Bears tough out draw with Dolphins

Tries to iSelect Titans duo Jordan Atkins and Steve Michaels helped feeder club Burleigh Bears tough out a 16-all draw with Redcliffe Dolphin Oval in a thrilling 12th round Intrust Super Cup clash on Sunday.

The Bears used a strong wind to their advantage in the first half and jumped out to a good lead, only for the Dolphins to take advantage of that same wind in the second half and force their way back into the match.

?I couldn?t be prouder of the 17 players I?ve got in (the sheds),? Bears coach Carl Briggs said after the game.

?I asked them to give me everything they?ve got and that?s what they?ve done. I asked them to front up defensively and they did that. The players just kept turning up; there were no lapses.

?Sometimes when you have a draw you feel like it?s a point lost, but I feel like that is a point gained today. There are some sore bodies in there today but there are also some very, very proud men.?

The Bears spent the entire second half under enormous pressure but the opening stanza was arguably the best, most disciplined Burleigh has been all season.

They defended strongly and took advantage of an outstanding kicking performance by halfback Jacob Grant to be in total control of field position.

Both Jordan Atkins and Steve Michaels picked up tries while Jordan Rankin slotted two sideline conversions to put the Bears in front 12-0 at the break.

Things didn?t go as smoothly for the Bears in the second half as possession and momentum swung.

They didn?t receive a penalty in the second 40 minutes and had their backs against the wall, but they kept turning up.

Luke Page, Darren Griffiths and James Stuart all went down hurt at different stages but battled on, Tyler Chadburn ran 60 metres in cover defence to make a try saving tackle; these were just some of the huge efforts made by Bears players.

Two tries to Redcliffe winger Delroy Berryman closed the gap to two points, but a brilliant solo effort by Tyron Haynes late in the game put the margin back out to a converted try.

The Dolphins wouldn?t go away however and a try to interchange hooker Tui Samoa in the dying minutes saw both teams walk away with a point.

?We played for 80 minutes. We were the ones taking the shots at field goal at the end trying to maybe win the game,? Dolphins coach John Dixon said.

?Give Burleigh their credit, they did well to get out to a good lead, but we were chasing our tail for most of the game.

?They had twice the possession we did in the first half and had the wind at their back. To come in at 12-0 at the break, we were disappointed with the scoreboard but we weren?t disheartened by the scoreboard.

?We knew we could get those points back in the second half and as it turns out we scored 16 points of our own.?

One of the most pleasing aspects of the game for Bears supporters would have been the performance of young halves combination Tyler Chadburn and Jacob Grant.

With the likes of Todd Seymour, Jamie Dowling and Sam Irwin all missing they took on the playmaking duties and excelled.

?Tyler stepped back up today and did not look out of place. We know he is a quality footballer and he showed that today,? Briggs said.

?Jacob was outstanding. That was his best game in the Intrust Super Cup.

?He?s been steadily improving but he looked like a seasoned halfback at this level today with the way he controlled the game.

?He?s 21 and Tyler is 19. That bodes well for our future. ?

The result puts the Bears equal with Central Queensland Capras on nine competition points in 10th spot on the ladder.

Maenwhile, the Norths Devils scored a 16-14 win over Tweed Heads Seagulls at BIshop Park yesterday.

NEXT WEEK?S GAMES

Saturday 8 June

Ipswich Jets v Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles 3:00pm North Ipswich Reserve
Mackay Cutters v Redcliffe Dolphins 6:00pm Virgin Australia
Northern Pride v Tweed Heads Seagulls 6:30pm Barlow Park

Sunday 9 June

Easts Tigers v Wynnum Manly Seagulls 2:00pm Langlands Park
Burleigh Bears v CQ Capras 2:00pm Pizzey Park* (Ch 9)
Norths Devils BYE
Souths Logan Magpies BYE

The loss leaves the Seagulls in seventh place on the ladder ahead of next week's clash against competition front runners the Northern Pride.

http://www.titans.com.au/news-display/titans/76169