Default Pacific Test: Samoa vs Tonga

SONNY Bill Williams, Roy Asotasi, Frank Pritchard and Jeff Lima could be the cornerstones of the greatest Samoan rugby league team ever assembled for a planned Test in April, seriously damaging New Zealand.

This week officials hope to finalise the Samoa v Tonga match for April 20, part of a double header with the under-20s State of Origin clash, and already many of the NRL's top stars are being mooted as participants - which would lock them in to playing for Samoa in this year's World Cup.

The match would be a day after this year's Anzac Test in Canberra - a contest for which the Kiwis would be hoping to pick many players with dual eligibility.

Former international turned NRL welfare and education manager Nigel Vagana is a driving force behind the Samoa-Tonga Test match.

Should Williams defect from New Zealand to Samoa, it would end his ambition to win World Cups with New Zealand in both rugby codes, having been part of the All Blacks' victorious 2011 rugby union campaign.

Vagana refused to divulge the identities of players who had made themselves available, but News Limited understands that all of the aforementioned superstars are seriously contemplating playing for Samoa, which would prevent them turning out for New Zealand in the Anzac Test and World Cup in October-November.

"If the cards - or the coconuts - fall our way, we could potentially have the greatest Samoan team ever," Vagana said. "I actually think Tonga could have their best possible team ever as well.

"It has always been a viable option for 18, 19, 20-year-olds to play for the Pacific nations and then go on and play for New Zealand or Australia, I did it as a young guy, but what's happening now is that it's becoming a serious option for older players, seasoned first-graders.

"The want for players to grow the international game is becoming a lot stronger."

In the last World Cup, Michael Jennings and Tony Williams played for Tonga, while Jarryd Hayne represented Fiji, and all went on to represent Australia.

Under league's international eligibility rules, players who elect to play for a certain nation cannot represent another country they're eligible for until the end of the next planned World Cup or over a two-year gap, whichever occurs first.

Possible Samoan team: Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Daniel Vidot, Chase Stanley, Junior Sa'u, Jorge Taufua, Jerome Ropati, Thomas Leuluai, Jeff Lima, Ben Roberts, Roy Asotasi, Sonny Bill Williams, Frank Pritchard, Reni Maitua. Reserves: Josh McGuire, Eddie Pettybourne, Matthew Wright, Mark Taufua.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Tonga-Samoa Test In Sydney On April 20

RUGBY league history will be made on April 20 when Tonga plays Samoa in a Sydney Test.

Years of lobbying for countries other than Australia and New Zealand to get piece of the mid-season spotlight have finally borne fruit with two teams full of NRL stars to go on show, at Centrebet Stadium as part of a double-header with the Under 20s State Of Origin.

Clubs have been advised they will be required to release Tongan and Samoan players for the match, which was the result of Fox Sports wanting an extra game on the representative weekend.

The NRL will next year give two different island nations the chance to take part. League aficionados hope that one day there will be a weekend off club football in the middle of seasons in which all countries can play internationals.

Australia plays New Zealand at Canberra Stadium on April 19 with City taking on Country at Coffs Harbour Sports Stadium on April 21.

Source: stevemascord.com

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

This is fantastic! Next year we may see Fiji vs PNG as well. I believe all major nations in the Pacific need a regular hit out.

Hurrell still to choose between NZ and Tonga

The international future of Konrad Hurrell is still up in the air, with the blockbusting Warriors centre admitting he is yet to make up his mind whether he make himself available for New Zealand or Tonga.

Hurrell burst onto the first-grade scene for the Warriors last season, scoring 12 tries in his first 17 games for the club, and has started 2013 with two tries in his first four outings.

The 21-year-old centre was born and raised in Tofoa, Tonga, before moving to New Zealand to take up a rugby union scholarship with Auckland Grammar School in late 2009.

Hurrell, who is yet to hold a full New Zealand visa, signed a letter of intent to play for the Kiwis last year.

However, he told Sunday News last week he had yet to decide whether he wants to pull on the black of New Zealand, or the red of Tonga, when he gets the international call.

"At the moment, it's still 50-50," Hurrell said. "Before, I always thought it would be the Kiwis, but it's pretty hard at the moment.

"To get myself there [in either team], I just have to work hard on the field. At the moment, it's 50-50. I still want to make a team to play in the World Cup - but at the moment, it's hard to choose."

Hurrell's name could potentially be in the mix when Tonga announce their team for a one-off test against Samoa in Sydney on April 20.

