Northern move is all gold for Sam Lennon

When it comes to working for a professional rugby league career, Grafton product Sam Lennon is well on the right track.

A former captain of the under-18 Grafton Ghosts, Lennon moved to the Gold Coast at the end of the last season.

He found work as an apprentice electrician, and managed to get a trial with Intrust Super Cup team the Tweed Heads Seagulls.

"I had a trial with them and they wanted me to come back," Lennon said.

"As it turned out I knew a few of the blokes playing at Burleigh so went over to them instead."

Lennon's eyes are on a much greater prize, with a spot in the Gold Coast Titans' Holden Cup team the major goal for 2013.

"If anything I would love to have a crack at the Titans squad," Lennon said.

"Oliver (Percy, former Ghost) is playing over there as well at the moment and it would be good to play with him up there."

The decision to move from Grafton to the Gold Coast paid off for Lennon, who said he was enjoying his footy more than ever.

Lennon plays with his newfound mates at Burleigh, has a stable job off the field, and was given the captaincy of the Burleigh Bears Colts Challenge team.

Ghosts captain-coach Ryan Farrell said Lennon was an unbelievable asset to any team, and said the decision to give him the captaincy would've been a no-brainer.

"He spent two years in our U18s and captained them the whole time," Farrell said.

"Sam's a great player and an even better leader."

Lennon's 2012 campaign was a heavily interrupted one, battling through injury as his team qualified for the grand final.

In a glowing endorsement of the young dummy half's ability, Farrell said he wouldn't be surprised if Lennon was promoted to the top grade by the end of the year.

"There is no reason why he can't play Queensland Cup this year," Farrell said.

"He is lightning quick around the ruck and one of the better all-round players."

http://www.dailyexaminer.com.au/news...-star/1807346/