First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

Default Hooker set to leave Warriors

Hooker Nathan Friend looks set to leave the Warriors at the end of the season as the picture around halves and hookers becomes increasingly congested.

The 32-year-old has been a fixture at Mt Smart Stadium for the past two seasons but is off contract at the end of 2013.

The club have been in talks about his future and it appears he has been told they won't be offering him a new deal.

"I maybe looking for a new home in 2014," Friend tweeted last night, which came two days after telling his followers he was due to find out his fate from the club.

The Warriors are on the verge of signing Cronulla five-eighth Chad Townsend for 2014 and they already have Shaun Johnson, Thomas Leuluai and Harry Siejka on their books.

It's expected Leuluai will move to hooker next season and Friend's departure would free up some room in the salary cap for the club to sign England fullback Sam Tomkins.

The Warriors are reportedly taking up an option to retain Pita Godinet next season but Alehana Mara is expected leave.

Friend is a hard-working player who has averaged 43 tackles a game this season. He's played 161 NRL games since his debut for Brisbane in 2002 but has had issues with his shoulders over the past couple of seasons.

Injuries...and major injuries at that has been Friend's issue not his effort and determination. Unfortunately for him he may struggle to find a new home for a price that he would like.

Maybe NQ may take a punt on him?

A few on here already know that Friendy is a mate of mine, he was told in January that the club would be taking up their option for 14' but yesterday told him they have had a change of plans & he won't be required after this season, which is strange considering he had his best game ever for the Warriors last week & his shoulder is now 100%

He still thinks he has plenty to offer to a club but he is a funny Hobbit & said if worst comes to worst he'll come back home & play for the Southport Sharks

I had to remind him that its an AFL Club & he said
    "I'd kill it with my right boot, me & Favola"
    #itaintweaktospeak

lol Pete ... I think NQ would jump at him ... leading that pack around would be a great gig.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

At 32, you'd think England was on the cards?

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    lol Pete ... I think NQ would jump at him ... leading that pack around would be a great gig.
    Thats where i think he will be a chance of still playing in the NRL & they zero in the hooker ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_89 View Post
    He's no too keen on the UK.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Warriors seem keen to put Thomas Leuluai at hooker. I guess that is why Warriors want to punt Friend.
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

Friend is still capable of playing NRL for at least another 2 years but injuries and his asking price will dictate whether another club picks him up.

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_89 View Post
    True. I think we will see him over there. Hopefully at one of my favourite teams, Les Catalans or London. He can win some silverware over there.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Any news on Friendy?
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER