Default We'll be the best code in Australia, says new NRL boss David Smith

We'll be the best code in Australia, says new NRL boss David Smith

New NRL CEO David Smith at ANZ Stadium on Thursday. Source: The Sunday Telegraph

NEW NRL boss David Smith offers his first one-on-one interview with Sunday Telegraph Sports Editor David Riccio. He talks about his goals, John Grant and growing the game

You start next Friday, what's the first thing you will do as NRL CEO?

I want to hit the ground running, it's about getting familiar with the role. But the very first thing I want to do is pick up the phone to the players.

I've already spoken to Cameron Smith.

I had a good laugh with Cameron, especially after the Cameron Smith question that I got (when I first took the job). We had a joke about that.

I've watched Cameron play in a Melbourne Storm jersey for a long time, so it was all a bit of a laugh really.

I was chatting to Wayne Pearce and he said: "We didn't hire you as a selector and it's probably just as well."

I value and respect what they have to say. Cameron Smith is a great leader on the field and a great leader off the field, and a good bloke. I'm going to do a bit more of that with Paul Gallen and the likes.

A fair bit was made of the fact that you said you didn't know who Cameron Smith was. Could you see how the fans would make fun of that? Do you have a sense of humour?

Absolutely, I can and yes I have a sense of humour. I was more annoyed at myself really.

At that moment I couldn't have remembered my mother's name. I have had lot of jokes since from very senior people in Australia. I look forward to working with Cameron and the other senior players closely.

What do your mates at Lloyd International say about your career change?

I said this at the initial press conference, I reckon I've got the best job in Australia, so there's a level of envy from the people I worked with in Australia. They're league tragics, so I've already had a mixture of advice. This is just an amazing opportunity to be part of something that is so important to people.

It has opportunity written all over it. The change that has happened over the past nine months is just so exciting.

You live in the eastern suburbs, does that mean you're a Roosters fan?

I have been to Roosters games, but I don't think I'm allowed to show any allegiance. I've watched a number of teams with respect.

The Melbourne Storm have done a wonderful job, I watched the 2012 highlights of Ben Barba the other day. The way he was able to perform last year was amazing.

When will you make contact with every club and how will you do it?

The clubs are crucial stakeholders. I want to have a conversation with all the chief executives and chairmen very soon. I'll start with a telephone call to make contact and what I'd like to do is meet not only them, but the teams, the senior players and boards face-to-face. I want them to know me, but I also want to listen.

What are the biggest issues facing the game?

I understand you asking that question, but I just can't comment on the big issues on the game and specifics. What I will say is that the game has enormous potential because of the last 12 months, where we've seen the appointment of the commission. But equally you look at the engagement level of our fans - 12 million watched State of Origin, we've got over a million-and-a-half boys and girls having an experience in rugby league.

What it says is we're starting from a strong base. There is nothing I've seen from any other code that can match the competitiveness of rugby league. Since 1998, I think 13 of the 16 teams have reached the grand final and every team has been in the finals the past four years. That's a massive strength.

How many times have you spoken to John Grant since you were announced as the new CEO?

Not that often to be honest. Maybe once a week, if that. I spoke to John this week for the first time in 10 days. I've spoken to all the commissioners and to me that's really important. That's my board. And it's really important they're aligned with the CEO and likewise the CEO with the board.

Who will be running the game, Dave Smith or John Grant?

I'm chief executive and I have whole of game responsibilities. John's the chairman and has done a fabulous job, as have all the commissioners, with the progress they've made since they've been formed. It's an appropriate governance structure and one you'd expect to see in any organisation. They want a strong CEO, hopefully I can bring a strong set of leadership skills. It's a healthy relationship, but the responsibility of rugby league is down to me.

Will we see you making the day-to-day football decisions?

As a chief executive you expect to be counted when you need to be and I will absolutely do that.

I have all the credentials to do that, but as far as the trivial details about every single decision, I think it's about using the capabilities that surround you. You won't be hearing everything from

Dave Smith, but I will be there when it matters.

Rugby League is very much a family. How do you think it will be perceived having an outsider coming in to run the game?

So far the people that I've met, within that family, have been incredibly welcoming.

I certainly feel like there's massive support for somebody with my skills.

My motives are absolutely pure.

I want this job because I want to be part of it, because I can see the opportunities. I want to help make the family a bigger family. I want to get more people from cradle to grave, be it businessmen, sponsors, women and children.

You've worked around the world and watched different sports. Is international rugby league where it should be?

Absolutely.

The importance of rugby league to Australians has to be the crucial ingredient to growing the game internationally.

You would be well aware of the threat of AFL, while certainly in Western Sydney the A-League are kicking goals with the birth of the Wanderers. What's your plan to combat that challenge?

I can understand why there's a comparison made, but I think we're poised in such a wonderful POSITION, probably like no other in terms of the opportunity.

Of course, as far as the other codes go, you watch how they organise themselves, but the key priority has to be our objectives and bringing our strategic plan to life.

How do you handle criticism and are you prepared for that?

Ultimately we want more feedback from our fans and key stakeholders about ways to make our game better. We want to hear about that. To me, that's a really constructive dynamic, especially with digital media.

We'll get more of that, not less of it. Sometimes it can get tough, but feedback is a mechanism to ensure you're driving the thing forward and you're listening to what people have to say. That's not to say you're going to keep everybody happy, that's impossible.

I welcome it.

It's part and parcel of the job.

You'd be aware Russell Crowe's ownership of Souths has ceased and we continue to hear Nathan Tinkler in Newcastle is on the brink. How viable is private ownership in rugby league?

Other than reading the (Telegraph), I don't know the SPECIFICS on those issues.

But on private ownership, I think it has worked very effectively to this point, so I couldn't say it's anything you'd stop doing. It's proven to be viable in most circumstances.

Is rugby league the No. 1 sport in Australia?

Yes. It matters to millions of people and I think the opportunity is to grow this thing INTO the best it can be, which is the No. 1 code. I want to keep it that way and develop this great game into something we're all really proud to be a part of, be it as an administrator, sponsor, fan, parent or young boy or girl who plays rugby league.

I wish you all the best.

Thank you.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/wel...-1226562570490
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 27-01-13 at 12:36 AM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I wish him all the best with what will be a challenging and hopefully for him a rewarding role...with regards to being the No. 1 code in Australia...after travelling around Australia in 2010 this will be a gigantic task and in my opinion not possible in his tenure let alone my lifetime. AFL is firmly entrenched in the vast majority of Australia.

I am hopeful that his background will improve the leadership of our game. This article didn't do much to reinforce that though. There were too many evasions, inconsistencies and errors ... I'm with you Dave Smith but watching carefully.

Of course Rugby League is the #1 sport in Australia. Everybody is entitled to their opinion but it is for me and that's what really matters to me.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I've done a lot of travel around Australia (and the world) and Rugby League is definitely the number sport in Australia. Beats all other competitors in everything other than crowds and we are starting to see the reward of that under independence. AFL is bigger than NRL, but Rugby League is definitely bigger than Australian Football.

Every time this guy talks, I'm impressed. Gotta love him so far but I will definitely be watching closely as well... remembering he hasn't even started yet!

Once we tap into touch and tag and ally with them better.

Once we bring in more social and recreation grades and competitions.

Once we have more Masters and Womens Rugby League.

It will give our game a massive boost.

We are lucky to have an amazing interstate series and blessed to have an international stage.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER