Page 4 of 158 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast
    Immortal

Yes he is contracted to us. With the likes of Sean Garner, Emery Pere, Steve Dressler, Duncan Harding etc, we have some real forward talent at the U16 level next year. The next step is that we need to keep them. Throw in Bailey Gil and Jack Peacock as well.
    Last edited by mdrew; 05-08-13 at 06:35 AM.

Mate, some time ago we quietly discussed some sort description or graphical representation of our junior set-up. I realise that that was with David May but it would be very useful for those of us who have little idea about what the various pathways to the seniors are ... something like a flowchart perhaps?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Immortal

I should be able to put something together in terms of a pathway

Immortal

Apologies tried a flowchart but… The notes below try to present the usual pathway for the young players signed from the age of 12 upwards. Amazing that boys are signed so young but if we do not sign them others will.

U13/14 Development squads (Players from Gold Coast and surrounding area’s, train over the summer months and play 2/3 games in February) → Cyril Connell Cup U16 → Mal Meninga Cup U18 → NYC/ QCup Colts (Burleigh Bears/Tweed Seagulls)/ Bycroft Cup U19’s → Titans 1st grade/QCup Burleigh Bears/Tweed Seagulls.

Additional Development Squads up to players at U16 level are based in Group One, Port Macquarie and Armidale. A number of selected players from Port Macquarie/Armidale attend training over summer on GC, usually 6 from each region. These players enter the Titans pathways system at either MM or NYC/QCup colts level based on performance. For young players from outside the region, some move to GC and are usually placed at PBC to complete their schooling and play CC/MM.

In previous years, we fielded our own CC/MM sides, this year our players were mixed with other GC players to field two sides that were not based on NRL club affiliation. Next year there is still conjecture as to the best way to go. I think that we should field our side, but I am obviously biased. In terms of CC/MM it is a case by case basis whether boys from Group One play. The Elliot boys for example travel up to training and games each week, an 8 hour round trip, while others such as Austin Cooper play in the local competition and are in contact with Titans staff regularly.

Clear as mud Lol

Perfect ... thanks for that.

I agree that fielding our team seems logical, what's the argument against?

Immortal

The main argument was to split the talent between the two squads. Prior to this year, the "Titans" squad did defeat the other GC squad each year in both CC and MM. The idea was that combining everybody would result of two "equal" teams. Alas not so, GC White made the Grand Final of MM and just missed the CC semi - finals. GC Green struggled in both age groups. The two squads played each other, with GC White winning easily in both age groups, including a 50 - 0 drubbing in MM. One positive was the emergence of Scott Mahon as the coach of GC Green MM. He is now the assistant coach of our NYC side. Not saying he is the sole reason but the form of the NYC side has improved since.

Immortal

Sorry Scott Mahon coached GC White MM, not Green

Ta ... doesn't surprise me at all. I reckon that players aspire to play with the best they can ... levelling competition is for administrators but not the players. The trick is not to disillusion those that don't make the top grade by offering them opportunities elsewhere perhaps while not creating the top team as some sort of "precious" group too ... a real balancing act.

Immortal

The CC and MM trials are set for 14 September, should be some real talented young boys on show, I will find out more then. Plenty of politics going on

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    The CC and MM trials are set for 14 September, should be some real talented young boys on show, I will find out more then. Plenty of politics going on
    They are being played at Firth Park & will be worth watching if u can spare a couple of hours to check out our young talent, while we still have it
    #itaintweaktospeak

Immortal

I will be there, looking forward to seeing some good football

Immortal

Another one to watch in the CC competition is Koen Sleba a backrower from Benowa Point. He is a multi-sport athlete, but rugby league is his faviourite. Another one for the future.

Immortal

He turned down a chance to join the Suns junior program, a great reason to support the young lad. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    Another one to watch in the CC competition is Koen Sleba a backrower from Benowa Point. He is a multi-sport athlete, but rugby league is his faviourite. Another one for the future.

Immortal

Very good win for Tweed Colts today, over 4th placed Norths, half Sam grant (still eligible for U18's) was very good, as was Nathan Portelli (a very talented backrower from Port Macquarie region) and Mitch Denning (Group 4). All should be in the NYC mix next year. But for injury I have no doubt Mitch would have already figured.

Immortal

Expect to see Jennan Parrish make his NYC debut next week. He is just a year out of U16's but can handle the step up. The Australian schoolboys rake is real hard worker