First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

Default Smith calls for truth with Hadley

UNDER-siege NRL chief executive Dave Smith has called for peace with outspoken media broadcaster Ray Hadley.

Hadley told The Daily Telegraph last night that he received a telephone call from Smith on Tuesday seeking a "clear-the-air" meeting. Hadley agreed.

Smith came under heavy criticism from Hadley last week for avoiding media requests and for high ticket prices for City-Country, which attracted a pathetic crowd of 4,635 in Coffs Harbour.

Hadley called Smith a "dunce".

Obviously affected by the criticism, Smith phoned Hadley at home, the pair agreeing to have a coffee sometime next week.

"I received a phone call on Tuesday from Dave Smith, " Hadley revealed.

"We have decided to have a meeting one day next week.

"He agreed with my critcism about Coffs Harbour. I don't think he agreed that he was a dunce.

"I know he has spoken to other media representatives and is anxious to explain his plans for the future.

"It was a phone call made in good faith and was received in good faith. I look forward to catching up with him next week."

Asked could he now enjoy a working relationship with Smith, Hadley said: "Of course I can.

"The admission that Coffs Harbour wasn't the NRL's finest hour is a clear indication that Dave wants to move forward."

Hadley said he stands by every comment made about Smith on his top-ranking 2GB radio program.

"I don't step back from my criticism because, at the time, it was valid,'' Hadley said.

An NRL spokesman yesterday confirmed: "Dave spoke to Ray on Tuesday."

Hadley was on warpath earlier this week.

In a stunning attack, Hadley labelled Smith a "dunce" and suggested the NRL boss goes "back to banking and do it sometime sooner rather than later".

"I will tell you what you want to do Dave; pull your head out of your bum and build closer links with the grassroots of the game, the people who will pay your wages for the next two decade, " Hadley said.

At a Tuesday press conference, Smith defended himself against Hadley's criticism.

"I will always stand up when the game needs me to stand up. But the CEO doesn't need to be the mouthpiece for everything, " Smith said.

"You've got to make sure you've got the right quality of interaction with the media and I think you've got to make sure you've got the right leadership when it's required.

"I'll never shirk that. I just think it's about setting it up in a way that the fans are getting what they need and the information, but at the same time we've got the right person talking about the right thing and not one person talking about everything."
    Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226629497914

Good on you Smith. Pick up the phone and take it to em. Cut the crap and get to the bottom of it all. Good work.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Agreed Diehard. It's good to see Mr Smith come out and address it. Though it does make ya wonder what would've happened if Hadley didn't call him out.

Would have Mr Smith come out on his own accord over the rip-off ticketing prices at Coffs, or would have it been the same old same old.. (no show)?

Hopefully Mr Smith will now in turn call out Hadley for atrocious commentating, and do what he can within his powers to have Hadley ousted from anything Rugby League related within Australia.

I'm very impressed with what I've seen from Smith.
    He's a big man to phone Hadley...most people in that position would degraded Hadley and end up in constant battle...or just ignore the big mouth, hoping he would go away.

Hadley might have a lot of low intellect following him but some are League supporters and some just like to talk league...either way, we don't need somebody in the media blowing it up like he does (right or wrong)
    The more Hadley knows about the game, the more ammunition he has to bring it down.

We need to distance the game from him.