Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gold Coast Titans in push to win back fans in wake of debt crisis

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1226579473883

THE Titans have brokered a new Skilled Park stadium deal that will save an estimated $300,000 in operating costs as part of a strategic push to win back Gold Coast fans following the debt crisis that nearly bankrupted the club.

Only 12 months ago, the Titans were fighting for survival, with NRL auditors having uncovered a $25million debt and crowds dropping 33per cent on the record numbers that had flocked to Skilled Park in 2008.

But under the stewardship of new chief executive David May, the Titans have formulated a blueprint to re-connect with the community.

The Sunday Mail can reveal:

The Titans have signed a new tenancy deal with Stadiums Queensland to remain at Robina's Skilled Park until the end of 2017.

The five-year arrangement can be reviewed on an annual basis to ensure hiring costs are palatable.

The Titans have hired a US firm that works with NFL clubs to deliver revolutionary structured-pricing deals to fans.

Any fan under 18, accompanied by a Titans member, will get free entry in a bid to boost crowds.

CEO May will take a leaf from English Premier League clubs and preside over a community forum later this month to hear feedback from fans.

Titans crowds have dipped alarmingly in recent years, with the average home gate of 14,405 last season well below the mark of 21,618 that attended Skilled Park fixtures four years ago.

May has identified several key reasons for the decline, including the side's flagging on-field performances, the general cost of attending games and the financial uncertainty that engulfed the Titans in recent seasons.

But the Gold Coast boss is determined to stop the rot and believes the revised stadium deal, which provides fiscal latitude for the club to slash ticket prices, can reignite the Titans and confidence in the club.

"We need to get Gold Coast people excited about being at Titans games again," May said.

"I think there is a general cloud of uncertainty we are trying to clear away and we are working hard to show the fans we are sustainable, we are on solid foundations and we will be here for the long-term.

"That stuff doesn't come overnight. We want people to have faith and trust in us and that doesn't come overnight. It comes from doing the right thing consistently over time.

"How much of a hit (the Titans brand) took is hard to say, but we have to cement relationships with the fans and we have a job to rebuild the community's faith in the Titans."

The Titans hope to double their membership base to around 11,000.

Some family tickets will average out at $9 per person as part of the Gold Coast's bid to swell home crowds beyond the 18,000 mark.

May, the former marketing guru at Jetstar, has also engaged a US ticketing firm to introduce pricing strategies traditionally associated with airline companies.

"We have an `early-bird' campaign where adults get entry at kids' prices by buying well in advance of games," he said.

May said the new stadium deal would provide savings to the club in terms of hiring and ancillary services such as police and transport costs.

It is believed the Titans outlaid around $100,000 to host a game at Skilled Park under the previous tenancy arrangement with Stadiums Queensland.

"The key thing I wanted out of the stadium deal was the ability to reduce ticket prices. We have done that.

"When you have a market doing it tough like the Gold Coast, the No.1 factor for families is the price of getting to the stadium and attending games," May said.

"We have budgeted for 15,000, but I would like to see us get 18,000. If we can average in that area then it will help the team's performances. I just want to see the people back."

Great news. Love the new pricing structures/incentives mentioned here. Look forward to hearing more about them. Sounds like i might have to make my way to a few more games this year...

Interested in the Community Forum...what are the details?
    Another point worth mentioning is that this online forum is a valid community to hear feedback from fans!

An excellent article, especially coming out of the Courier Mail ... never a mention of drugs, under-performing players AND a positive slant to the financial situation
    Last edited by Titanic; 17-02-13 at 11:47 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

i love it dave for mvp! he just keeps doing a wonderful job ! this will make a great difference to home crowd and community support

Great news about the stadium deal.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    Interested in the Community Forum...what are the details?
    Another point worth mentioning is that this online forum is a valid community to hear feedback from fans!
    It is for sure. That's why I'm here.

But I want the world at large to know they have a voice too.

Guys

Also... Our intention is always to do the best deals for our members.

Aside from all the great things you get and get access to as a member, I want the best prices for members too.

