Default Israel Folau scores two tries in rugby union debut for the NSW Waratahs

by:Tyson Otto From: The Sunday Telegraph February 03, 2013 12:00am

ISRAEL Folau has exploded into his latest footy life as a rugby player.

In a great first hit-out for the NSW Waratahs against the Melbourne Rebels, Folau scored two tries, handed off another and was shown a yellow card.

Playing fullback, Folau lit up the trial match as the Waratahs launched Michael Cheika's coaching reign with an eight-point win.

Before being sin-binned in the second half, Folau showed it might not be such a long way to the top if he wants to play for the Wallabies.

The 23-year-old code-hopping superstar could just as easily have been making the same impact for the Eels in their first trial last night against Newcastle, 2000km away in Armidale.

There were times when it looked like the Minto-raised product had never dropped 7kg in a complete overhaul of his physique for the endurance of AFL running.

Aside from a shaky understanding of the rules and intricacies of the game, Folau was a threat in attack.

"I felt really comfortable," Folau said. "It was like I never left a game like rugby.

"I felt really relaxed and that's how I played. Today, I can learn a lot from the game and there's certainly a long way to go in terms of learning a few things."

Even Wallabies coach Robbie Deans, who was watching on from the stands, was impressed with the debutant.

"I don't want to talk about individual cases, but he's obviously playing very well," Deans said. "It's good to see him playing rugby."

Nearly everything he did suggested Folau could be as devastating in rugby as he was in the NRL.

Cheika said Folau's first hit-out far exceeded expectations after he only joined the sport on December 4.

"Positionally, he was much better synced than I thought he might be," Cheika said. "Obviously, his natural talent showed through on a couple of occasions and I think he looked pretty comfortable."

ISRAEL FOLAU

Israel Folau of the Waratahs breaks through the Rebels defence to score the first try of the game during the Super Rugby trial match between the Waratahs and the Rebels. Source: Getty Images

His talent was on display when he scored the first try of the game in the 12th minute, picking up a loose ball at the end of the back line, cutting back in with a thumping left-foot step before breaking three tackles on his way to line.

He also scored the last try to seal a NSW victory with the last play of the game, stepping outside of two opponents before darting 30m to cross on the left wing.

It had at least one commentator declaring he has already done more in rugby than he did in two years of AFL.

Folau wore jumper No. 15 and slotted straight into fullback before spending brief stints on the left and right wings. It was the right wing where it all went horribly wrong for him.

Just a minute after five-eighth Bernard Foley was warned for a ruck infringement, Folau was shown a yellow card for slowing the Rebels at the breakdown.

He walked back to the wing, not realising the yellow card meant he had been sin-binned.

REBELS V WARATAHS

Nick Phipps spins the ball out to James O'Connor playing at five-eighth. Picture: Richard Jupe Source: The Mercury

The Rebels scored on his vacated wing minutes later through Tom English.

The Waratahs held on for an eight-point win they clearly deserved after scoring four tries to two.

Second-rower Pete Samu and Cam Crawford also scored for the Waratahs.

In a four-quarter game, the Rebels led 6-5 at the first break following two penalty goals from James O'Connor.

The Waratahs led 12-11 at halftime after Crawford's second quarter try.

NSW flanker AJ Gilbert was named man of the match, but it was Folau who got the loudest cheers for his stunning performance.

Cheika said Folau will again move between fullback and wing for their next trial against the Auckland Blues in New Zealand this Saturday.

NSW WARATAHS 24 (Israel Folau 2, Cam Crawford, Pete Samu tries; Brendan McKibbon, Bernard Foley cons) bt MELBOURNE REBELS 16 (Ged Robinson, Tom English tries; James O'Connor 2 pens) at North Hobart Oval. Crowd: 9751
    #itaintweaktospeak

I watched the highlights on Fox & Izzy looks like he'll star in his new code scoring 2 tries one off a couple of brilliant steps & setting up another when he should've had scored his 3rd.

It was very funny when he got shown a yellow card & he just went back in the line before the ref said u have to get off

There is already talk of him playing for the Wallabies this year , if so it really shows the skill level in League is far superior to Union.

Did anyone else catch James Oconner with his hair in "Corn Rolls"
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Did anyone else catch James Oconner with his hair in "Corn Rolls"
    Yeah, it threw me at first.

Makes one wonder to what he got up to during the off season.

If it affects his game for the worse when he comes up against The Reds, I'm all for it.