Default Chalky - I'll stay for less

I'll stay for less, says O'Dwyer
    Travis Meyn | 12:01am March 30, 2013

TITANS "original" Luke O'Dwyer will accept a lesser pay packet to stay on the Gold Coast as he reaches the most pivotal point in his career.

The foundation utility is off contract at the end of this year and will get his first opportunity to push for a new deal against the Panthers in Penrith tomorrow.

O'Dwyer has been sounded out by English Super League club Salford City Reds, whose new chief executive is former Titans and NRL staff member Ed Farish.

But the 118-game veteran said he would do all he could to finish his career at the Gold Coast, including knocking back a big-money overseas offer.

"First and foremost, I just want to stay here. I want to play out my career here," O'Dwyer said.

"Hopefully in the next couple of weeks that will be all sorted out.

"Yeah I would (stay for less money).

"I'd obviously like to stay here and play out my career here but by the same token I want to be playing first grade and at the highest level."

O'Dwyer had a string of injuries in his younger years but has overcome them, playing 21 NRL matches last year.

He started the season in the Intrust Super Cup for Tweed Heads but has earned an NRL call-up to replace Ashley Harrison, who was ruled out with concussion.

At 30, O'Dwyer is chasing possibly the last contract of his career and, with two young children, he said leaving the Gold Coast would be a last resort and retirement wasn't on his mind.

"I'm happy here on the Coast. I've got my family, wife, friends, family and everything here," he said.

"It'd be nice to finish it here but if the offer's not there I can't really stay.

"My body's telling me I can still play.

"I'm happy and I enjoy it. While it's still like that I want to do it."

Harrison will come straight back into the team for next Friday's blockbuster home game against the Broncos.

O'Dwyer must impress tomorrow to hang on to a spot in the team.

"It's going to be a hot one out there," he said of the Penrith game. "The heat here is helping us get ready for it.

"Penrith are very hot and cold. We have to make sure we're on the ball with what we do and minimise their threats."

Coach John Cartwright is likely to shift Nate Myles to lock in place of Harrison with O'Dwyer to come off the bench.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...st-titans.html

Hope he tares it up this weekend, he should be in the centres instead of Michaels.

We need Chalky in our team to cover injuries and origin - the bloke gives his 100% and is a real club man.

Quote Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post
    Hope he tares it up this weekend, he should be in the centres instead of Michaels.

We need Chalky in our team to cover injuries and origin - the bloke gives his 100% and is a real club man.
    He's a Great Club man
    #itaintweaktospeak

a true club player. Our clubs seems to be building on that with guys like Mead, Zillman, Minichiello, Bird signing for the long term. Good to see that.
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

Nothing against this very creditable player but he and Michaels, to an even greater extent, are holding young players out ... I accept that this year we already have young blokes in Ridge, Srama, James yet our half's and Takairangi are imports and this should considered.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post
    the bloke gives his 100% and is a real club man.
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    He's a Great Club man
    Quote Originally Posted by Julius Sezer View Post
    a true club player.
    what they said.
    He has been Mr Reliable and always seems to get the job done.

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

would love to see chalky stay at the coast...his done so much for our community programs too