Default What is in the mysterious bump?

I have increasingly noticed that clubs and their players are deploying I am assuming is a GPS tracking system in the upper back part of a player's jersey...anyone able to confirm what actually is contained in this little bump in the upper back part of the jersey?
    Is it recording vital stats like heart rates etc. of a player and/or GPS stats for analysis at a later stage? And if so who is providing this technology?
    Anyone got some facts on this?

I think I found it...!

http://gpsports.com/rugby.php

Yup, been used in various Sports for a few years now. It's incredible the amount of Science applied to the Game these days.

Quite different from the days gone by, where you held a full time job, strap on the boots on the weekend, have a couple of coldies after the game 'n get up 'n go to work Monday Mornin'..

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    have a couple of coldies after the game 'n get up 'n go to work Monday Mornin'.
    stuck to the sheets because of the gravel rashes from hard grounds ... now they play on mattresses.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Yeah something like this was mentioned in a Location Based Services course I took a few years ago at University. Back then, I couldn't really believe it, but now...

I wonder how good the accuracy of the GPS is, since GPS is very susceptible of interfering objects with regards to the signal reception, especially in urban canyons. But even with a broad error margin, the results give a good impression anyway.
    Aiming for the title farthest away fan

Quote Originally Posted by Chaserz View Post
    Yeah something like this was mentioned in a Location Based Services course I took a few years ago at University. Back then, I couldn't really believe it, but now...

I wonder how good the accuracy of the GPS is, since GPS is very susceptible of interfering objects with regards to the signal reception, especially in urban canyons. But even with a broad error margin, the results give a good impression anyway.
    I'm not too sure. But I think the company might be giving us a bum-steer by using the term GPS.

I'd imagine the system would work similar to a Cordless Home Phone that transmit back to a base. That Receiver might located along a sideline or similar (out of the way of play).