Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Titans still in hunt for star player

Travis Meyn | 12:01am August 15, 2013

THE Titans haven't given up hope of landing a marquee player next year after last night bolstering their ranks with four new signings.

The Gold Coast confirmed Storm centre Maurice Blair and Canterbury young gun Paul Carter the 21-year-old son of Penrith Panthers great Steve Carter will join the Gold Coast on two-year deals while 18-year-old Rabbitohs halfback Christian Hazard will add some depth to the halves.

The club has also moved to cover the loss of promising young centre Hymel Hunt by signing Tongan international Siuatonga Likiliki from Newcastle for one year.

The additions will help the club's depth, especially in the outside backs, but aren't the type of big-name signings they've netted in recent years, such as Jamal Idris and Dave Taylor.

Interim boss Darryl Kelly said the club hadn't closed its books and was still on the lookout for a marquee signing despite the talent pool running dry.

''We're looking around for a few options,'' he said.

''I'm still confident with our full side on the paddock we'd be more than competitive in the competition against any team.

''Carty (coach John Cartwright) is responsible for the performance on the field so his thoughts play a big part.''

Likiliki will join the Gold Coast next year as under-20s prodigy Hunt heads to the Melbourne Storm on a three-year deal.

The imposing 23-year-old tips the scales at 97kg and has spent the year in the NSW Cup after having a knee reconstruction.

He featured in the Tonga-Samoa Pacific Test this year and has made three NRL appearances two for the Knights and one for the Warriors where he made his first-grade debut in 2009.

The club's lack of centres has been exposed recently with Idris on the sidelines with a broken leg.

Burleigh junior Jamie Dowling has filled his place admirably for the past four weeks, but is set to miss Saturday's game against the Cowboys with a knee injury.

''He'd be in some serious doubt for this weekend,'' Titans physiotherapist Greg Condon said.

If Dowling is ruled out it's likely utility Luke O'Dwyer will fill in at left centre while William Zillman will train this morning in the hope of making his return from a six-week lay-off with a groin injury and is another centre option.

Hooker Matt Srama is expected to return in place of Sam Irwin, who played just 10 minutes in the Titans' gutsy win over the Bulldogs on Monday night.

Injured halfback Jamal Fogarty yesterday inked a two-year contract extension with the Titans.
    #itaintweaktospeak

If you're out there Darryl Kelly.. Sorry to say, Buddy. But you'd be in Searle's/Cartwright's loop as much as we are..

Previous reports have already proven that.

I hope we're not just chasing a marquee player for the sake of signing a marquee player

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    I hope we're not just chasing a marquee player for the sake of signing a marquee player
    Exactly. Especially if said marquee player winds up being another fat bum like Dave Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    I think its exactly why they are chasing a marquee player.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

But the question to be asked is WHAT marquee players are available for next year ?? Not many I would say...

how about a marquee coach?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    how about a marquee coach?
    There are some whispers getting stronger about a coach becoming our assistant coach
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    There are some whispers getting stronger about a coach becoming our assistant coach
    MMMM...is he a current First Grade coach that will not be in his job next year ??

Surely the pot of gold must be getting a little low... Myles, Bird, Idris, Taylor and then needing to keep Sezer, Kelly, Srama happy...
    I love Aiden Sezer so much I made his profile pic my avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    This is a little exciting and intriguing. If it happens, he still needs wriggles his way into the clique, otherwise he won't be much help at all, no matter how experienced he is.

Banned

It's probably been posted somewhere else on this forum but apparently Anthony Milford is interested in coming to us. What do we think?

Quote Originally Posted by CoastSportsFan View Post
    It's probably been posted somewhere else on this forum but apparently Anthony Milford is interested in coming to us. What do we think?
    All I've read is that Carty is interested in bringing him. Does he want to come too?

And the general consensus here is to get him. Talented player.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Travis Meyn | 12:01am August 15, 2013

Interim boss Darryl Kelly said...

''I'm still confident with our full side on the paddock we'd be more than competitive in the competition against any team.

''Carty (coach John Cartwright) is responsible for the performance on the field''
    This is all I got out of that entire article.

All the questions and answers are in those 2 sentences.

Stop looking elsewhere, start looking at what what we've got and why we are getting the results we are getting. All the answers are in the 2 sentences above. Everything else is just smoke and mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    This is all I got out of that entire article.

All the questions and answers are in those 2 sentences.

Stop looking elsewhere, start looking at what what we've got and why we are getting the results we are getting. All the answers are in the 2 sentences above. Everything else is just smoke and mirrors.
    And smokey mirrors