First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

Default Sir Alex Ferguson retires as Manchester United manager after 26 years in charge

SIR Alex Ferguson is retiring as Manchester United manager after 26 years in charge of the English Premier League club.

Ferguson, 71, guided United to 13 Premier League titles - including this season, and two Champions League crowns.

In a statement, the Scot said: ?The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about and one that I have not taken lightly. It is the right time.

?It was important to me to leave an organisation in the strongest possible shape and I believe I have done so.

"The quality of this league-winning squad, and the balance of ages within it, bodes well for continued success at the highest level whilst the structure of the youth set-up will ensure that the long-term future of the club remains a bright one.

?Our training facilities are amongst the finest in global sport and our home Old Trafford is rightfully regarded as one of the leading venues in the world.

Legendary manager Sir Alex Ferguson calls time after 26 years and 13 EPL titles at Manchester United.

?Going forward, I am delighted to take on the roles of both director and ambassador for the club. With these activities, along with my many other interests, I am looking forward to the future."

"I must pay tribute to my family, their love and support has been essential.

"My wife Cathy has been the key figure throughout my career, providing a bedrock of both stability and encouragement. Words are not enough to express what this has meant to me.

?As for my players and staff, past and present, I would like to thank them all for a staggering level of professional conduct and dedication that has helped to deliver so many memorable triumphs.

"Without their contribution the history of this great club would not be as rich.

?In my early years, the backing of the board, and Sir Bobby Charlton in particular, gave me the confidence and time to build a football club, rather than just a football team.

?Over the past decade, the Glazer family have provided me with the platform to manage Manchester United to the best of my ability and I have been extremely fortunate to have worked with a talented and trustworthy chief executive in David Gill. I am truly grateful to all of them.

?To the fans, thank you. The support you have provided over the years has been truly humbling.

"It has been an honour and an enormous privilege to have had the opportunity to lead your club and I have treasured my time as manager of Manchester United.?

Ferguson now has two matches left in charge of the club he has turned into one of the world's biggest sports teams. Manchester United is yet to announce his successor.

British Prime Minister David Cameron and world football chief Sepp Blatter led the tributes to Ferguson.

Cameron, a fan of Premier League strugglers Aston Villa, tweeted: "Sir Alex Ferguson's achievement at#MUFC has been exceptional. Hopefully his retirement will make life a little easier for my team."

FIFA president Blatter said the football world may never again see a reign like Ferguson's at United that spanned 26 years and 38 trophies.

"His achievements in the game place him without doubt as one of the 'greats'" Blatter said on Twitter.

"Will his longevity at the top ever be repeated?"

David Beckham thanked the man who kicked off his career, describing him as a "father figure."

Peter Schmeichel, the Danish goalkeeper who was one of Ferguson's most important signings at United, described his decision to retire as a "bombshell" and said he "can't make sense of the timing".

"It has come as a bombshell, I really don't know what to make of it," Schmeichel said.

Michael Owen, the former England striker who was used sparingly by Ferguson in two seasons at United, said he was honoured to have played under him.

"It's just not sinking in! Manchester United with no Sir Alex just doesn't feel right," he said.

"What a man and great that it has ended on his terms. What a privilege to have played under arguably the best manager the world has ever seen. His record will surely never be eclipsed.."

Earlier today, United failed to quell speculation that British football?s most successful manager was set to step aside.

Bookmakers slashed odds on Everton manager David Moyes joining United as Ferguson?s No.2 at the end of the season.

It had been suggested that Moyes would work with Ferguson for one season before taking control of the club.

United refused to comment last night and, although that is not unusual, the club were not even returning calls on the matter.

Many people inside football - including two Premier League managers - have suggested privately this season that Ferguson would have stood aside had United not lost last season?s title race to Manchester City with the last kick of the campaign.

That has never been confirmed by United and at the weekend Ferguson suggested in his program notes that he would still be around at Old Trafford next season, despite news that he is to have a hip operation in the summer.

"I certainly don?t have any plans at the moment to walk away from what I believe will be something special and worth being around to see," he said.

"It?s always difficult in football to be absolutely sure of the future because the game has a habit of tripping you up, but I believe we have every reason to feel confident about the future.

"My view stems not from the euphoria of winning back the league title we lost so narrowly last season, but on the way we did it and the make-up of our playing personnel."

Ferguson has been at United since November 1986 and is the most successful manager in the history of English football.

Amazing journey of a managerial giant

In his 26-and-a-half-year reign, he has led the club from the English northwest to 13 Premier League titles, five FA Cups, four League Cups, and two Champions League titles, as well as a host of other honours.

During Ferguson's tenure, United have become one of the most famous teams in world sport, with American business magazine Forbes recently reporting that they are worth $3.17 billion (2.42 billion euros).

News.com.au

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

Even if you dont like soccer or you support another EPL team. Everybody knows what this man has done. Congrats Sir Alex ferguson on a successful career

piss carty off sign him uppppppppppppppp

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?

Possibly the Greatest Coach of all time

Man U will never be the same..
    #itaintweaktospeak