Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Did you see James turn the game against Parra when he came on? He snapped all those who ran at him in half! He mightn't be getting the roll on that you're looking for, but I reckon he was pretty good against the Eels and expect him to be up for this game. The Cowboys have an excellent prop rotation which will be down on troops but Sims and Bolton are both very accomplished and going well.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

I'm looking forward to seeing Dave Taylor and Takairangi terrorizing the Cowboys right side of Winterstein and Hall/Taumalolo. Should be some carnage.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Junior

I love that 1. we have the depth to keep positional changes to a minimum and 2. That Carty hasn't been tempted to make those changes anyway.

What's the story on Ridge??

Titans want Coal Train steamed up

DAVE Taylor will be given until match eve to prove his fitness for the Gold Coast Titans' crucial clash against the Cowboys on Sunday with the club sweating on the giant forward's availability to bolster a pack decimated by Origin and injury.

The Titans will be without Maroons representatives Nate Myles and Ashley Harrison, while lock Greg Bird will turn out for the Blues.

Taylor has been named to start in the second-row but coach John Cartwright conceded he would be ''pushing it'' to overcome a calf strain in time for Sunday's match.

''We'll give him until Saturday,'' Cartwright said.

''If he can't train Thursday we'll have some cover there but we'll give him until the final training session to prove his fitness.''

Taylor missed the Titans' win against the Eels in Mudgee on Sunday with a calf strain, with Cartwright denying he had been cautious in a bid to ensure the edge forward was available for the Cowboys clash.

''He couldn't play. Anyone with a strain will know you're only going to make it worse (by forcing it) ... but hopefully it's only a one-week injury.

''We will be pushing it this week but the medical staff are pretty confident.''

Luke O'Dwyer has been named at lock but still requires a clearance from his surgeon after being sidelined for four weeks with a broken jaw.

The absence of Taylor or O'Dwyer would push the Titans to crisis point, with the club experiencing several injuries to its fringe forwards.

Ben Ridge is still two weeks away from returning from a pectoral injury, while Tweed Heads back-rower Cody Nelson, who had a strong off-season with the Titans, is out for the season after rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament in March.

''We've got a lot of injuries in our back-row and the guys that are away with Origin are all back-rowers as well,'' Cartwright said.

''That's where we've been tested the most.''

Jamie Dowling comes on to the bench and his versatility will be key, with Cartwright likely to be forced to shuffle his troops considerably throughout the match.

''Jamie can cover anywhere from fullback to back-row and hooker, so he's a very handy guy to have on the bench,'' Cartwright said.

''He hasn't played a lot of first grade but he's a very experienced player and he's a local boy.

''He's come through our under-18s and under-20s program and I see him playing a lot of first grade down the track.

''For a guy who can play so many positions and play them the way he does we're lucky to have him.''

Burleigh lock Shane Gray and three-quarter Steve Michaels are in the frame to come into the team if either Taylor or O'Dwyer is unavailable, with Cartwright having the option of playing Brad Takairangi or Jamal Idris in the pack.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I am so excited about the improvement in young Jamal Idris from the Gold Coast Titans this season. I have been mightily impressed. It's hard to believe Jamal is still only 22, but he will play his 100th first-grade game on Sunday. This giant athlete made his debut for the Bulldogs in 2008, when he was just 18. A lot has happened with Jamal since then, including a State of Origin match for NSW in 2010 and a Test match for Australia in 2011. After leaving the Bulldogs for the Titans at the end of 2011 his career seemed to stall on the back of injuries and fitness issues. However, an injury-free Idris, fit and fresh from a full off-season training program, is playing the type of football that had the league world abuzz back in his Bulldogs days. He is one of the most effective right centres in the game and a return to the highest levels of representative football is only a matter of time.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-league/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Make sure you?re at Skilled Park this Sunday to enjoy a Family Fun Day and see the iSelect Titans take on the Cowboys. There will be loads of fantastic entertainment for the littlies and even the chance to meet Despicable Me 2 characters! Visit www.titans.com.au/family for more info.

We also have an awesome Despicable Me 2 prize pack to give away, enter here: http://bit.ly/19kZJwd

Young halves pairing ready to step up

Cowboys coach Neil Henry believes North Queensland?s good playmaker depth will help them cover for the loss of their influential co-captain Johnathan Thurston to State of Origin duties this weekend.

With Thurston away at the Maroons? camp, Emerging Origin squad member Michael Morgan returns to wear the No.6 jersey and will partner Robert Lui in the halves for the first time against the Gold Coast Titans at Skilled Park on Sunday.

Ray Thompson remains on the interchange bench as back up for starting hooker Rory Kostjasyn or to come into the halves if required.

?I think they?ve got some good footy between them,? Henry said of his new starting six and seven.

?It?s a young pairing and I?m confident they?ll step up and play their role.?

Clint Greenshields has been given the No.1 jersey for at least the next month with Matthew Bowen sidelined by a knee injury that will require surgery tomorrow.

It will only be Greenshields?s second NRL appearance of the year, following on from an impressive debut for the Cowboys against Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium in round six.

