Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

The thing is, I couldn't slightest **** to what other clubs have gone through, or are going through. My only concern is how this Club, that was built on the idea that it was for the Gold Coast and greater Community. And yet every season, it's getting screwed over by the same person calling the shots.

I ask you, karnage. How can anyone genuinely be a "Fan" or a "Supporter" of this rot? Seven years on, 'n nothing has changed. You'd have to have rocks in your head to continually support what's going on. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    What has been overlooked by everybody on here with their satisfaction for Mead being picked at number 1, is that Cartwright has now managed to select three different players at Fullback in the three weeks that Zillman has missed.

Go back to some threads from the wooden spoon year and have a look how annoyed we got with constant chopping and changing.

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

I've got to take exception to the people 'giving up' on 2013. Such statements make you sound like 'fans' rather than 'supporters'. I realise there are some deeper issues in individual cases but every team in the history of RL has been where we are now. Parramatta, the Wests Tigers and St George are there right now!!!

We need to keep putting the pressure on the local media to start reporting the reality and not the airy fairy stories that keep filling the paper. Every time I see a story by Emma Greenwood I want to vomit!!! Change will come, Carty will go and maybe (just maybe...!!) Searle will go too (wishful thinking, sure). If you stay the trip the other side will be so much sweeter. (I'm thinking of Aragorn's speech before the Black Gates of Mordor as I write this)

If you can get to the game turn up, even if it's just to abuse Dave Taylor!!
    I agree on two points. Rankin has now been dumped and probably won't see the light of day at the Titans again, he's the scapegoat. Cartwright wants to talk about confidence, well he's just destroyed one kid's.

And you're right, a supporter sticks through thick and thin. There's ups and downs. You can be angry and upset, you can rage and rant, but you don't walk away from your team. A team is bigger than a coach, bigger than administration, and (if they admin don't destroy the team) will be around a lot longer.

That said, making yourself heard with your feet and your wallet is one of the few ways to get your point across. If someone feels they need to not attend games, so be it. If someone feels they need to go support the bunnies now, well they were only ever on the bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    I ask you, karnage. How can anyone genuinely be a "Fan" or a "Supporter" of this rot? Seven years on, 'n nothing has changed. You'd have to have rocks in your head to continually support what's going on. *shrugs*
    Fan is short for fanatic.
    "A person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal"

So yeah, a person with rocks in their head!

QLD Cup

Despite a tough time against the Rabbits I thought Rankin fought hard to redeem himself. His errors were no worse than Harrison makes in every game. Rankin should be in 6 this week if only because he has a kicking game and can pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Fan is short for fanatic.
    "A person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal"

So yeah, a person with rocks in their head!
    Yeah, that dawned on me after I submitted my post. It does SFA to quell my anger towards those who actually do manage the Club. Searle probably has made Darryl Kelly feel like he's the interim CEO. But they're not going to convince everyone that that's the case.

The thing is, I couldn't slightest **** to what other clubs have gone through, or are going through. My only concern is how this Club, that was built on the idea that it was for the Gold Coast and greater Community. And yet every season, it's getting screwed over by the same person calling the shots.

Can't argue with a single thing that you have said. I have been as critical as ANYBODY on here of management and in particular of John Cartwright. To the point where during this preseason I made a signature for my posts that said "SACK CARTWRIGHT" in bold font. Mods got rid of it.

All I know is that as pissed off as I am with the people in charge I want to stick it out.

Cartwright is a dud coach and Searle is the root of ALL of our problems. I just hope there is a day where they are both gone.

Can't argue with a single thing that you have said. I have been as critical as ANYBODY on here of management and in particular of John Cartwright. To the point where during this preseason I made a signature for my posts that said "SACK CARTWRIGHT" in bold font. Mods got rid of it.

All I know is that as pissed off as I am with the people in charge I want to stick it out.

