Default Henry Piles On Points In Fiery Derby

Matthew McInerney

18/03/2013 9:10:29 AM

A 14-point haul from halfback Beau Henry helped Tweed Heads Seagulls to a gritty 26-20 victory over Burleigh Bears at a windy Les Burger Field today.

Moved to the Cabarita Beach ground due to Piggabeen being unplayable, the Seagulls made the ground their fortress as they collected the two points.

It wasn?t as easy as it sounds, with multiple scuffles, two sin bins, several blood bins and poor handling punctuating the grudge match.

Seagulls coach Aaron Zimmerle said he would take the win regardless of how it came, as he started his coaching career with a first-up win.

?I was really proud,? Zimmerle said of his troops.

?The thing that determined who won it was the team who defended the best.?

Burleigh coach Carl Briggs said it was a disappointing start for his team but paid credit where it was due.

?From a Burleigh point of view we were very disappointed,? Briggs said as the Seagulls launched into their team song in the background.

?Full credit to Tweed who came out and took their chances and got what they deserved.

?When they got a sniff of it they took a hold of it but we came in and out of the game.?

The loss of Todd Seymour after a fight with Henry in the 30th minute hurt the Bears, but Briggs refused to use the loss of his halfback as an excuse.

?You build the majority of your game around your number seven,? Briggs said.

?He?s looking at a face fracture of some sort but I?m not going to blame that.

?We still had 16 players to use on the field and I had belief that those guys could win the game.?

Seymour was sent to the sin bin after his role in the scuffle, but didn?t return as he went to hospital for scans.

The Bears weren?t the only team hurting after the game, with a queue of three Seagulls, including Gold Coast Titan Mark Minichiello, receiving stitches.

Starting the season with a 0-4 record was a real prospect for the Seagulls, but the first-up win over their local rivals places them in good stead when it comes to confidence.

?We go Wynnum the defending premiers, grand finalists Redcliffe who have the best team in the comp, then up to Northern Pride,? Zimmerle said.

?It is going to be tough but it will help give the guys some confidence, and we will have a better idea as to what kind of season we?re in for.?

Kingi Akauola produced a dominant performance in the middle for the Seagulls today and Zimmerle will be looking for another big effort from his pack leader in next Sunday's home clash against Wynnum.

TWEED HEADS SEAGULLS 26 (James Wood, Beau Henry, Cory Blair, Luke O?Dwyer tries; Beau Henry 5 goals) def BURLEIGH BEARS 20 (Steve Michaels, Jordan Rankin, Sam Meskell, Shane Gray tries; Jordan Rankin 2 goals) at Les Burger Field, Cabarita.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Mini probably copped a cheap shot for his stitches, looks more like a Titans scoreboard with most of those names..
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Mini probably copped a cheap shot for his stitches, looks more like a Titans scoreboard with most of those names..
    wish this was televised sounds like a cracker
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Yeah. Next time our feeder teams play we will have to make a day of it,

Alby is going great and rankin and Henry doing well for their feeder team.

We've been told our halves are a problem... I bet the warriors, broncos, dragons, raiders and couple more teMs wish they had our halves problems.