Membership prices start from as low as $9.11 per game per person this year. And we also have a free seating upgrade (or 15% discount of next year's price) if you refer a friend. I really want to try and get over 10,000 members this year.

We are doing lots of new things around game day pricing too, but with the goal of getting the best prices, seats and benefits for members.

I have just registered. It's only an away membership, as its all i can afford right now, but hopefully i can upgrade throughout the year / next season.

I've believed in and supported the club since day 1. Membership has never really made fiscal sense to me, as i haven't been able to get to that many games, but i really like some of the changes and improvements I've been seeing lately and figured it was a great time to pledge my allegiance via dollars and cents. Keep doing a great Job David May & Co. and I'll keep supporting.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by kickit2gordon View Post
    I have just registered. It's only an away membership, as its all i can afford right now, but hopefully i can upgrade throughout the year / next season.

I've believed in and supported the club since day 1. Membership has never really made fiscal sense to me, as i haven't been able to get to that many games, but i really like some of the changes and improvements I've been seeing lately and figured it was a great time to pledge my allegiance via dollars and cents. Keep doing a great Job David May & Co. and I'll keep supporting.

Cheers
    Appreciate the support mate.

Everyone has to choose the path that suits them, but all shows of support are greatly appreciated.

Every single membership counts.

Thanks again.

D

We happy that we have memberships that are affordable for all. And offer options for fans who can't make it to games or just the odd one or two, where ever that may be.

The modern Rugby League fan isn't just your traditional supporter at the stadium. These days we engage in many ways. TV. Radio. Internet. And live streaming is the future. These fans also are out there in the work places, play grounds and dinner tables representing us. I'm just happy they are catered to and respected.

The stadium deal that David May has led the charge in landing is a huge huge coup. As silly as it sounds. Because Skilled Park was a purpose built state asset. The deal was savage on our clubs finances. Especially when you compare it to what clubs pay down south. It wasn't a level playing field.

I'm delighted this came through and so soon.

I'm also happy to see David May get some credit. I'm sure he isn't after it and results and happy fans are what he wants to see. But it must add some fuel tithe tank. Especially when Babel writes it! He'd be like a kid being forced to eat greens.

One thing that will help us going forward is, yes we had some of the highest prices in the Rugby League. But when we cut prices people will notice and it will become an attractive proposition.

Community Forum is a fantastic idea. It is also a chance for fans to get to know each other. Which is a powerful element in retention and recruitment. So I hope they out on a bit of food for people to have a chat. Before or after. Also hope we get a good cross section of fans represented.

The news about the stadium deal eclipses any signing in my opinion!
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 17-02-13 at 02:34 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Ticket prices are one thing but the biggest expense is the food and drinks, its a joke to go get 2 pies . 2 drinks and a bag of chips and have to hand over $20+ for it. I do know that is probably out of the titans control but still.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Smakked View Post
    Ticket prices are one thing but the biggest expense is the food and drinks, its a joke to go get 2 pies . 2 drinks and a bag of chips and have to hand over $20+ for it. I do know that is probably out of the titans control but still.
    We all agree on the pricing of food & drink but the Titans have zero control over any of it..
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    We all agree on the pricing of food & drink but the Titans have zero control over any of it..
    yeah i know this. Maybe Titans can set up sausage sizzle outside the ground like they did last year over at the COE. but keep it going for the whole match.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

A couple of thoughts on this.

Firstly, Titan Pete is right in that the titans can't control the food bev price. However, in the same way that they have had discussions and sorted the ticket price to some extent, I'm sure there would be some dialogue occurring based on food prices. Whether it can be changed or not, I just think that it would be on the agenda and at least questions asked.

Secondly, I'm not sure a stand alone company could make much money from this without charging what they do. We should seek a partnership / sponsorship with a bigger company like a subway who gain exposure and set prices to consumers which could relfect normal subway prices rather than a trumped up off-site pricing structure. People won't feel like they being gouged so much. I don't really drink, so I can't speak to the beer prices.

Although being able to cancel the existing company is even less likely than being able to change the prices, at least explore options like this for the future when food and bev deals are up for tender again.

I'm probably dreaming, but David has made some serious in roads into problem areas before, lets give this a crack.