Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Titans are back in black, thanks to a league-loving benefactor

Titans are back in black, thanks to a league-loving benefactor

Titans CEO David May (middle) with Graeme Connor (left) and Darryl Kelly (right) at the Titans centre of Excellence at Robina. Picture: Glenn Hampson Source: The Australian

IN the southern NSW town of Wagga Wagga, Darryl Kelly is already regarded as a saviour. On the Gold Coast, he is fast becoming one.

The Gold Coast Titans are the early contenders for Cinderella story of the NRL season, in no small part thanks to the largesse of the intensely private Kelly, who made his fortune in sand and gravel before diversifying into property development and shopping centres.

Only a matter of months ago, the Titans were on their knees, buckling under the weight of crippling debt thanks to the club's investment in the troubled Centre of Excellence. Creditors were circling. The independent commission was keeping a close eye on proceedings amid fears collapse was imminent.

Majority owner Michael Searle needed investment to keep the club alive. Kelly, who now calls the Gold Coast home, heard about the Titans' plight and decided to become involved.

Those who know Kelly were not surprised. Less than a decade ago, he was instrumental in saving rugby league in Wagga. "The story with Darryl is in 2004, the Wagga Leagues Club went broke," said Country Rugby League's David Skinner.

"Everything was gone. Developers got involved. There was no place for rugby league left in Wagga. Darryl was the driving force behind getting a facility up and running on a shoestring budget.

"Goodness knows how much he handed over in that period of time. I am pretty sure he was bankrolling everything.

"That's the sort of bloke he is. You could definitely say that he saved rugby league in Wagga."

Not content with Wagga, he is now helping save rugby league on the Gold Coast. In concert with fellow investors Graeme Connor and Anshuman Magazine - Connor's investment has since been absorbed by Kelly and Magazine - the club is back on its feet financially and well on its way to becoming a force.

Kelly and Magazine, who was introduced to the club by Titans chief executive David May, have kept low profiles since they came on board. In Magazine's case, it has plenty to do with his globe-trotting lifestyle as the chairman and managing director of real estate consulting firm CBRE.

Kelly's anonymity is a personal choice, in keeping with his reputation as a man who prefers to work feverishly behind the scenes.

Ask those who know Kelly and they'll tell you it's not his style to beat his own drum. This week alone he has turned numerous requests for interviews.

"He quietly goes about his business but he would be one of the hardest working men you come across," Skinner said.

"I don't know how many hours he works a day. I have had some discussions with him before and I reckon he is a four-to-six hour sleep man and works every other moment, whether it be his business stuff or the community side of things.

"There's probably an old cliche about two ears and one mouth being used in the same proportion.

"That's what Darryl is like. He is a bloke who goes and listens first and then he goes about from what he has seen and heard to implementing change."

In Wagga, they are reluctant to talk publicly about Kelly out of respect for his preference for privacy. Those who did speak to The Australian described him as a man as comfortable behind a spade as in a boardroom.

"He is just a bushie," a friend from Wagga said.

"As I say, he can mix it with the best of them in the boardroom. He has done it. But he's just at home sitting on a tractor or talking to you while he is digging a bloody fencepost hole.

"He is just a great fella, Darryl. He will get them going. Even if they're not a premiership side on the paddock, they will be the leaders of the pack off the field, don't worry about that."

Kelly's largesse is legendary. In 2009, he won the NRL's volunteer of the year for his work in Wagga and promptly handed over his $10,000 cheque to shore up the code in the region.

When the Wagga arm of the Men of League, the charity that supports former players, holds fundraising nights, Kelly is famous for buying items and handing them straight back.

Now it is the Gold Coast which is benefiting. Kelly will be there tonight as the Titans face Brisbane. A win will give the Titans a three-game buffer over the Broncos.

Less than a year after facing extinction, the club will have strengthened its grip as the pre-eminent premiership threat in southeast Queensland. Kelly can rightly take a large chunk of credit for that.

"The game is his love," May said. "He's a quiet guy. He doesn't like taking the plaudits. He doesn't want to use his investment in the club to build his own profile.

"I think it's a very honourable thing to do.

"For him, it's about the club and the community. We're all just guardians of this club for the Gold Coast."
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans sat on the brink of extinction

by:Brent Read

ARL Commission chairman John Grant has provided a rare insight into the drama-filled months that saved the Gold Coast Titans from extinction, admitting the game would have struggled to financially prop up the club had fresh investment not been found.

Grant's first year in charge was consumed to a large extent by dealing with the Titans' well-documented financial problems, which were resolved only when the club received a major injection of cash last year.

As the Titans buckled under financial strain caused by investment in the Centre of Excellence, the game was forced to prepare contingency plans that would have resulted in the commission taking over the Titans.

Eventually, the club's owner Michael Searle found the money he needed to save the club, although it meant forming a new entity and giving up a large chunk of his shareholding to investors Darryl Kelly and Anshuman Magazine.

Searle remains the majority owner -- he owns 39 per cent of the club's shares, with the remainder divided between Kelly (32 per cent) and Magazine (29 per cent).

More importantly, the club is now on a secure financial footing and focus has returned to the football field, where the Titans have enjoyed a winning start to the season.

