Default Albert Kelly lives dream of lost cousin [Extends Titans contract until 2015]]

From http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1226612855173

Albert Kelly has been driven by a family tragedy as he makes a remarkable career revival which will be capped by a contract extension with the Titans.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the in-form halfback, who was on the scrap heap just six months ago, will receive a 12-month upgrade after tonight's clash against the Broncos at Skilled Park.

The development comes only weeks after the Titans activated a clause for an initial two-year contract. The extension will keep Kelly on the Coast until the end of 2015.

The contract sweetener is particularly significant given that Kelly's cousin, Paul Davis-Welsh, had signed with the Titans only a month before being killed in a road accident.

Davis-Welsh, the son of former Balmain five-eighth Paul Davis, had been snapped up by Titans recruitment chief Tom Searle on a three-year deal to represent the club's under-16s in 2009.

A month later, Kelly was attending Davis-Welsh's funeral. The 15-year-old was a passenger when a 16-year-old friend lost control attempting to overtake and hit a power pole in the NSW mid-north coast town of Kempsey.

Kelly's cousin, Queensland Origin ace Greg Inglis, helped carry Davis-Welsh's coffin and the ordeal shook Kelly and his extended family.
    Albert Kelly

Davis says Kelly's career-defining form over the past month carries special meaning because he is firing in the Titans jumper his son dreamed of wearing.

"The death of my boy inspires Albert," said Davis, who played 40 first-grade games in 1992-93 and is Kelly's uncle.

"Our family has a history with the Titans. That's why I'm proud of Alby. He knew my son well and is playing for the club Paul wanted to play for.

"Tommy Searle signed (Paul) to a three-year deal and he was to attend Palm Beach Currumbin High School.

"He signed a contract after the under-16s Indigenous selection trials ... and then a month later, we lost him in that car accident.

"It was a devastating time. I remember getting the phone call in a shopping centre that Paul was dead and I just fell to my knees.

"Paul was my only son and he was a very talented footballer. His dream was to play for the Titans so it's great to see Alby doing so well."

After failed stints at Parramatta, Cronulla and Newcastle, Kelly has found his niche at the Titans, steering the side into the top four with three consecutive wins.

The 22-year-old arrived in November on a trial, but the Titans will meet Kelly's management next week to formalise another upgraded deal.

"There were a number of option clauses Albert had to meet, and just recently we exercised the option on him until the end of 2014," Titans boss David May said.

"We've been rapt with how Albert has settled in. He has a long future here and to be honest I don't see him wanting to go anywhere else."
    Last edited by TITAN PETE; 05-04-13 at 07:32 AM.

Good job. Good to hear

A feel good story of a young talented bloke who despite his previous troubles is in fact a welcome member of the Titans family ... glad we've signed him and although the big forwards may run at Prince tonight, it is Kelly's performance that I am looking forward to.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior Titan

Albert is one of the major reasons why the Titains have started the season
    So well.His enthusiasm is infectious.