Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Idris sets sights on Origin

Idris sets sights on Origin

Emma Greenwood | 12:01am March 26, 2013

REJUVENATED Titans centre Jamal Idris has boldly declared he wants to reclaim a Blues Origin jersey after rediscovering the desire to succeed.

Idris admitted he was playing without goals or ambition last year when just getting on the field became a mission.

But surgery to correct a genetic hip condition has left Idris not only the fittest and lightest he has been in years but the hungriest for success.

"I feel a lot better out on the field," Idris said.

"Everyone says it's the extra effort. I have been doing extra fitness but it's a lot easier when you're not injured.

"I'm moving a lot better at the moment too and I'm feeling really fit."

Surgery to shave bone from his hips to better shape the socket has allowed Idris a greater level of lower limb flexibility, correcting the problems that used to strike after the 22-year-old had been on field about 50-60 minutes.

The constant battle against injury took its toll on the high-profile Titans recruit, who was under pressure to live up to his multimillion-dollar price tag.

"All you're doing throughout the week between games is just recovery, you're not even out on the field training with the rest of the boys," he said.

"Because you don't get to go out on the field and play with the ball and do any skills, you're just literally indoors, doing any kind of cardio you can.

"As soon as you get injured it takes a bit of spirit out of you," he said.

"You can't really push it. You go into games playing at maybe 65-70 per cent and it gets a bit frustrating.

"But when you're 100 per cent, there's nothing better than playing good footy."

The off-season correction left Idris feeling mentally, as well as physically refreshed.

"(Now), you're getting frustrated on a Tuesday, a Wednesday because it's so long in between games, whereas before you were getting frustrated on a Tuesday or Wednesday because you were stuck indoors doing cardio when the boys were out there soaking up the rays," he said.

The turnaround left Idris feeling so good he set himself some major goals at the start of the season, including adding to his sole Origin cap in 2010.

"I got to the point (last year) where I didn't have any goals, I was just playing on no ambition," he said.

"So I put it to myself that I want to play the best footy that I can so that I can hopefully get in Origin."

Idris knows he is not out of the Blues' thoughts.

He was one of three Titans invited to the NSW emerging Origin squad camp in Sydney in January and knows consistent form is the best audition he can make.

"(Origin) is definitely a goal this year. That will happen, I guess, if I keep playing good footy," he said.

Source: goldcoast.com.au

Beginning to hate Origin time (not really). Being a Queenslander, and having some of our players go into the Blue's Camp, makes it quite stressful for someone like me.

It's bad enough that they go play for the Blues, but then you got the extra worry that ya hope they don't succumb to a serious injury during the series, But at the same time, one hopes they're a worthy opponent to come up against the Maroons Camp.

Argh.. what's a Bloke to do?

How about Idris set his sights on being able to get on the outside of his man and put mead away. He is always cutting back in
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    How about Idris set his sights on being able to get on the outside of his man and put mead away. He is always cutting back in
    Probably keen to cut back in because he got one away to Alby that seen him go in under the sticks (against Canberra)..

I know what you mean though. It does have me wondering what Jamal is thinking at times when he gets the pill.

Didn't he say before that he isn't worried about Origin selection and just wants to concentrate on his club's performance? Anyways i think he really needs to have outstanding form here on in because with the likes of Josh Morris, Brett Morris, Michael Jennings, Jarryd Hayne all competing for the centre spots it will be hard for him to crack in to the team on his current performances alone.
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

He's no chance for Origin and only got selected before as the NSWailers thrashed around in desperation ... he needs to stand and run on to the ball, run lines in and outside his opposite number and forget that flat-footed, stuttering crap.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I think he is a long way off an Origin player atm , we will see in about 6 weeks time and take a look at how he is going.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    He's no chance for Origin and only got selected before as the NSWailers thrashed around in desperation ... he needs to stand and run on to the ball, run lines in and outside his opposite number and forget that flat-footed, stuttering crap.
    yeah he is a long way off being a soo centre.