"I think there is no doubt that when we were first confronted with it early last year, when we first started, that we didn't have any commitment in terms of the new broadcast rights," Grant said.

"But we looked at the downside as being very, very significant. It gave us great concern that if we had to step in and keep a team going on the Gold Coast, we didn't have the funds to do that.

"It was a very difficult situation. I just think the process that we went through ensured we got the right outcome for the new club and got the right people involved in that.

"There is no doubt these sort of issues affect players and players' attitude and therefore club performance and morale. I think that's what you're seeing now.

"I think you're seeing a performance which is due to the footy team itself being able to get on with its job."

The club is also enjoying rewards off the field. Chief executive David May revealed yesterday the Titans' financial position was so strong it would rank among the top three or four clubs in the competition in terms of sustainability.

"That's a combination of the investment that's been made as well as some big strides in sponsorship this year," May said.

The only negative has been the small crowds at Skilled Park, although May expects more than 20,000 for tonight's game against the Brisbane Broncos.

"When I first joined I thought we would be able to say the past was the past," said May, who became chief executive last year.

"People take a bit of convincing. They need a bit of time. Trust comes slowly. We're just starting to rebuild that. There's a real buzz here about the Titans."

Grant will be at Skilled Park tonight and he shudders to think what would have happened had the Titans not been able to emerge from the financial mire.

"It's a new entity," Grant said.

"It's a new stand-alone football club not encumbered by any of the other trusts that operate and fully capitalised."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226612822463

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

"When I first joined I thought we would be able to say the past was the past," said May, who became chief executive last year.

"People take a bit of convincing. They need a bit of time. Trust comes slowly. We're just starting to rebuild that. There's a real buzz here about the Titans."
    Spot on, David. It's good to know that you know what going to take to win back the masses. And to be honest, Yourself and the Club seem to be hitting all the right marks. Considering the only hiccups have been the Jersey Designs and the Pink Pigs Pom Poms. It just goes to show how trivial our (fans) concerns have been this year.

From a Supporters point of view. It's a great change from worrying about whether our Club is going to be around from one week to the next. To only having to wonder how the Lads are going to fire on the Paddock, come the weekend.

It feels as if 2013 is building to something special, and that's only come about by the hard work from all. Whether it be in the boardroom, offices or on the paddock. The feelgood vibe appears to be emulating everywhere (even over 400km away).

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    The feelgood vibe appears to be emulating everywhere (even over 400km away)
    Even from 7,620.6kms away

To see our suits in suits is a very comforting thing indeed, we need to show this side of the club as much as the knock-around version. There is no doubt that we are a hard sell in a very competitive market place. We should not get too cocky just yet as we scramble for a foothold on the path to redemption.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

In the short time David May has been at the club, he's done so much. A lot of tge positive vibe can be creditted directly to hom IMO. I've had the opportunity to meet and chat with him a few times now. I think he's a top bloke and I'm over the moon to have him steering the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Even from 7,620.6kms away

To see our suits in suits is a very comforting thing indeed, we need to show this side of the club as much as the knock-around version. There is no doubt that we are a hard sell in a very competitive market place. We should not get too cocky just yet as we scramble for a foothold on the path to redemption.
    A little off topic, you cant be feeling at ease knowing there is an idiiot a few hundred miles away ready to play war with the US.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

No old mate ... it's just like footy ... one in, all in what a deadset tool ... even worse I go to the US for ten days of meetings on behalf of the Chinese government on the 20th ... I wonder if it will still be there?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    In the short time David May has been at the club, he's done so much. A lot of tge positive vibe can be creditted directly to hom IMO. I've had the opportunity to meet and chat with him a few times now. I think he's a top bloke and I'm over the moon to have him steering the ship.
    Agree 100% . Although I would love to oppoutunity to chat with him as well....

Does the article imply that Graeme Connor does not have anything to do with the club anymore ?? If so does anyone know why ?? Just Curious is all ....

No idea. It didn't strike me as a big deal. He offered his funding at a critical time and now his share has been redistributed. Not sure on any further info. But thanks Graeme!

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    No idea. It didn't strike me as a big deal. He offered his funding at a critical time and now his share has been redistributed. Not sure on any further info. But thanks Graeme!
    Yeah Agree thanks Graham....

Maybe there is a space now for one of the Guys here on the Forum if one wins big on the Lotto one day... . I know if I win big I'll knock on David Mays door....

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titans View Post
    Maybe there is a space now for one of the Guys here on the Forum if one wins big on the Lotto one day... . I know if I win big I'll knock on David Mays door....
    Let's form a syndicate, win, then buy a large share, be David May's boss and annoy him.

Force him into one hour meetings about pom poms complete with a powerpoint presentation and see how long he takes to crack.

While the wounds are deep from Friday's loss to Super League Brisbane.

We can still take solice in the health of our club. Big difference from this time last year.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 07-04-13 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    A little off topic, you cant be feeling at ease knowing there is an idiiot a few hundred miles away ready to play war with the US.
    SO that's only a little of topic...?? I'd hate to see a lot off topic!!

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    SO that's only a little of topic...?? I'd hate to see a lot off topic!!