Default Aidan Sezer has stars in his eyes

AIDAN Sezer was living the dream of most Bankstown boys.

The proud Muslim was in Canterbury's famed junior system and playing first grade for his cherished club was on the horizon.

But the classy pivot decided to make a move few would have been brave enough to make.

He left his childhood town for the glitz, glamour and uncertainty of the Gold Coast.

With high school sweetheart Raziye by his side, the newlywed couple arrived at Robina in November, 2011.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Sezer is now the linchpin of the Gold Coast Titans playmaking division.

He will attend the Emerging Blues Origin camp this weekend and was yesterday named on the bench in the Indigenous team for next month's All Stars match.

The son of Turkish father Yucel and Aboriginal mother Tanya is making a name for himself, and it's not in Bulldogs colours.

"I couldn't have predicted this 12 months ago. It's been a big 12 months and I couldn't ask for anything more," he said.

"I'm a very proud indigenous person. The heritage comes from my mother's side and it's something not many people know about me.

"Everyone takes me for my Turkish side but it's something I'm proud of and it's going to be great to represent the indigenous people and my family."

Sezer's rise to one of rugby league's showpiece events isn't just a token gesture.

His 18 NRL matches have seen him become one of the game's most exciting five-eighth talents and he will be entrusted with supporting stars Johnathan Thurston and Scott Prince for the Indigenous team.

But Sezer isn't just an outstanding talent.

Dig deeper and there's a respectful 21-year-old intent on carving a name for himself.

He is one of few Muslim players in the NRL and while he doesn't practice the faith as stringently as others he is proud of his roots.

"It doesn't really affect my football. It's something I feel proud of," he said.

"It's never been a hurdle for me or anything like that."

Sezer's standout debut season led to a nomination for the Dally M rookie of the year award but he knows 2013 will be tougher.

Without Prince to fall back on, Sezer will be the Titans' go-to man. Much of their hopes rest on his shoulders.

"It (2012) was a big learning curve for me. I didn't expect to have the season I did but it's all behind me now," he said.

"I'm very happy with what I did last year but you're only as good as your last game. That's all that matters."

The Titans want Sezer to be one of their leaders for many years to come.

He recently inked a two-year contract extension, taking him to the end of 2015. He said it was an easy decision.

"The club has stuck by me since day one so I've got to repay that faith," he said.

Titans coach John Cartwright is still yet to publicly declare where Sezer will play this year.

He has the talent and personality to shift to halfback but says he is a natural five-eighth.

"I've been a five-eighth all my life. These days it's pretty much the same job," he said. "Halfbacks have more control over the team but five-eighth opens you up a bit more to run and that's something I'm a bit more comfortable with."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...st-titans.html

Good Article. Don't see much of Aidan speaking to the media but his Indigenous All Stars selection has had him doing a lot of it. Well spoken guy too. Found this article particularly interesting as he highlights his preference to play five eighth.

Smile

Good luck aiden hope he carves them up!

I luv how Sezer is making an impression on leagues big men ie Craig Bellamy

There was the attitude.

The solid build. The crisp pass. The sage head in cool control of the backline.

The playmaker in former Raiders pivot Bellamy grinned, flashing a look that screamed: 'This kid has got something'.
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1226579037054
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Sezer View Post
    I luv how Sezer is making an impression on leagues big men ie Craig Bellamy

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1226579037054
    What did Bellamy say about him?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    What did Bellamy say about him?
    Not a direct quote but it said in the article that Bellamy said Sezer has the goods. Also actions speak louder than words. Bellamy was 'grinning' (something i dont see too often from him) when watching Sezer play implying in his facial expression that "the kid has got something".

That's a hell of a stretch. It seems we're happy for the media to jump to conclusions when it has a postive outcome.

Everyone would be less than impressed if a facial expression was reported as indicating drug use or similar.

Here's hoping Sezer makes good things happen this year though
    I love Aiden Sezer so much I made his profile pic my avatar.

Well during his junior years Sezer was earmaked as another Thurston. Recently Greg Bird said Albert Kelly's style of play is similar to JT's. Im happy that we have two Thurston's in the team.