?Clint is a more than capable replacement for Matty,? Henry said.

?He had a good game against the Broncos and he?s been playing consistent Queensland Cup footy.

?He?s an experienced player and we expect him to slot straight in.?

Henry said now was the time for the fringe squad members who had been ?working away in the background? to do the job at NRL level.

?We?re confident we?ve got the depth in the squad and it?s getting to the stage where we need to get a couple of wins out of our away games leading up to the first bye,? he said.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

iSelect Titans centre Jamal Idris says the road to his 100th game has been a whirlwind as he prepares to reach the milestone in Sunday's game with the Cowboys.

Titans TV caught up with Idris to discuss the milestone, watch the video here: http://bit.ly/18x8Xqj

The $50 Family Fun Pass to this Sunday’s Queensland derby against the Cowboys at Skilled Park has been extended to before gates open on Sunday for all online pre-purchases!

This special offer for families includes Steel category tickets for 2 adults and 2 children for just $50 – that’s a saving of $34!

It’s going to be a great day out for the whole family with loads of fantastic entertainment for the littlies with a petting zoo, rock climbing wall, Titans inflatable, jumping castle, face painters, great giveaways, mascots and even the chance to meet the Despicable Me 2 characters!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE YOUR FAMILY FUN PASS NOW!

Remember – it’s cheaper to buy your tickets in advance than at the gate. For all other Titans v Cowboys game day ticket options please click here.

* Steel category tickets. Offer available for online pre-purchases only. Offer not available at Skilled Park gate on game day.

Bailey big fan of Ioane
    Travis Meyn | 01:01am May 31, 2013

TITANS pack leader Luke Bailey has given emerging prop Mark Ioane a glowing endorsement as the duo prepare to ink contract extensions with the Gold Coast.

Veteran front-rower Bailey will put pen to paper with the Titans today to extend his career by at least another year and Ioane, 22, is expected to do the same next week.

The one-year boost for Ioane comes as Bailey compared the former Junior Kiwi to Queensland and Test wrecking ball Sam Thaiday.

''I'm a big fan of Mark's. I've watched him play for a while now and he's just bided his time,'' Bailey said.

''He's solid but he's got footwork like Thaiday. He's got that good in-and-away line that a lot of forwards don't have.

''He doesn't look out of place. He looks like he's been doing it for a while.''

Ioane linked with the Titans this year after a two-year stint in Canberra where he failed to crack first grade.

The stocky prop made his NRL debut in Auckland this month and played his second game against Parramatta last Sunday.

He will feature for the Titans throughout the State of Origin period while Nate Myles, Ash Harrison and Greg Bird are away and Bailey said the Warriors product deserved his spot.

''The best thing about him is he's a humble dude and doesn't get overawed. He just does his job,'' he said.

''I love it when humble kids come through these days because there's not too many of them.

''They're all pretty much that Gen X-Y way where they think they deserve to be there but he's quite humble and worked his butt off.''

Bailey, who will become the second-most capped Titan with his 124th match for the club on Sunday, has started 2013 in fantastic form despite suffering a career-threatening achilles injury late last year.

The 242-game stalwart said he would meet executive director Michael Searle today to finalise his 2014 contract and it is understood the club has not ruled out the 33-year-old playing into 2015 if his body permits.

''I'm meeting with Searley (today) and I think it's done then,'' Bailey said.

''As far as I'm concerned it's done but I might have a crap game this weekend and who knows.

''I'm over the moon with how it's (achilles) responded. At my age it could have hung around a bit but I've had a tendency to get over injuries quite quickly.''

Dave Taylor missed yesterday's field session with a calf strain and will have to pass a fitness test tomorrow to face the Cowboys at Skilled Park on Sunday.

Burleigh Bears second-rower Shane Gray trained in Taylor's place and is on standby to make his NRL debut.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Very happy to hear both Bails & Ioane are re-signing with the club & I agree with the Bull that Mark is going to be a great player & I think will own a spot in the 17 by seasons end.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Very happy to hear both Bails & Ioane are re-signing with the club & I agree with the Bull that Mark is going to be a great player & I think will own a spot in the 17 by seasons end.
    Yup, tend to agree, Pete. Just wish Mark's contract was at least 2 years though. We need to make him call the Coast home. It'd be a shame to lose him when he's coming into his prime..

The master and apprentice.

Zillman ready to lead against Cowboys

iSelect Titans Fullback Will Zillman says he won?t be looking to change too much, despite stepping into the captaincy duties in the absence of Greg Bird and Nate Myles through Origin duty.

Fresh from a convincing 42-4 win over the Eels last weekend, Zillman says there still remains work to do and the side cannot get caught up in the heroics of last week, as they look for consistency and a repeat effort against the Cowboys.

The Cowboys will be missing the likes of Thurston, Tamou and Scott, but Zillman says they remain a dangerous entity that cannot be underestimated.

Titans TV caught up with Zillman to discuss his role as captain and to view the video simply click here

http://www.titans.com.au/news-display/titans/76067