Default Tommy Raudonikis' grandson dies after life support turned off

Tommy Raudonikis' grandson and football player Jake Kedzlie, 15, dies after life support is turned off
    GREG STOLZ and TAYLOR AUERBACH
    The Daily Telegraph
    April 08, 201312:58PM

RUGBY league legend Tommy Raudonikis and his family are 'absolutely shattered' at the death of his 15-year-old grandson in a freak rugby league accident, but he says they do not blame 'the great game'.

Jake Kedzlie, the son of Raudonikis's daughter Corryn, died in hospital after being struck in the head during an Under 16s match at Sawtell near Coffs Harbour on Saturday.

One of league's most famed hard men, Raudonikis said he was 'doing it tough' after driving from his Gold Coast home to farewell his 'wonderful, beautiful' grandson, whose life support was switched off at Coffs Harbour Hospital on Monday.

"Jake was a wonderful, beautiful boy,'' he said.

"He was just a typical 15-year-old boy who loved rugby league and surfing. He was a very good footballer who was awarded a scholarship last year by the Wests Tigers.

"Everybody in Sawtell loved him. There are fences throughout the town spray-painted with 'Goodbye Jake' and 'Love you Jake'. It's very emotional.''

Jake, who played for the Sawtell Panthers, was injured when an opponent's knee struck his head in a tackle during the first Group 2 game of the season at Rex Hardaker Oval on Saturday afternoon.

He collapsed as bystanders rushed in to perform CPR, and was taken to hospital in a critical condition.
    Raudonikis, a former Australian Test player, said the family did not want to see rugby league blamed for Jake's death.

"We hold no grudges against the great game of rugby league and we want to emphasise that,'' he said.

"My daughter's absolutely shattered and if anyone has a reason to blame the game, it's her. But it was just a freak accident and a reminder of how fickle life can be.

"Parents out there should not be put off by this - rugby league is still a great game for the kids. If they want to wear head gear, they can but I'm not sure it would have oprevented this tragedy and I don't think it should be made compulsory.

"If anyone should have brain injuries from playing football over the years, it's me.''

A Coffs Harbour Health Campus spokeswoman says his family decided on Monday to turn off Jake's life support.

"The family have agreed to donate his organs," she said.

Jake Kedzlie's family has paid tribute to him as a gifted boy with a heart of gold.

The talented sportsman from Sawtell in the state's north was rushed to Coffs Harbour Health Campus about 4.30pm on Saturday after a head clash in the last 10 minutes of an under-16s game left him with life-threatening injuries.

Paramedics were called to Rex Hardaker oval in Toormina when the Sawtell Panther player lost consciousness.

He was in an induced coma last night as his family gathered at his bedside to make the harrowing decision of whether to switch off his life support.

Uncle Harley Byrne said Jake was an active and outgoing young man with a smile for everyone.

"Jakey was a good young fella who loved his fishing, surfing and most of all football," Mr Byrne said. "It's a tragedy."

Mr Byrne confirmed that his nephew was pronounced brain-dead yesterday morning.

Terrible tragedy. Can't imagine how hard it is for the family.

Thanks for posting this Steve. News does not get worst than this.

Such a terrible situation. Hard to say anything, but important for us to read this and spare thoughts and prayers for Jake and his family and friends...

Vale Jake Kedzlie.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Tragic news & my condolences go out to Jakes family & in particular Tommy who i know very well, as hard as Tom is this will shatter him, very sad time.

I just hope we don't hear from people calling for helmets or other rubbish being used in our game , this was a "Freak Accident".
    #itaintweaktospeak