Cartwright is a dud coach and Searle is the root of ALL of our problems. I just hope there is a day where they are both gone.
    Agree with all of that. Despite my earlier post stating that I sort of hoped the Tigers win this week to heap more pressure on Carty, I will certainly be at the game and without a doubt will renew my Titanium membership nextyear.
    Things will change but it's a matter of how much damage is done on the way down. earlier this year the team and club seemed to be restoring the faith of the community but most of that has all been undone.

Yeah, I didn't think our view differed too much. I'm just going through a very frustrating stage of it all, 'n it's not just because of our current slump. Here's hoping the broom does go through the joint and remove the old wood that is holding this Club back from being a genuine Club for the people, 'n not just a select few..

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Agree with all of that. Despite my earlier post stating that I sort of hoped the Tigers win this week to heap more pressure on Carty, I will certainly be at the game and without a doubt will renew my Titanium membership nextyear.
    Things will change but it's a matter of how much damage is done on the way down. earlier this year the team and club seemed to be restoring the faith of the community but most of that has all been undone.
    Earlier this year, upgrading to Titanium Membership was on the cards for me as well in 2014. But I just can't bring myself to renew it to anything, while we're dealing with same old crap. There needs to be some major changes to the Management 'n Coaching Departments before I can consider it again.

Yeah, I didn't think our view differed too much. I'm just going through a very frustrating stage of it all, 'n it's not just because of our current slump. Here's hoping the broom does go through the joint and remove the old wood that is holding this Club back from being a genuine Club for the people, 'n not just a select few..

Earlier this year, upgrading to Titanium Membership was on the cards for me as well in 2014. But I just can't bring myself to renew it to anything, while we're dealing with same old crap. There needs to be some major changes to the Management 'n Coaching Departments before I can consider it again.
    Buy a sand membership and then just walk in and sit anywhere that you like. My mate did it this year because he was getting married and couldn't afford the price of his usual Gold ticket. He doesn't even know where his seat is. This allows you to still attend games but not fork out 'overs' in support of a crooked regime.

Buy a sand membership and then just walk in and sit anywhere that you like. My mate did it this year because he was getting married and couldn't afford the price of his usual Gold ticket. He doesn't even know where his seat is. This allows you to still attend games but not fork out 'overs' in support of a crooked regime.
    Yeah, I've done this in the past before. But with intentions of upgrading my kids 'n my own membership next year. I wanted to lock in seats that are more suitable to us. As well as financially supporting our team to the best extent that I can. I just cant bring myself to do it at this stage with the current structure..

With that said, I am looking forward to the day it will be worth my while again.

David Nofoluma's try was amazing last weekend. Reminds me of when the Tigers were electric.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Did I just read that Cartwright is putting Harrison in 6? That'll do me. This is worse than bush football. We can only be thankful Parramatta exist, otherwise we would be the laughing stock of the game.

Titans v Wests Tigers preview
    By Nicholas Janzen
    NRL.com
    Thu 01st August, 10:30am

RSS
    Titans v Wests Tigers
    Skilled Park
    Sunday, 3pm

They’re not exactly in form, but there’s plenty for the Titans and the Wests Tigers to play for in their clash at the Gold Coast on Sunday.

The 11th-placed Titans haven’t won in their past four matches, and they’re desperate to return to the winners’ circle and reignite their finals campaign. In the past handful of games they’ve lost to the Rabbitohs (32-4), Sea Eagles (38-20), Panthers (40-18) and Knights (46-16), with their most-recent victory coming against the Origin-depleted Storm (18-12) in Round 15. It’s been a long back half of the season for the Titans, who’ve fallen away badly with just four wins since Round 7 after starting the season with three victories from their opening four matches.

The Tigers, meanwhile, are experiencing that losing feeling too – and on a much bigger scale. They’re currently in 15th position on the ladder and on a three-game losing streak, with defeats to the Sea Eagles (36-18), Warriors (24-14) and Sharks (36-22). Just like the Gold Coast, the Tigers’ last victory came against Melbourne… back in Round 16 when they beat the reigning premiers 22-4.

