Default players getting away with anything these days

To be 100% honest im starting to get sick and tired of seeing player after player headlining the news because the couldn't control there own behavior. Seriously im not one the normally get annoyed about this as im only 18 myself and i see friends and other people my age do stupid things just like these guys are doing but when you are young kids idols and representing rugby league you have a certain commitment to the game to not be a total nob stick.

i know some of the things these players are getting in trouble for a quite petty and are things that alot of people get in trouble for quite regularly but its more the repeat offenders (aka furgo) that are the main problem. What kind of lesson is taught when you get a small slap on the wrist and a $10000 fine. Even to the players like dugan who were sacked, they should not be allowed to play again this year.

and yes im 18 i do remember someone asking my age in the birthday thread a while back as it is not on my profile

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?

No more chances: Petero
    By Petero Civoniceva
    NRL.com
    Wed 19th June, 12:00pm

Print
    Decrease Font
    Increase Font
    RSS

Petero Civoniceva says enough is enough when it comes to off-field indiscretions by the game's stars.
    I wrote last week of the need to take a stand against fighting after the incident between Paul Gallen and Nate Myles in State of Origin I. Unfortunately, I feel that it’s also time we took a stand against players that continually bring our game into disrepute.

It is so disappointing to hear of a number of off-field incidents over the past week that has cast a negative pall over our game.

We need to draw a line in the sand. No more chances.
    Clubs are doing their utmost in trying to educate young players in the right ways to approach what they do both on and off the football field and if the message is not getting through then we simply have to cut players loose. It’s disrespectful to those that are doing the right thing and appreciate the privilege of playing professional football to do anything else. If so many guys can get it right but a small group continues to get it wrong, it’s time we took action. It sound harsh but perhaps they should find another line of work.

I believe the NRL should seriously look at deregistering the contracts of repeat offenders. Being part of the Players’ Association for so many years I was always focused on the welfare of the players but when do we say enough is enough? And all of this in such a big week; a week that should be a celebration of our game and State of Origin. Instead, we have to deal with these events.

We’ve reached a point where decisions have to be made and players have to be let go. We’ve already seen a situation this year where Josh Dugan was released by Canberra only to be picked up by St George Illawarra a few weeks later. If Blake Ferguson were to be released it’s quite possible another club would pick him up as well.

What message does that send to our supporters and the players doing the right thing? ‘Yeah you can get into trouble but don’t worry; you can just pick up another opportunity at a club down the road’. It just doesn’t seem to send a strong enough message. I don’t want to sound too harsh but the supporters and all those players that do the right thing have had enough.

I also wrote last week about trying to grow the game and focusing on what direction we want our game to go. The game has tried everything possible and the clubs have tried everything possible to prevent it but when you’re getting repeat offenders there has to be a line in the sand where we say enough is enough.

We’ve got to give those opportunities to the thousands and thousands of players that dream of playing in the NRL. There are plenty of young guys waiting in the wings desperate for an opportunity. When we have guys that don’t realise how lucky they are and seem so desperate to throw it away, well, I’d rather see one of these young kids given his chance instead.

And you know what? Perhaps if we start deregistering repeat offenders, somewhere down the track there will be the realisation: ‘What an amazing opportunity I let slip.’ Maybe then it will hit home what they’ve done. Maybe that’s what has to happen.

I must admit I feel sorry for all the NSW players that are innocent victims in this. They must be devastated. I know from experience that when you turn up for that first State of Origin camp you all have one goal as a team, which is to win the series. To have three of your players, three influential players, going off and doing something of their own accord that will hinder the performance of the team in trying to reach that goal, it would be very disappointing. I always wanted to be around guys that I knew would put in for me.

I also feel sorry for the clubs, the supporters, the communities, the sponsors that pour in so much money into the game, the regular mums and dads who struggle each week to get their kids along to an NRL game or buy a jersey and the majority of players that understand who they are representing. It’s a shame we have this small minority of guys who tarnish the game and bring so much negative publicity to a game we all love.

I say it’s a minority because there are so many guys out there who are so passionate and love going out into the communities to give back to the game. They understand the responsibilities that go with that. I know all clubs have great community programs and do their very best to get out and support their communities.

A lot of guys are also studying part-time while they are playing. They have set themselves goals of what they want to do and what they want to achieve not only on the football field and off the football field. There are so many great stories. We had an Academic Team of the Year last year that the Players’ Association named and to hear about some of the courses the guys are undertaking – there are some guys really working hard to achieve as much as they can outside of the game. It’s a shame we don’t hear about them more often. Instead we hear about the small minority that get themselves in trouble.

