Default Titans' James starts 2013 with a bang

Travis Meyn | 07:45am April 4, 2013

ORIGIN bolter Ryan James has emerged as the most explosive interchange weapon in the NRL after a scintillating month to begin the season.

The Titans prop has started 2013 with such a bang he is now being talked about as a candidate for a maiden Blues jersey.

And statistics obtained by the Bulletin prove the Bilambil product is working as hard as any interchange player in the game.

James has clocked an amazing 379m and 74 tackles in his four matches this year despite spending only 151 minutes of a possible 320 on the field.

The 21-year-old bruiser is providing so much spark off the bench he is making more metres a minute than any other Titans forward and his defensive input is nearly as good.

Cowboys hit-man Tariq Sims was touted for NSW selection two years ago but James has passed him as the young gun in coach Laurie Daley's plans.

James is in the sights of Country selectors for the April 21 City-Country clash and the Indigenous All Stars representative said he would one day love to pull on the sky blue jersey.

"I do want to push for a Country spot this year. You hope for those sort of things and it'd be great to get that," he said.

"I'm just trying to play good club footy and for the team. If that comes, it comes. If it doesn't, I won't be disappointed.

"One day (playing Origin would) be great (but) I just want to get some footy under my belt this year."

It's been a monumental comeback for James, who struggled through 2012 on the mend from a knee reconstruction.

He played just three NRL matches last year but the lengthy rehabilitation has primed him for an assault on opposition packs this year.

His barnstorming performances have been so impressive the Titans are looking to lock him up on a long-term contract despite his current deal running until the end of next year.

"I've still got another year to go (but) I love the Gold Coast," James said.

"If opportunities arise (to re-sign) we'll see how we go. I'd love to stay on the Goldy."

Coach John Cartwright has slowly been upping James' game time as he becomes more accustomed to the speed of the NRL.

He has now played 25 first grade matches and said he was feeling comfortable in a star-studded pack.

"It's been tough, physical and hard. I'm trying to build up my minutes on the field and hopefully Carty can see what I'm doing and I can play longer," he said.

"We've had a good little interchange going. They've (starting forwards) been doing all the hard work and then I come on and am making a bit of an impact.

"I'm just trying to do the most I can while I'm on."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Yup... I can see him in sky blue, tearing up the Maroons defensive line. Just hope the rest of his future sides are rubbish. He is like a southern Gordie Tallis.

Great bloke too.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER