Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I was going next week... now I might miss the game for a big event in Canberra.
    That may be a wise choice
    #itaintweaktospeak

Tate yet to decide on Qld Origin future
    By Laine Clark
    AAP
    Thu 20th June, 6:46pm

Queensland veteran Brent Tate has yet to decide in the 2013 Origin series will be his last
    He is yet to decide whether this year's State of Origin series will be his last.

But Queensland veteran Brent Tate's fate might be decided for him if NSW seal their first series victory since 2005 with a game two win in Brisbane on Wednesday night.

The usually loyal Queensland coach Mal Meninga has already sounded his intentions by hailing a team "mini-transition" and ditching incumbents Ash Harrison and David Shillington for June 26's Origin II.

The 31-year-old Tate - a veteran of 19 Origins - survived the game two cut but might not be so lucky if the Blues emerge with a rare series win.

The likes of Melbourne's Will Chambers and Newcastle flyer Dane Gagai were believed to have been considered for an extended Queensland game two bench before Meninga's final 17 was revealed.

But rather than fear change, Tate embraced Meninga's new selection stance after feeding off the arrival of new faces - Manly playmaker Daly Cherry-Evans and Canberra enforcer Josh Papalii - at their Sunshine Coast team camp.

"To be fair, it's the direction we have to take because there are guys that are getting on a bit," Tate said.

"(But) having these younger guys around is really infectious.

"While we're all feeling for Shillo and Harro, we're excited for these boys and we've got to support them."

Tate recently signed a one-year NRL contract extension with North Queensland but seemed no closer to deciding his representative future.

Tate is Queensland's oldest player following the axing of 32-year-old Harrison, ahead of fellow 31-year-olds Corey Parker and Justin Hodges.

Hodges has already indicated the 2013 series might be his last.

"Obviously, I know I'm coming to the end of my Origin career," Tate said.

"There's a lot of kids knocking on the door.

"I'll make a decision that's fair on myself, Queensland and my club.

"It is coming up to the back-end of my career and I'm aware of that."

Tate might be the oldest Maroon but also has one of the biggest hearts.

He famously came back from three knee reconstructions to earn his first Origin recall in four years in 2012 to help Queensland seal a seventh straight series.

Typically, Tate said he would shelve thoughts about his future as he prepared for Queensland's crunch Origin II showdown at Suncorp Stadium.

"No, it won't (play on his mind)," he said.

"My focus is doing a job for the boys and not letting them down on Wednesday night."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Te'o puts Papalii on road to Queensland
    Travis Meyn | 12:01am June 21, 2013

MAROONS hitman Josh Papalii has revealed Gold Coast product Ben Te'o was the man behind him pledging his allegiance to Queensland.

Te'o secretly helped Papalii through the eligibility process last year as the Kiwi-born wrecking ball was caught in a tug-of-war between New Zealand and Queensland.

Te'o, a former Junior Kiwi, went through a similar situation before making his Maroons debut in last year's decider. And the Keebra Park product was a key figure in Queensland debutant Papalii defecting on his country of birth.

''I spoke to Benny and he told me to not be selfish but look after my family,'' the Canberra star said. ''That's all I'm doing.''

''To be honest, it wasn't (a tough decision). I had my family there and I put them and God before everything else. It's paid off and I'm thankful I stuck by my decision.''

The Te'o and Papalii cases have created a stir south of the Tweed as Queensland coach Mal Meninga pushes the boundaries with his recruitment.

Te'o moved to Australia as a 17-year-old but never held strong ties to his motherland.

Papalii, 21, migrated to Logan when he was five and said Queensland was the only home he's known.

''I don't remember my life until I was six. All I've known is Queensland,'' he said.

''I felt like I owed Queensland something for everything they've done, not only for myself but also my family.

''If you don't want to play for a state, country or club then don't. Play for who you want to play for as long as it's in the guidelines.

''If anyone needs help with decisions like that, especially young Polys (Polynesians), I'm always willing to help.

''I'd tell them to just do what's best for themselves. Not in a selfish way.''

Papalii originally pledged his allegiance to New Zealand before defecting last September and Meninga said he didn't try to sway the 110kg enforcer.

''I never really tried to convince him. I said: 'I'd love you to be part of it but at the end it's your decision','' he said.

''He sat down with his parents and manager more than he sat down with me and made the decision that he wanted to play for Queensland. It's great for Queensland. He's in his third year of first grade now and is getting good game time.

''He's level-headed, trains hard and is the type of person you want your kids to look up to.

''He's a player of tremendous talent and his better days are in front of him. He's well-suited to Origin footy.''
    #itaintweaktospeak

Queeniwislander
    #itaintweaktospeak

QueeNZlander.

I hate this kind of bull****. Sure if he moved here young, but come on, he was a Junior Kiwi!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Teo probably reminded Papalii of the bigger pay cheque he would receive if he played for QLD.
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

SO basically he is saying he is playing for the money , not for the pride and honour in the QLD jersey ? SO if they win or loose it means nothing to him ?
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Its a fact that there is a financial incentive to be a Maroon or Kangaroo over a Kiwi. Bigger pay and more matches.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Its a fact that there is a financial incentive to be a Maroon or Kangaroo over a Kiwi. Bigger pay and more matches.
    That's unfortunate to learn that. As it is/was the pinnacle of most Queensland Rugby League Players to pull on a Maroon Jersey. If the monetary value surpasses the passion, and this trend continues, then things look pretty bleak.
    Last edited by Toads; 22-06-13 at 09:25 AM.

Go Blues!

Under 4 hours to kick off, Beer is flowing, Ribs are cooking, will be a good night.

Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Greg Bird Man of the Match
    #itaintweaktospeak

Just cracked a bottle of Bundy 'n sunk a Nip Pourer into it. Gunna need it to keep warm and for either Commiserations or Celebrations. Hopefully the latter..

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Greg Bird Man of the Match
    This

2nd minute.. nice

Good to see they make sure it goes to Game 3 , Cash cow NRL.

SHocking game to watch NSW knew they were going to come out like they did but seem to not care.