.

``We're doing a critical analysis of where we're at, which is something that should be done every year and I'm sure it will be now.

``We're looking at our weaknesses and our strengths and we'll try to overcome those areas we might be short on.

``Some of the things I think might need addressing is whether we've got the right coaching staff in place as far as we haven't got a full-time under-20s coach.''

The Titans have had the same coaching set-up since their inaugural season in 2007 with Steve Murphy and Trevor Gillmeister assisting Cartwright.

Cartwright admitted the game was evolving at a rate which required more support staff, but adding more coaches would be a delicate task.

The Titans suffered huge financial woes last year and Kelly, a white knight investor who helped bail them out with a $3.25 million cash injection, said finances would be a factor in any decisions they make.

``There's a lot of things under consideration but it depends on how much we can spend on it,'' Kelly said.

``If anything, we should have learnt over the last few years that you need a sustainable model to run a football club. That's the number one priority.

``The next thing is trying to win premierships, but if you don't have a club you don't have a team.''

The Titans host Wests at Skilled Park on Sunday in a clash they must win to keep their dwindling finals hopes alive.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Vaguely interested ... if we are to take the Best & Less route because we don't have any money then this may well be the only pathway, however, the warnings bells started when I read "adding more coaches would be a delicate task" assuming that the internal politics wouldn't be for everyone.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

IMO I would love this idea as Carty probably at present thinks that the club has no one that can step straight in should he go or be asked to. Having Henry around would ensure that Carty doesn't get too comfortable.

This would be an outstanding appointment for our club but I take anything written by Travis Meyn with a grain of salt. He is a hack of the highest order.

Any person who is a 'Chief Rugby League Writer' and describes themselves on Twitter as a 'Carlton Blues Tragic' is not worth an ounce of time.

Hey, let's employ the coach of the only team titans can beat no matter what
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Why not demote Carty to assistant coach
    We have the Mead, the Mead for speed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geeman View Post
    Why not demote Carty to assistant coach
    Why should u speak so much truth

Scott Mahon head coach , I like it
    #itaintweaktospeak

I'm not sure what happened in North Queensland with Henry, but before that he was one of the most sort after coaches in the comp. He started the QLD 8 in a row row.

I think it is a great idea... but, I don't think it will happen. We just aren't that lucky.

A good assistant coach should always be on the verge of being a head coach (look at Kevin Walters). I can't see it happening with Murphy.

I have reservations about Walters. Didn't Ipswich get rid of him and Bennett wasn't impressed either from memory?

I've heard everything lately.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I've heard everything lately.
    Assistant to Bennett and then axed in a clean out after which he complained that he felt cheated, then Ipswich where they ****d him and Kerrod but Catalans picked him up where he had a better run before going to Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Assistant to Bennett and then axed in a clean out after which he complained that he felt cheated, then Ipswich where they ****d him and Kerrod but Catalans picked him up where he had a better run before going to Melbourne.
    Yeah I think it hasn't been smooth sailing for Kevin, but he has genuinely learnt and improved, rather than just being a coaching natural from day dot.

Now he is considered quite strong I think.

I can't really debate the Melbourne thing but in this day and age for an assistant coach to leave the premiers and arguably the benchmark of coaching set-ups when they are in a slump and without a new job doesn't auger well, imho. No comments from Bellamy about wishing him luck and what a great job he's done, nor from the club or the players ... makes you wonder. If the Cows are really thinking about Arthur and Barrett then Walters may well be damaged goods ... loved him as a player though.

A lot of good judges with great footy knowledge are saying whoever takes Henry will get a bargain buy whether he is their as an assistant or head coach, they are saying his tactical thinking is second to none.
    I think he would be a good foil for carty