Page 5 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast

Mini Barba signs with Gold Coast Titans

RSS
    AAP Mon, Dec 10, 2012 - 2:46 PM

The 21-year-old brother of Canterbury's Dally M medal winner Ben Barba has signed to play for NRL rivals Gold COast.

Marmin Barba, who like his talented older brother is capable of playing in the halves and at fullback, signed a two-year deal after playing in Parramatta's Toyota Cup team this season.

The youngster, who is recovering from a knee reconstruction suffered in early 2012, was also diagnosed with lymphoma cancer in his groin in 2010.

The Titans farewelled co-captain and star halfback Scott Prince last month, releasing him from the final year of his contract to play with local rivals Brisbane, but chief executive David May said Barba's signing was more to do with the club's long-term plans than any quick fix he might offer in 2013.

"It's probably a decision that is more about the future than necessarily today," May said in a statement.

"He'll train with us and hopefully prove what he's got.

"It's an investment in the future so it's great to have someone as exciting as him around the club.

"We wanted to give him a chance and two years really is probably a window that you want to give somebody of his age the opportunity to show what they can do."

May said Barba had serious potential.

"Marmin is a real prospect, he's obviously got a great pedigree and by all accounts is one of the bright young future stars of the game," May said.
    #itaintweaktospeak

As I said to Pete the other day. I havent seen this amount of activity and announcements since 2006/2007! Exciting times.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Zillman better be hoping he starts 2013 in form or else there's going to be a lot of pressure on him to maintain his spot.

It's exciting having all this youth brought into the team. Russell, O'Dare, Kelly, Barba, Ioane..future's looking promising.

Searle has been a busy boy, looks like he is trying to make up for something
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Yeah it is exciting, but I think it shows that a) our squad management is getting better, and b) players still want to play here and come here.

If Sezer bailed after 10 games and we lost mead, we lose some credibility.

To retain them as we'll as sign a hot young prospect gives others confidence to come here.

I'm excited to say the least. One more signature on my jersey Woot Woot!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    Yeah it is exciting, but I think it shows that a) our squad management is getting better, and b) players still want to play here and come here.

If Sezer bailed after 10 games and we lost mead, we lose some credibility.

To retain them as we'll as sign a hot young prospect gives others confidence to come here.

I'm excited to say the least. One more signature on my jersey Woot Woot!
    Hahaha just quietly that was one of my first thoughts too mate

Very active few months within the Titans, good to see, Really looking forward to next season now.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

There is no two ways about it BARBA and KELLY are talented, however they have proven to be turnstyles when it comes to defence. My concern is that they are way to light in stature and the rigours of First grade will find them out physically. For far too long we have had to protect players in the backline due to their lack of defensive strength. MANLY and the DOGS showed that you need a half who can tackle.
    I dont mean to rain on those two players parade, top depth signings for sure. Defensively the jury is still out and we will have to wait and see.

Defense is attitude and technique

Both can be taught.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    Defense is attitude and technique

Both can be taught.
    Dramatic. I like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Dad View Post
    There is no two ways about it BARBA and KELLY are talented, however they have proven to be turnstyles when it comes to defence. My concern is that they are way to light in stature and the rigours of First grade will find them out physically. For far too long we have had to protect players in the backline due to their lack of defensive strength. MANLY and the DOGS showed that you need a half who can tackle.
    I dont mean to rain on those two players parade, top depth signings for sure. Defensively the jury is still out and we will have to wait and see.
    Ben Barba went from probably not being able to get a feed 2 years ago to Dally M player of the year....

I thought we let a "Turnstile" go about 6 weeks ago
    #itaintweaktospeak

On other squad news, tamou stayed with cowboys, folau went to rah rah.... Eels will be cashed up and throwing the kitchen sink at Birdman.

Birdman don't do it... What sort of golf courses are u going to find in parramatta?

Marmin is listed as the lightest player in the NRL at 69kg on Zerotackle. Is this accurate?

Very excited to hear the news last night that Barba has signed with the Titans. Like his older brother he is a fullback more so than a halve. Great to see him get over his cancer situation. He needs to add a few more kilos and take a page out of his brother's book and improve his defense, however he has more natural talent than Ben.

Seems the younger these Barba's get the more natural talent they have. Marmim > Ben > Aaron.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Marmin is listed as the lightest player in the NRL at 69kg on Zerotackle. Is this accurate?
    That was his playing weight in 2012. I could be wrong but I think it may have had something to do with the poor kid having cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by GC_Titans_Fan View Post
    Very excited to hear the news last night that Barba has signed with the Titans. Like his older brother he is a fullback more so than a halve. Great to see him get over his cancer situation. He needs to add a few more kilos and take a page out of his brother's book and improve his defense, however he has more natural talent than Ben.

Seems the younger these Barba's get the more natural talent they have. Marmim > Ben > Aaron.

That was his playing weight in 2012. I could be wrong but I think it may have had something to do with the poor kid having cancer.

Amazing that he overcame that. I am looking forward to seeing him get an off season under his belt.

Everyone should start throwing out lineups with these new additions. Mixing together different combinations is always interesting.

Yeah, I'm bored.