The young centre may be considered too raw for the international game at this stage, with his defence still needing plenty of work at the NRL level, though a Rugby League World Cup call-up is certainly possible.

Hurrell's path to a Kiwis jumper for the October/November tournament in the northern hemisphere looks blocked by the likes of Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Krisnan Inu, Simon Mannering and Dean Whare.

A place in the Tongan team, captained by club team-mate Feleti Mateo, would see Hurrell face far less competition.

"I always wanted to represent my country, but you come here [to New Zealand] for a reason, and that is to develop yourself from where you were before," he said. "I want to take my time, and make sure I don't regret my decision."

Hurrell's comments come after the news last week that Samoa had secured the services of former Kiwi Steve Matai for the World Cup. It is understood that a raft of former New Zealand internationals will front for the Island nations during the tournament. Hurrell believes that's a positive step for international rugby league.

"From what I've heard, there'll be no weak sides at the World Cup," he said. "It's good that more and more people are going back to their original countries to help them. I'd certainly be looking forward to it if I made it. It would be my first World Cup ever - league or union - so fingers crossed I can make a team."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/

This match should be great for international footy.

Ex-Kiwis Lima, Fa'alogo to play for Samoa

AAP
    Sun 14th April, 9:

Former New Zealand rugby league internationals Jeff Lima and David Fa'alogo will play for Samoa in Saturday's Test against Tonga in Penrith.

South Sydney prop Lima and second-rower Fa'alogo, who has returned to the NRL with Newcastle, are the latest Kiwis to commit their future to Samoa ahead of the end-of-year Rugby League World Cup.

"With over 30 per cent of our players having Pacific heritage, it will be great to be able to showcase once again the diversity within the game," said Samoa coach Steve Price.

"I am looking forward to seeing the passion and pride that was shown during the last World Cup between these two fierce rivals."

Sam Moa, who joined Sydney Roosters this season, Manly's Brent Kite and Parramatta cult hero Fuifui Moimoi have been named in Tonga's squad.

Squads:

Tonga (from): Richie Fa'aoso (Manly), Glen Fisiiahi (Warriors), Mahe Fonua (Melbourne), Daniel Foster (Penrith), Dave Hala (Brisbane), Sydney Havea (Hakame Broncos), Silivia Havili (Warriors), Brent Kite (Manly), Samsoni Langi (Sydney Roosters), Siuatonga Likiliki (Newcastle), Sika Manu (Penrith), Sam Moa (Sydney Roosters), Fuifui Moimoi (Parramatta), Benny Murdoch-Masila (Wests Tigers), Michael Oldfield (Sydney Roosters), Pat Politini (Cronulla), Nafe Seluini (Sydney Roosters), Jason Taumalolo (North Queensland), Anthony Tupou (Cronulla), Etu Uaisele (Wyong)

Samoa (from): Martin Taupau (Canterbury), Antonio Winterstein (North Queensland), Kalifa Fai Fai Loa (both North Queensland), Daniel Vidot, Leeson Ah Mau (both St George Illawarra), Ben Roberts (Parramatta), David Fa'alogo (Newcastle), Pita Godinet, Carlos Tuimavave (both Warriors), Lama Tasi (Sydney Roosters), Sam Tagataese, Mark Taufua (both Cronulla), Roy Asotasi, Jeff Lima (both South Sydney), Junior Sa'u (Melbourne), Eddy Pettybourne, Masada Losefa (both West Tigers), Tanielu Pasene, Leia Saofaiga (both Rugby League Samoa).
    #itaintweaktospeak

Gates open - 12.30pm

NSW CUP WINDSOR v WENTWORTHVILLE - 1PM

NSW CUP NORTHS v MOUNTIES - 3.10PM

U/20's ORIGIN NSW v QLD - 5.35PM

TEST MATCH TONGA v SAMOA - 7.35PM

I wish I could attend this one. So cheap as well!

Woohoo go Tonga!

Looks like a fantastic game for Rugby League backed by a big crowd. Considering there was epicly terrible rain in the lead up, I know because I was driving through it in Sydney coming back from Canberra.

This needs to be an ANNUAL match, also should include Fiji v PNG in the Rep Round.

As for the crowd, they were passionate but it needs to be controlled. It wasnt hard to imagine this happening, just a shame it shaved 40seconds off the match which isnt acceptable. NRL must have skimped on the security.

But I can see this growing and growing and maybe next time we will see 20,000! But 10,000 at a Test not including the big three is a huge and exciting effort.

The Hakas and anthems were amazing.