Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

I agree Smakked. We need to take whatever proactive and aggressive action we can to try and get on the front foot.

We should have done this years ago with an integrity commission!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

The problem is that State legislation will not allow the sharing of information between different bodies as a matter of course. Plus the ACC aren't going to give a sporting body sensitive information while an investigation is in process ... and nor should they.

Just consider the weak-minded players who mindlessly listen to any "guru" who turns up with some miracle elixir ... this is what gets me, they put themselves in a position, the club turns a blind eye (which club is going to sack their best player [think Todd Carney ... I don't accuse him but cite the Raiders dilemma sacking him] and then the crims apply the pressure of fixing games.

Knee jerk reactions won't solve this and not David May nor David Smith nor anybody else can fix this quickly ... this in endemic in our professional sporting culture ... just have a look at what is readily on the market for those who don't play scrutinised sports ... the majority of those supplements that are banned by the NRL can be purchased legally if you are into body building for example.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    The problem is that State legislation will not allow the sharing of information between different bodies as a matter of course. Plus the ACC aren't going to give a sporting body sensitive information while an investigation is in process ... and nor should they.

Just consider the weak-minded players who mindlessly listen to any "guru" who turns up with some miracle elixir ... this is what gets me, they put themselves in a position, the club turns a blind eye (which club is going to sack their best player [think Todd Carney ... I don't accuse him but cite the Raiders dilemma sacking him] and then the crims apply the pressure of fixing games.

Knee jerk reactions won't solve this and not David May nor David Smith nor anybody else can fix this quickly ... this in endemic in our professional sporting culture ... just have a look at what is readily on the market for those who don't play scrutinised sports ... the majority of those supplements that are banned by the NRL can be purchased legally if you are into body building for example.
    Not undermine ur point titanic, but I think Asada or the ACC have now let the AFL and NRL know who the clubs in trouble are, and its up to the bodies to inform the clubs.

With public pressure being what it is,and this being such a huge issue, the NRL and then clubs involved will feel enormous pressure to address this very quickly, as not doing so will be seen to be hiding / stalling.

Im sure some how or way the names will be soon leaked or hinted.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by RLW
    UPDATE:

The NRL are working on a process to inform clubs that they have been the subject of intelligence gathering by the ACC.

NRL CEO Dave Smith says it won't publicly reveal clubs under investigation for legal reasons. The identification of those under investigation will be a matter for individual clubs.

“The NRL is in close and productive negotiation with the Australian Crime Commission to establish a formal mechanism by which we can inform individual clubs that they have been the subject of intelligence gathering by the ACC.
    “Tony Whitlam QC is today continuing to assist the NRL in establishing a formal set of procedures with the ACC through which information can be passed to the clubs. This framework should be established in 24-48 hours.
    “Once this information is passed on the NRL will not, under the guidelines outlined by the ACC, be able to identify the clubs publicly. This will be a matter for the individual clubs to consider in consultation with ASADA, the ACC and the NRL.
    “While acknowledging media speculation about the number of clubs today the NRL remains bound by strict legal constraints and these have been reinforced today by both the ACC and Justice Minister Jason Clare.
    “The NRL accepts that there are frustrations for players, clubs and fans, however, the significance of these matters demands they are dealt with through a proper process.”

The problem with any of this is that the clubs who are clear will not be cleared unless all the clubs that are in trouble declare themselves or that's how I read it.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Good operators have nothing to fear from checks, says former Titans trainer Chris McLellan
    Peter Badel

ONE of Australian sport's most respected trainers yesterday welcomed an unprecedented probe into high-performance staff as the controversial Stephen Dank prepares to deliver a tell-all interview.

Determined to weed out the prospect of illicit doping, Australian sports and crime authorities are set to turn the blowtorch on high-performance and training staff operating within the NRL and AFL.

Under the plan, former Titans conditioning guru Chris McLellan would be among scores of fitness experts to come under review, including possible criminality checks for links to organised crime figures.

While there is no suggestion any footballing medico is peddling banned substances under the WADA code, authorities view sports scientists as one avenue by which athletes may seek to obtain performance-enhancing drugs.

But McLellan said last night he had nothing to hide and endorsed a sweeping investigation to ensure high-performance units within Australian sport were squeaky clean.

"If that's what they plan to do I have no problem at all," said McLellan, who quit the Titans in September to take up a role with AFL's Brisbane Lions.

"I would be genuinely surprised if there was anybody in this field dabbling in stuff like peptides."

McLellan admits he was shocked by an initial report that urine vials had been discovered following a police bomb-sweep of the Titans' Skilled Park home ground.

The "vials" turned out to be a five-year-old jam jar, vindicating McLellan's stance that doping simply does not exist at the Titans.

"I was with the club from day one so I knew everything that went on with sports science there and the Titans are drug-free," McLellan said.

"In my time there, we didn't even do urine testing at Skilled Park.

"The only urine testing we did was for hydration and when we did it, we would do it off-site.

"There was nothing sinister to anything we did at the Titans."

Meanwhile, Dank, the man at the centre of the Essendon drugs saga, is set to declare his innocence.

After several days in hiding, sources close to Dank say the controversial sports scientist is ready to declare he never administered illegal substances to athletes in the AFL or NRL. It is understood Dank has completed a pre-recorded interview with ABC's 7.30 Report which will air tomorrow night.

The former Essendon sports-science guru offered an emphatic "no" when asked by News Limited on Wednesday whether he had knowingly given or injected banned substances to Bombers players.

But after staying silent for 48 hours as ASADA and the Australian Crime Commission ramp up investigations into doping and alleged organised crime links, Dank is ready to open up.

He is expected to include detailed accounts of the practices he employed at clubs including Essendon and former NRL premiers Manly.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl

We are clean, because if there was even a shadow of doubt, this goose would print it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Haha that's what I thought coaster.

They said clubs will be notified over next 24 hours.

Dank to be interviewed on abc 730 report tonight should be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by gothabull View Post
    Dank to be interviewed on abc 730 report tonight should be interesting
    Thanks for the tip. I dare say he will deny deny deny and be hostile though.

I'll IQ it.

Broncos titans and cows havent been contacted which is good for us

I hope so. I heard something early on about NSW and VIC police being involved. I hope that is a tip of the hat to us.

7.30 report on now gang.