A very sick Jamie Lyin still managed to do a few things in the game at skilled that jamal probably won't do all year
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Sezer View Post
    Didn't he say before that he isn't worried about Origin selection and just wants to concentrate on his club's performance? Anyways i think he really needs to have outstanding form here on in because with the likes of Josh Morris, Brett Morris, Michael Jennings, Jarryd Hayne all competing for the centre spots it will be hard for him to crack in to the team on his current performances alone.
    Dave Coal Train Taylor made those comments, about focusing on his club footy and getting to the finals.

I hate this sort of talk, after round 3. Sure, it might be all positive and "I back myself", but it says to me that you are thinking too far ahead, instead of focusing on the next game and letting your footy do the talking. If you put the performance on out on the field, the selectors will see it.

I was disappointed when Idris started running sideways metres again last week, and like others have said, he should be looking to either break the line, or draw and pass, but hasn't shown enough to be SOO so far IMO. Personally, the less SOO reps we have, the better IMO! Sorry Titans players, but even as a QLD'er, I would take the SOO loss for a top 4 finish.

Having said that, NSW are probably looking for another strategy to beat QLD (any strategy to beat QLD!!), and size and strength is as good a strategy as any when you are down 7-nil.

I should just add, that as a member of the 2013 Big Jamma Fan Club, I wish him all the best for his SOO quest, and if he is good enough to get the jersey, then congrats Jamma, and I hope you play well in a losing team!

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

again... http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/d...-1226621807470

He is way off from playing in SOO. Hasn't done anything noteworthy yet. Needs to really have a blinder.

I think he did well against Parra. Some good runs, opened up Parra, saved at least one try.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I think he did well against Parra. Some good runs, opened up Parra, saved at least one try.
    But still not enough to get a look in to SOO.

Gold Coast Titan Jamal Idris has reshaped his body and revitalised his NRL career

THE biggest find of the NRL season might just be Jamal Idris finding himself.

The centre will embark today towards his goal of regaining his NSW and Test jumpers when he plays for NSW Country against City at BCU International Stadium in Coffs Harbour.

And he does so finally happy in his own skin, or perhaps more accurately, his own skin folds.

"I just see him as a happy person. The main difference is he is actually enjoying it, I don't think he really enjoyed his footy as much (in 2012),'' Titans head strength and conditioning coach Dan Ferris said. "He is happy with himself, he is happy with his footy, he is happy with the way he looks.

"His skin folds are the lowest they've ever been since he was about 14 or 15.

"It's just good for him, he is back to where he is striking fear in the opposition, I believe.''

The turning point for Idris, 23, was off-season surgery to "release'' his hips which impacted upon his running and leg movement.

For the first time since he was seven, Idris can now cross his legs while sitting down.

Idris fronted a meeting with coach John Cartwright and Ferris on day one of pre-season where he outlined exactly what he wanted from himself.

"He wanted to have a representative year,'' Ferris said. "It's just good to see a player with such determination come in and say `I want to achieve this' rather than us pushing them.

Gold Coast big men Ryan James and Jamal Idris have drawn praise from coach John Cartwright for reshaping their bodies and their careers.

"We didn't have to tell him, he knew it.''

They mapped out a three-step process. Have surgery on the hips, drop his weight from 121kg down to 112kg by season start and unleash his full potential in the gym.

Weekly meetings with the club dietitian helped drop the kilos while training in the club's altitude chamber, and outdoor hiking got his fitness to levels he had never reached previously.

"They were working me like a dog, basically,'' Idris said. "We have a GPS of how much work we do and I was almost doubling what I'd done previous. In saying that, it's all paying off at the moment.''

Last year Idris and fellow Country rep Ryan James lagged in last place on 800m time trials - now they are up the front.

Cartwright praised both men for reshaping their bodies and their careers.

"The pair of them, they worked very, very hard in the off-season,'' Cartwright said. "They both totally changed I suppose their lifestyles and their body shapes show that. They're playing big minutes and both have been really effective for us.''

It was actually four weeks before round 1 that Idris hit his target weight.

The aim now for Idris and the Titans is to maximise his potential.

In his first pre-season at the club Idris stunned all when at his very first gym session after wrist surgery, having not touched weights for six weeks, he broke the club bench press record.

"He has got so much natural talent and we just had to unleash it basically,'' Ferris said. "His potential is unlimited, I think we've just scratched the surface.''

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/