Default Luke Bailey wants new Titans deal

TITANS pack leader Luke Bailey is chasing a contract extension in the hope of landing a maiden premiership before he retires.

The 33-year-old prop is on the mend from a ruptured achilles tendon and is likely to make his first appearance of the year in the Gold Coast's final pre-season trial against North Queensland in Mackay on February 23.

"Bull" Bailey, off contract at the end of this year, was in stellar form early in 2012 only for a painful rib injury to halt his momentum before he snapped his achilles against the Storm in round 23.

It has been nearly six months since he underwent surgery to repair the tendon and the former NSW prop is certain he can go around in 2014.

"I'm loving training. I had a bit of a break and freshened up a little bit and I'd like to get another year out," he said.

"The club wants to see me play first, which is common sense, (but) I'd like to have another hit-out next year."

Injuries seem the only obstacle for Bailey, whose performances have not waned in recent years.

He is the oldest player at the club but one of the fittest, making some of his younger teammates look sluggish at training.

It is his desire to win a premiership that has the former Dragon craving more years in the NRL.

"Each year for me is probably more important," he said.

"I want to try to get a grand final. Last year was frustrating getting the injury three games out (from the finals).

"It's motivation for the following year."

Bailey has lead the Titans front row since the club's formation in 2007 but is now supported by Nate Myles and Luke Douglas.

Despite the quality around him, the veteran prop said he did not plan on playing a lesser role this year.

"I still really enjoy that sort of role, playing as long as I can and staying on the field as long as I can," he said.

"It's probably going to be difficult with the calibre of players we have now. Carty (coach John Cartwright) hasn't asked me about doing anything different.

"He wants me to do what I've been doing."

Bailey is confident of being fit for the round 1 clash against the Sharks in Cronulla but said he wouldn't rush back.

"I wouldn't risk it. We've got the team now and the players to not risk it and push it," he said.

"It's probably wise to look after it. If I'm not right I won't play.

"It's sort of funny because I've had a bit of tendonitis in the left one from overcompensating. That's been the problem for the past couple of weeks.

"It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I get full confidence but so far, so good."

To me its a no Brainer...Give him the extra year...

If he wants to play on then he will get another contract , he will always be the player that the rest of the squad looks up to.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    he will always be the player that the rest of the squad looks up to.
    and the supporters ... sign him now.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Agree to both Titanic and Titan Petes comments. I strongly believe that Luke Bailey is the type of player that the Younger Guys in the team will play for and supporters will bet behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titans View Post
    To me its a no Brainer...Give him the extra year...
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    If he wants to play on then he will get another contract , he will always be the player that the rest of the squad looks up to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    and the supporters ... sign him now.
    Agree to both Titanic and Titan Petes comments. I strongly believe that Luke Bailey is the type of player that the Younger Guys in the team will play for and supporters will bet behind.
    I agree with you all, he is and always has been the backbone of the club. Even if he can't go round next year for any reason, show him the loyalty he has shown you. I am sure the club has every intention of keeping him around as a club ambassador after his retirement from 1st grade.

ps, Bayside Titans, what odds are you backing the Bull in at?
    and supporters will bet behind.

Let the Bull go out on his terms.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Yep I agree, give him another year. Even if he doesn't continue as a starting front rower I reckon he would be a great off the bench.

Let him do the pre-season, and see how he shapes up!

Nah.. As with everyone else's sentiments give him another year on the paddock, and create a position within the Club, when does eventually hang 'em up..

Yeah for sure, it is a no brainer give him another year or 2.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

C-Whiz. Could not agree more and I would only 2:1 Odds for Bull getting around in Titan Colours again next year. This is because I believe he demonstrates a standard that all current and potential players must live up too.

As far as life after Footy, I have always held the View that it is essential that Bull has an " Ambassador " role at the Club. To try and foster and create a successful culture at the club going forward , we need a player like Bull to full fill the Ambassador role like other Successful sporting Organisations.