Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Titans' hookers the difference

From http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1226611287273

THE secret to why the Gold Coast are flying is their hookers Matt Srama and Beau Falloon.

Just like Cameron Smith at the Melbourne Storm, these two at the Titans are dominating the speed of the ruck and are capitalising on the good work of their forwards.

When the Titans lost Nathan Friend at the end of the 2011 season, I felt they really lost a bit of direction.

At the time Srama was put in, I thought he was a bit young and had been thrown in the deep end too early. I thought it would have been much better for Srama to work a bit longer as Friend's back-up.

But I've noticed how much Srama has improved this year. He has really grown in confidence and is making the right decisions.

Falloon is exactly what you want coming off the bench. He comes on and plays like a No.9.

He is tenacious, takes off up the middle, throws good dummies and challenges the tired defence.

The key for any hooker is to test the markers and put pressure on the A and B defenders either side of the ruck.

Some reserve hookers get in there and want to put on special plays and show off their skills instead of just using their speed, footwork and freshness to take on the opposition.

But if you watch Falloon, he comes in and plays straight.

He doesn't run sideways, like so many others.

That is what the Titans are doing best and it's really effective.

Everyone in that team knows their role and are doing it, and that is why they're winning.

The hookers are controlling the game, and when they get good go-forward that's when the backs call it. They don't call it every time; they're picking the right moments.

It's different to what is happening at North Queensland and to a lesser extent at the Broncos.

The Cowboys are really struggling because they've lost Aaron Payne and James Segeyaro.

People ask me what's wrong with the Cowboys, and my simple answer is they're not dominating the ruck to give those outside guys space.

They're trying to play this passing game before they've earned the right.

Brisbane showed against Melbourne that when they play a direct game they can create space and opportunities for the outside men.

That is why they scored those tries out wide and their attack started to look a lot sharper.

That is something they need to take more advantage of.

The Broncos can employ a bit of the Titans' game plan to work against them on Friday night.

But I don't think the Broncos are having the same impact with their bench as the Titans, and by that I mean the replacement hooker.

I think Andrew McCullough is a very good player, but when they take him off, I think they lose a bit of direction and lose a bit of spark around the ruck.

No disrespect to Ben Hunt, but if he wants to play in that position he has to play like a nine.

He fought all pre-season to wear the six or seven, and now the team needs him to play like a No.9 and play more directly.

At times I think he does still creep across field too much and doesn't play directly enough.

You watch Falloon at the Titans. He made three or four breaks straight up the middle last week and doesn't run sideways.

Because of the way the ruck is being policed now that is the best option, that is the time to play directly and target those tired defenders.

If Hunt is not going to do that, then get someone else or just leave McCullough on, because I'm sure he could play a good 80 minutes and get the job done.

The last time the Broncos won the premiership, in 2006, they had Shaun Berrigan at nine and he was testing the line and getting the go-forward.

It just goes to show you can put any player in there if they're willing to play the role the way you want them to.

Gorden Tallis
    The Courier-Mail
    April 02, 2013 11:00PM

Nice article written by the Tallis who tipped us to get the spoon
    #itaintweaktospeak

Tallis is fast turning into my favourite tv personality too ... he's out-spoken and charismatic ... a long way from the moronic Stupid League version.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Tallis is fast turning into my favourite tv personality too ... he's out-spoken and charismatic ... a long way from the moronic Stupid League version.
    Maybe. But it was a bit ruggered of him, 5 or so weeks ago to suggest that We'd be scrappin' it out with the Panthers for the spoon this year. It's gunna take me a lil' while to come to terms with that statement he made.

Good write-up, nonetheless.

I think at that time the punt on Kelly/Sezer was killing us and let's be fair we are only 4 games in.

To think that Srama was so close to going to the Tigers about 3 yrs ago gives me the jitters. We are lucky to have him. Just needs to develop his game more.
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Nice article written by the Tallis who tipped us to get the spoon
    If Kelly and Sezar spend prolonged time on the sidelines we are every bit a wooden spoon prospect, that was the stark reality that comes out of Friday night. Those two guys together are good enough to make Cartwright look like a functional coach. Imagine how they could look if they had somebody with a clue in charge.

I just read today that Sezar is expected to be OK for the Parra game - are we the only team in the comp that brings players back after hammy's after one week?? Look how that worked out for Takaraingi!! If he breakes down in this game against Parra and is out for a month we might not win another game before origin, he is that important.

Through three rounds I would say that our ceiling is 6th position and our bottom is as low as 16th. This competition is too tough to maintain a grinding, arm wrestle style of game for 26 rounds.

Mate, I wouldn't be disappointed in a mid-table finish but it begs the question o where do we go from there? ... I would be making a play for Jacob Loko who, if he's not injured, seems on the outer at Parra.

Mate, I wouldn't be disappointed in a mid-table finish but it begs the question o where do we go from there? ... I would be making a play for Jacob Loko who, if he's not injured, seems on the outer at Parra.
    Are you referring to him not playing yesterday? I think he came down with the flu which is why he was taken off.

Loko is one of their golden kids, they will not let him go ever
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

The club's main priorities should be getting a good coach and a star fullback. Just imagine how different our attack would be if we had a fullback that actually wants to score tries? But the club doesn't need to sign a star fullback if they move Mead to fullback. The last priority is to get a good backup option in the halves. Our halves are too fragile in terms of quality depth.
    Last edited by Julius Sezer; 07-04-13 at 03:17 PM.
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

Good teams don't have backups in the halves. There is nobody behind Cronk and there is nobody behind Cherry-Evand and Foran.

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Good teams don't have backups in the halves. There is nobody behind Cronk and there is nobody behind Cherry-Evand and Foran.
    Yeah good point this
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    I thought Storm bought Finch for back up?

Since Falloon has lifted his game to match that of Srama. I've gotta admit. I've warmed to the idea of playing two hookers. They both have their own style of game, and when you think about it from the oppositions point of view, it must prove a bit of a head **** (especially with the Forwards.) when swap 'em over..