Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Banned

If we don't beat Souths this weekend I think finals are over for us.

Titans refuse to concede it's over

THE Titans are refusing to give up on their finals hopes despite another patchy defensive performance cruelling their hopes of pushing into the top eight in the NRL.

The Gold Coast headed to Manly yesterday confident of upsetting the fourth-placed Sea Eagles despite lining up without Origin stars Nate Myles and Greg Bird.

But their hopes were ground into the Brookvale Oval turf after they conceded four tries in a 13-minute period in the first half to trail 24-4 after just 25 minutes.

While a brave second-half fightback got them within eight points, they eventually lost 38-20 to tumble to 10th place, facing a tough battle to make the playoffs. With seven rounds to go, none of the three Queensland clubs are in the top eight, with the loser of Friday's Cowboys-Broncos clash in Townsville facing elimination from the finals race.

But Gold Coast coach John Cartwright and his players are refusing to concede their season is over, with Cartwright pointing to their dogged fightback as the spark that could yet ignite the Titans' hopes.

''There were some good aspects of the game. I suppose the thing that hurts us most is the tries we leaked again,'' Cartwright said.

Titans forward Ashley Harrison could come under scrutiny from the match review committee for a late tackle on Kieran Foran early in the first half, although the tackle was not penalised or placed on report.

For all their talk about improved discipline and defence, the Titans showed few differences in the first 35 minutes from the side that leaked 86 points to the Knights and Panthers.

Only a rare off day with the boot from Jamie Lyon prevented them from having conceded 30 points at half-ime. But Cartwright was heartened by a second-half improvement.

A David Mead try just before the break gave the Titans some faint hope of launching a second-half comeback but their chances seemed slim when Ryan James was sin-binned for a professional foul early in the second term. But when they had every reason to drop their heads, the Titans finally showed some fight.

''I thought the majority of the second half, especially the period where we had 12 men, we found our pride in our defensive line,'' Cartwright said.

''When we look back on our season and we're playing finals footy, I think we can look at that period where we discovered that (our mojo) is there.

''You never lose it you lose confidence and you might lose the odd player, but you don't lose your ability.

''There was a lot to like about the second half but we were still just leaking too many points.''

When Aidan Sezer fielded a grubber close to his own line and raced 98m to score, the Titans were within eight points and sniffing an upset.

Manly coach Geoff Toovey was not concerned with the way his team let the Titans back into the clash.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Titans refuse to concede it's over

''I thought the majority of the second half, especially the period where we had 12 men, we found our pride in our defensive line,'' Cartwright said.

''When we look back on our season and we're playing finals footy, I think we can look at that period where we discovered that (our mojo) is there.

''You never lose it you lose confidence and you might lose the odd player, but you don't lose your ability.

''There was a lot to like about the second half but we were still just leaking too many points.''

http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    hahahahahah carty is having a laugh isnt ... jesus christ

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?

Jesus coaches that say things were better in the second half after being down a huge margin at half time give me the sh**s. Manly had scored 5, yes 5, tries by half time and they are a side that traditionally slacken off when they are doing it easily.

23 tries scored against the Titans in last 3 games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    23 tries scored against the Titans in last 3 games.
    Wow didn't realise it was that bad.

Banned

Well that is probably season over guys

Disappointing because we actually let this one slip unlike the last two seasons.

Immortal

Can we please close this thread, no hope

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    Can we please close this thread, no hope
    Start a "Will we get the spoon 2013" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by amaline View Post
    Start a "Will we get the spoon 2013" thread.
    Thank Christ for Parramatta. No coincidence that Stuart and Carty are mates either. Must be a great conversation that they have when they talking coaching ability.

Banned

A loss this week against Wests at home and I think it's definitely season over. Seems like the only player that can score is Gordy.

I just cant see it happening this year. I dont see what changes next year to improve our chances either. It is such a shame. I rate Sezer and Kelly as one of the best pairs of halves even at this early stage. Mead is a gun. Our forwards should get the better of most teams. I dont know what we are lacking on the park but to say we are not off the pace is deluded.
    I love Aiden Sezer so much I made his profile pic my avatar.

Banned

Back in the 8 now. Can we do it?

Win against the Cowboys and the Warriors and we're in I'd reckon. If not we'll have to steal one against either the Storm or the Roosters to make it. 2 more wins should be enough. Broncos or Cowboys can make it if they win their remaining games and they don't have super tough draws. Hodges going down will be the Broncos downfall though.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

I think we need 3 and that's a vey tall order.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.