Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Titans and Tomkins

Peter Badel | 12:01am May 9, 2013

Wigans' Sam Tonkins could play for the Titans if the club could afford him. Pic: AP
    THE Titans have entered the race for the man regarded as the British version of Billy Slater, Wigan attacking wizard Sam Tomkins.

Gold Coast officials contacted Tomkins' manager Andy Clarke a fortnight ago and the parties have since held further talks.

But the England international's $1 million price tag may prove a stumbling block. If money is the deciding factor, NRL rivals the Warriors are likely to trump the Titans.

Former Wigan star Dean Bell, now Warriors football operations chief, flew to England recently to meet the fullback.

The Gold Coast have underspent on this year's salary cap by about $350,000, leaving them an estimated $1 million to spend with the increase in the NRL cap from $5.8 million to $6.3 million for 2014.

While they boast a star-studded pack, the Titans are scouring the market for a marquee back with strikepower as part of their mission statement to win a title by 2015.

Tomkins, 24, who can play fullback or five-eighth, appears ideal.

The Wigan flyer is ranked England's No.1 player, winning the Man of Steel last year. That's Super League's equivalent of the NRL's Dally M Award.

Tomkins is keen to test himself in the NRL but with another three years on his Wigan deal, the English league powerhouse has slapped a $250,000 transfer fee on Tomkins.

His management hopes to secure an NRL contract of $750,000 a season, completing a $1 million package that would place him in the same earnings stratosphere as Johnathan Thurston and Greg Inglis.

The English ace is a try-scoring machine, having crossed 128 times in 137 games for Wigan. Already this season, he has 14 tries in 10 games.

At 180cm and 83kg, Tomkins is similar in build and playing style to Storm, Queensland and Australian custodian Slater.

Former England star Mike Stephenson, who played 169 games for Penrith between 1974-78 and now commentates on the Super League, says Tomkins would flourish in the NRL. "Sam has certainly taken the Super League by storm," he said.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Yes please. He'd answer a lot of our lack of attack IMO. He is currently this seasons super league top try scorer with 18 and is 6th for try assists with 13. Anyone who has watched him play lately will know why the Billy Slater comparisons.

I agree with Tamwelg

He would add a lot of depth in attack

Glad the club is pursuing such an attacking weapon.

This guy is fast, agile and has incredible balance. Runs like he's on rails. He's got good ball playing ability in him too, stacks up the try assists. Have watched all his games this year and he's clearly the best player on the field every game

The Mole (@RLW_Mole) tweeted at 2:02 PM on Wed, May 08, 2013:
    Also In The Mole in @LeagueWeek today - Titans CEO David May spotted in @WiganWarriorsRL sheds last weekend... #hmmmm
    (https://twitter.com/RLW_Mole/status/331982370209140737)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    Yes please. He'd answer a lot of our lack of attack IMO. He is currently this seasons super league top try scorer with 18 and is 6th for try assists with 13. Anyone who has watched him play lately will know why the Billy Slater comparisons.
    Agree, he is the player the titans are lacking, he is carving them in the super league he has the ability to create things out of nothing and always seems to bop up at thr right times, this if it does happen would be not only one of the biggest signings for the titans but for the NRL.

For anyone who hasn't seen him play, here is a little clip of what he can do

Just guessing but I would say that's where this article originated. As I don't trust anything this muppet Badel says
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

David is doing a fantastic job, if we signed Sam Tomkins... Well geez the only way to describe my delight would be to streak down robina town centre yelling out we're streaking! Up to the quad and into the gymnasium!

Rumours of the Warriors throwing big cash at Carney , don't think they would get both
    #itaintweaktospeak

Could you imagine the press we would get with a player like this, wow.

Rugby League is in the business of entertainment, crowds, fans, kids ect all want to see this. Get him out here asap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Imagine if we get him but he gets played out of position...

Haha surely that wouldn't happen. Really hope we get him!

I'm with Rage ... Tomkins needs to be coached as well and that's unlikely with us.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Tomkins would be great in the NRL. No risk. With our young halves and solid hooker rotation he could form 1/4 of what would be a premiership calibre spine.

If we did sign him it would make the sacking of Cartwright all the more urgent as his 2007 game management would not allow him, or the rest of the spine, to show their best.

I will not get excited about the prospect of signing anybody until Cartwright is gone, as regardless of how good they look elsewhere they will not get the coaching and structure to look as good here.

please maybe we could give them michaels in some kinda player + cash deal hehe

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?