So, where has it all unravelled for these two teams who were expected to be challenging for top honours in 2013?

For the Titans, their defence continues to prove their Achilles heel – for a side still a hope of qualifying for the top eight, they concede an average of 22.5 points per match (13th in the competition), a record that is simply unacceptable. In the past four weeks, they’ve conceded an average of 39 points per game, too. The Tigers’ defensive record is also poor – they concede 26.1 points per game (15th in the competition) – but perhaps more worrying is the fact their reputation as one of the league’s best attacking sides is fast disappearing. In 2013, they average just 15 points per game – and with a squad that features some of the game’s biggest offensive threats, including Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah, that record simply isn’t good enough.

For both teams – for entirely different reasons – this is a game they simply must win. For the Titans, on 20 competition points, it’s all about staying in reach of the top eight. For the Tigers, a victory is needed to boost morale, to show their fans improvements are being made and, most importantly, to recapture belief as individuals and as a squad heading into next season.

The Titans have made a raft of forced and unforced changes to the team that was demolished against the Rabbitohs last weekend. In a reshuffled line-up, David Mead replaces Jordan Rankin at fullback, with four-try Burleigh Bear Anthony Don coming back into the NRL team on the wing. Ashley Harrison has been named at five-eighth to replace the injured Albert Kelly (sternum) with Aidan Sezer shifting to halfback. Luke Bailey, suffering an ankle injury, has been replaced in the starting front row by Luke Douglas. Matt Srama, also sidelined with an ankle complaint, has been replaced by Beau Falloon. Ben Ridge comes into the starting side, with Ryan James, Luke O’Dwyer and Sam Irwin named alongside David Taylor on the bench.

For the Tigers, their squad hasn’t changed from the team that lost to the Sea Eagles, with Curtis Sironen again named in the run-on team. Shaun Spence has been named in jersey No.19.

Watch Out Titans: There were positive signs for the Tigers in their clash against the Sea Eagles last Monday night – perhaps they’re ever so slowly warming to the task? Their outside backs, in particular, looked particularly threatening, making a combined total of 18 tackle-breaks and three line-breaks. That could spell trouble for a Gold Coast side missing first-choice backline stars William Zillman and Jamal Idris.

Watch Out Wests Tigers: The Titans are ranked fourth in the competition for line-breaks – and the Tigers have struggled containing teams with such attacking potency. Gold Coast average 4.3 line-breaks per game, behind just the Rabbitohs, Sea Eagles and Roosters… and the Tigers haven’t got within cooee of beating either the Rabbitohs (54-10) or the Sea Eagles (26-0 and 36-18) this season. (They haven’t yet played the Roosters.) If the Titans split their defensive line, history says the Tigers should just roll over and concede. The Tigers are yet to win a match in 2013 where they’ve conceded more line-breaks than they’ve made, either.

Plays To Watch: The Titans will be desperate to turn back the clock and rekindle the form they showed against the Storm in June. Their gritty win was built on a smart kicking game and interested and energetic support play – something they’ve been desperately lacking in recent weeks. Look for the likes of Greg Bird, Nate Myles and David Taylor to inspire their troops and get heavily involved.

The under-siege Tigers, meanwhile, with Benji Marshall off to rugby at the end of the season, could look to throw the ball around here. Keep an eye on his running men – option ball runners like Tim Simona, Blake Ayshford and Liam Fulton will be targets in attack. There’s no doubt about the fact, though, the Tigers will kick high to David Nofoaluma’s wing – the rookie flankman, named in the Holden Cup squad at the start of the season, scored one of the most athletic tries of the century from a Benji bomb against Manly last week.

