First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

Default Racism in Sports

After reading the 50 million articles relating to adam goodes being called an ape. I have decided that ill put my point across and see what other people thoughts are.
    So its indigenous round in the Afl, And adam goodes gets called an ape by a 13 year old girl.
    This is like the Andrew symonds-harbajan singh racial incident in the cricket.

This is my view and my view only- If you get called an animal name does that really come across as racist. My friends call me an Ape simply for the fact im hairy as an ape. Adam Goodes has quite alot of facial hair and i think adam goodes has taken this completly out of context. Its not like he was called a black ape or any other name describing him. I dont think the 13yo girl had any intentions of being racists.

I was at the SFS last year for a game involving the titans, and the oppositions supporters were racially abusing our players calling them black ...... .

I dont think being called an Ape is racial especially if your hairy

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Titans Fanatic View Post
    After reading the 50 million articles relating to adam goodes being called an ape. I have decided that ill put my point across and see what other people thoughts are.
    So its indigenous round in the Afl, And adam goodes gets called an ape by a 13 year old girl.
    This is like the Andrew symonds-harbajan singh racial incident in the cricket.

This is my view and my view only- If you get called an animal name does that really come across as racist. My friends call me an Ape simply for the fact im hairy as an ape. Adam Goodes has quite alot of facial hair and i think adam goodes has taken this completly out of context. Its not like he was called a black ape or any other name describing him. I dont think the 13yo girl had any intentions of being racists.

I was at the SFS last year for a game involving the titans, and the oppositions supporters were racially abusing our players calling them black ...... .

I dont think being called an Ape is racial especially if your hairy
    I really wanted to stay off this subject as nothing positive will come out of it but I will mention something that happened some time ago.....

An International Company I worked for around 20 years ago released an Internal colour brochure on company locations around the world. Rather than have a dot or a star for each office, they had a figure of a person. Except for Africa, they had a picture of an ape. I still to this day do not know how this brochure got past proofreaders, Managers and the like, but I can only assume that when discovered someone got their ar$e kicked.

So, the word 'ape' is not new and IMO certainly can be used in a rascist fashion. As Adam said, the girl may not be a rascist, but she lives in a society where rascism flourishes (both ways). She meant what she said, I just don't know if she understood what she said.

For my two bobs..

Calling someone an 'Ape' and how it's perceived can have a lot to do with your cultural upbringing (similar for a lot of other words). So in saying that, I think you'd be doing a good job to insult a Australian WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant) by referring to them as an "Ape". But in other countries like India, Pakistan 'n so on. It might be a challenge to find a more prominent insult. Admittedly, Australia being a Multi-Cultural Society, such an insult will be more prominent to some than others..

Just for an example, I was in a heated discussion (on the phone) with a person (not of Australian origins) in regards to an insurance claim a few weeks ago, and because I got a little pissed with them because they were withholding me from putting me through to their supervisor, I blurted out the word "Bloody". Well, from that point, the person wanted to terminate the phone call. I eventually did get to speak to the supervisor, but only after explaining that the word "Bloody" isn't regarded as a swear or derogatory word within Australia.

So with that said. When you live in a Multi-Cultural Country, where do you draw the line when you have conflicting opinions throughout Society?

As for the AFL Girl, I think she'll come out worse for wear. Infact, the way it was blown out of proportion (in my opinion), I think it'll have an affect on the her for many years to come. Meanwhile the player would've most likely be over it and moved on..
    Last edited by Toads; 26-05-13 at 09:32 AM. Reason: typo's

Big title for the thread, and to answer that question, I would say yes, there is, and probably always will be racism in sport, and in society.

I have a lot more to say, but I just deleted it because it would probably just get "moderated" anyway.

Basically, I call anyone who does something stupid a goose. They are mainly white/caucasian.
    No one has ever accused me of being racist because of it.

If i say David Taylor runs through the defense like a rampaging Rhino, no one would raise an eyebrow.
    If I make a similar comment about big Jamma, well, I would be careful not to for that very reason....

My big issue with the term "racism/racist" is how it is misused and over used for dramatic effect rather than accuracy.

Ever heard a Muslim claim how someone who doesn't like Islam is racist? What a goose!

Eddie McGuire is the biggest idiot. If a 13 year old says something stupid she is crucified as a racist. OK. But when Eddie does it, eyes wide open, its a "gaffe".

Did anyone hear Eddie on the radio? It was cringeworthy and he doubled down and tried to get out of it just making it worse. His co host just let him dangle on the rope.

Unbelievable.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

People have called Greg an ape, I have in the past. Haha.

But I guess the moral of the story is just be careful and consider how others may view whatever you are going to say.

Some people are racist low lives, sadly they exist.

Reminds me of when was younger I used to refer to Panthers players as black bastards. Haha. I've definitely called Steve that. (A Panthers fan) I also used to do that with other colours too though.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    I really wanted to stay off this subject as nothing positive will come out of it but I will mention something that happened some time ago.....

An International Company I worked for around 20 years ago released an Internal colour brochure on company locations around the world. Rather than have a dot or a star for each office, they had a figure of a person. Except for Africa, they had a picture of an ape. I still to this day do not know how this brochure got past proofreaders, Managers and the like, but I can only assume that when discovered someone got their ar$e kicked.

So, the word 'ape' is not new and IMO certainly can be used in a rascist fashion. As Adam said, the girl may not be a rascist, but she lives in a society where rascism flourishes (both ways). She meant what she said, I just don't know if she understood what she said.
    Well said. I think you are right what she said.

I can't believe that company made that bochure... just wow...

Saw this on an afl forum. LOL

Eddie currently getting carved up by journos at his presser.

Eddie is a goose!

For me, the bottom line with racism is whether you say something with the intent to belittle/cause emotional harm etc based on someones race. But it seems that most of the time it is the media or hand-wringing do-gooders who take the most offence.

Eddie shows how stupidity can often trump any other human failing.

I think the backlash against Eddie has been tempered because of the power he has at Collingwood, the AFL and the media through NINE and Foxtel.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I think the backlash against Eddie has been tempered because of the power he has at Collingwood, the AFL and the media through NINE and Foxtel.
    The thing is, I wouldn't call what Eddie said racist, I would just call it stupid.

Apparently Racism isn't what you say anymore, it's how the other person accepts it..

If that's the case, people throughout society will have excuse the fact that I'm not a mind-reader and I'm known to make mistakes. I guess I'll be getting labelled a Racist for my remaining years..