I dream of the day when that is no longer the case.

I don't think it matters how old you are, Mate. Some of us older crew don't get it either. It's been going on for years 'n even with the Integrity Commission, I tend to think we'll see more get off with mild/moderate outcomes, not much different than what we've previously seen before the Unit was established.

Ye sit is getting worse.
    Funnily i had a good chat to a few lads the other weekend who had there kids plying under 8 or 9s, in regards to fighting in the game, they all agreed it was not really the fighting that was the concern but the things that are happening off the field, because there kids ask more questions about that then the fighting. It seems they get away with it so to a kid they start to think thats how it is.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

seriously though putting a street sign through someones window, assaulting a lady where is the respect.

Queensland State of Origin coach Mal Meninga kicked out of Brisbane bar
    Peter Badeland Dean Ritchie
    The Courier-Mail
    June 19, 2013

EXCLUSIVE :MAROONS coach Mal Meninga was asked to leave a Brisbane bar by security in the early hours of Wednesday morning as the Queensland camp celebrated Billy Slater and Cameron Smith's 30th birthdays.

But Meninga tonight insisted he was not intoxicated, saying he left with Maroons assistant coach Allan Langer and star pivot Johnathan Thurston after complying with a request from hotel management.

Meninga was given a bottle of water on his way out.

The incident occurred around 1.10am this morning at the Down Under Bar and Grill in Brisbane's CBD.

The Courier-Mail understands Meninga had consumed one beer at the pub when he stepped behind a service area asking to be served a drink.

Security intervened and ordered Meninga to leave the establishment for entering an area that was off-limits to patrons.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Sh#t I've been thrown out of the odd place but don't coach an Origin side
    #itaintweaktospeak

"players getting away with anything these days"

I was thinking the opposite to this...players used to do a lot more then what you've heard recently...It's starting to get reported and fine more often now.

The modern day fan expects players to be saints and want to sack every player that makes a mistake.

It's a tough game and takes a tough individual to play the game.
    What do you want these types of guys to turn to...fighting, bikies?

A little blemish here and there with the fines there are currently giving are fine by me.
    It's hard for these guys to go out and let their hair down without some clown trying to make a name for himself.
    They might be getting the money but they aren't as free as the rest of us.

Yeah, nothing wrong with mild indiscretions. Most of us have done dumb things while intoxicated, and should be viewed as such. For instance, Maninga's latest incident doesn't appear to have much in it. Josh Dugan's actions this year appear to be more of a wayward player, and nothing much in it (iirc).

But then, you have incidences like what Ben Te'o is tied up in, and when Robert Lui assaulted his girlfriend. Even one in our own camp stuffed up badly before moving to our Club. Those three cases that I mentioned is just not on. Either in NRL or everyday life..

You're right, Chaos. A majority of us are quick to jump on them in most cases. But the players are paid to be professional these days, and to some extent. They should act that way, on and off the paddock. I know if I was on 100k plus a year, I'd be doing my utmost to ensure that I kept that paycheck coming in.

On a side note. I don't buy into this theory that Sports People should be Role Models. Their achievements might be something that can be admired and/or used as level for others to aim at or achieve in their own life. But yeah, not Role Models or Heroes. That sort of thing should be should be reserved to those who achieve great achievements in everyday life. Like Service Men & Women, Doctors, Firies, Surf Life Savers and so on..

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    On a side note. I don't buy into this theory that Sports People should be Role Models. Their achievements might be something that can be admired and/or used as level for others to aim at or achieve in their own life. But yeah, not Role Models or Heroes. That sort of thing should be should be reserved to those who achieve great achievements in everyday life. Like Service Men & Women, Doctors, Firies, Surf Life Savers and so on..
    Your kind of right...we shouldn't expect all sports people to be role models...but role models shouldn't be confined to one part of the community either.
    Not all of the best players are suitable

Rugby league is lucky in the fact we have the best player and the most suitable person for a role model in Cameron Smith.

In my opinion these men are professional athletes and their bodies are their tools of their trade.
    Clubs are paying anywhere up to 600 thousand+ dollars and a lot of time for these players to get bodies into peak condition to be able to play.
    Players who want to abuse their bodies have no place in the game these days.
    I believe a 100% alcohol ban to all players.
    If they need to relax go and have a massage spa or game of golf. It doesn't cost them anything.
    The players are asking for more and more money each year yet they continue this behavior.
    I believe it needs to start with the NRL. The 2 sides battling out the pinnacle match of rugby league are the Qld XXXX Maroons and the NSW VB Blues. The cigarette companies were banned and I believe the same goes for the alcohol.
    These players are role models wether they like it or not.