Key Match-Up: Ashley Harrison up against Benji Marshall. Yes, you read that correctly! Harrison has been shifted into the halves to accommodate the loss of Albert Kelly… but one would imagine Greg Bird could slot into the pivot position come kick-off. Still, whoever lines up against Benji has a big job to do. Whichever five-eighth gives his team more spark, direction and higher-quality ball will help their team secure two much-needed competition points.

Where It Will Be Won: Errors. There’s no surprise the Tigers are down at the foot of the table – they commit 11.5 per game, the worst record in the league! The Titans, meanwhile, are only just a little better with 10.3 per match. If Mick Potter’s men are to challenge here, that’s step one. And a big one, too.

The History: Played 10; Titans 5, Tigers 5. From the five games at Skilled Park, the Gold Coast hold a 3-2 advantage.

Match Officials: Referees – Gavin Badger & Alan Shortall; Sideline Officials – Chris Butler & Brenden Wood; Video Referees – Shayne Hayne & Matt Rodwell.

Televised: Channel 9 – Delayed 4pm.

The Way We See It: With the Tigers averaging their fewest number of points away from home in their history (just 11.3 per game), we can’t go past the home side here. The Titans have more to play for – and a win here keeps their finals flame flickering. The Gold Coast by 12 points.

*Statistics: NRL Stats
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Titans v Wests Tigers preview
    The Gold Coast by 12 points

*Statistics: NRL Stats
    the preview writer at nrl.com is surely trolling

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?

Hour of Mead for troubled Titans
    Travis Meyn | 12:30am August 2, 2013

TITANS coach John Cartwright has taken the shackles off Papua New Guinean flyer David Mead in a last-ditch bid to rescue the Gold Coast's ailing finals hopes.

Mead ran at fullback last night during a snap training session that Cartwright summoned in an attempt to get his misfiring team back on track.

Co-captain Greg Bird sat out the session after having an injection in his troublesome ankle but he is expected to play against the Tigers on Sunday.

The Titans, who are on a four-match losing streak, trained against their under-20s team in a 90-minute session Cartwright hopes will ignite them for the must-win clash at Skilled Park.

Shifting the lightning Mead, who's a prolific try-scorer, from the wing is a final roll of the dice for Cartwright, with the Titans needing to win to have any chance of scraping into September action.

And Mead, who is just two tries short of being the first Titan to score 50, said he was ready to make the No. 1 jersey his own as William Zillman battles a groin injury that could see him miss the test of the season.

''I've been working hard all year and my body feels good,'' said Mead, who has suffered two broken jaws this season.

''Carty's decided to put me in there to get a job done.

''I've gone through the game plan with him and he just wants me to go and play my game and trust my instincts.

''Hopefully it's not the case (season over) for Zilly but if I've got to play there then I'll take it with both hands and play as well as I can there.''

Mead directed traffic from the back at Robina last night while veteran lock Ashley Harrison reverted to five-eighth for the first time in five years.

The Titans have lost four straight games by an average of 24.5 points and expecting Mead to perform miracles behind a forward pack that has been monstered recently would be unfair.

But the 24-year-old said he was the fittest he's been and ready to deal with the mammoth workload needed at custodian.

''I feel good right now,'' he said.

''I'm usually not the fittest with endurance but it's something I've picked up this year because of all the running we've done in the pre-season.

''My legs are feeling good and I'm ready to play there.

''I've enjoyed my playing time there in the past with PNG and the few games I've had there with the Titans.''

Wests Tigers winger David Nofoaluma will head to Skilled Park brimming with confidence after his spectacular leaping try against the Sea Eagles on Monday night.

It's been heralded the best try since Mead's miraculous pick-up against the Sharks in 2011 and the Titans flyer said he was happy to pass on the mantle.

''It was better than mine to be honest,'' he said.

''I rewound it and played it slow motion. I wanted to see the detail of it. It was pretty good.

''He had no thoughts of self preservation. He just wanted to get the ball down.''

Mead said he would play for PNG in the season-ending World Cup.
    #itaintweaktospeak