Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default O'Dare on track for NRL start with Titans

Emma Greenwood | 12:01am January 3, 2013

MARK O'Dare is not in the Titans' top 17 players but if his pre-season is anything to go by, the rugby convert will race up that list at an almighty pace.

With a sub-11sec 100m to his name and a work ethic that would put most professional athletes to shame, O'Dare is a good bet to win an NRL start at some stage this season.

While most of his teammates were relaxing over the Christmas-New Year period, recovering from what many rate as the most brutal pre-season campaign of their careers, O'Dare headed to Sydney to link with sprint guru Roger Fabri.

The 21-year-old's Youtube highlights reel showcasing blistering pace, stepping ability and safety under the high ball, caught the attention of the Titans in the off-season, with the former Sydney University and Gordon Rugby Club player offered a train and trial contract.

And he is determined to leave no stone unturned in his bid to return to the code he played as a junior.

So as his teammates grabbed the chance for a few days' break over Christmas, O'Dare worked with Fabri to rediscover his explosive speed ahead of the pre-season trials that will determine whether he is offered an NRL contract.

"It's been really tough. I spoke to some of the other boys and they're relaxing and recovering with family," O'Dare said after completing his final session with Fabri yesterday.

"But I think it's a good opportunity for me to come down and train with Roger and get my speed back up because it's a crucial part for me that helps me with my game."

O'Dare registered a 10.98sec 100m as a schoolboy but after adding about 6kg of muscle through football training, he believes his times would now have slowed into the low 11sec range.

Explosive speed and the ability to break tackles are what is needed in the NRL though and O'Dare and Fabri, who also worked with Sydney Roosters players including Shaun Kenny-Dowall and Mitchell Pearce over the break, have poured in work over 20-30m as well as plyometric work and medicine ball workouts to have the fullback at his best.

While many of the Titans have the ability to work their way into the season, O'Dare needs to be at his best early to show he deserves to stay.

"As I look at it, I've only got one opportunity, so I don't want to hold anything back and say that I didn't do this, or I didn't train hard enough," he said.

"The first trial's against the Warriors (February 9) and that's going to be basically make or break for me.

"I've got to give it everything I can and really show what I can do to convince Carty (head coach John Cartwright) to keep me there rather than coming back to the Queensland Cup.

"I don't want to leave any stone unturned."

"I want to cover all areas and try and make myself a rounded, complete footballer rather than not doing things that are going to be beneficial in the long run."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Great to hear about the guy going beyond the Titans with his training & i'm really looking forward to watching where he can take himself this season , hopefully in the starting 13
    #itaintweaktospeak

He looks like a real hot prospect. I have the need for speed.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Junior Titan

I also cannot wait until kick off to see what this amazing athlete can produce.His attitude is amazing by all reports Carty trained them harder than any other side he has trained and this young fella is doing sprint training in the blazing sun.V very impressive indeed only time will tell to see if he is made of the right stuff.

When was the last time Champion said or did anything to show he deserves to start ahead of O'Dare? Sure Idris had a quiet 2012 but he has a lot more potential and runs on the board at rep level. I'd like to see O'Dare given a real chance

Quote Originally Posted by mup23 View Post
    When was the last time Champion said or did anything to show he deserves to start ahead of O'Dare? Sure Idris had a quiet 2012 but he has a lot more potential and runs on the board at rep level. I'd like to see O'Dare given a real chance
    Champs is miles ahead of Odare, his foot injury last year set him back but it was clear with only a handful of games how good of a centre he is.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by mup23 View Post
    Mate I am with you love to see the young bloke get a red hot go.

O'Dare certainly has wooed the media without any runs on the board ... good luck to him at left centre, Champion on the right and Idris off the bench.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Psyched for O'Dare. I think he'll make it into the starting 13 at some point this year, but i wouldn't have him start ahead of champion regardless of how he goes in the trials.

I've never been Champion's biggest fan (...how good was that spray Bellamy gave him from the coaches box when he was at the storm...), but imo, he's the best genuine centre we've got.

The article suggests O'dare's favored position is fullback. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up there before the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    O'Dare certainly has wooed the media without any runs on the board ... good luck to him at left centre, Champion on the right and Idris off the bench.
    Agree with everything even Idris on the bench. Champs with the little time he had showed a bit more than what Idris did last yr
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Idris off the bench is the way to go imo. O'Dare and Champion in the centres would be good. Not sure how O'Dare's passing game is though.
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Sezer View Post
    Idris off the bench is the way to go imo. O'Dare and Champion in the centres would be good. Not sure how O'Dare's passing game is though.
    If he can pass and run like Steve Renouf - that'll do. If he can make the opposition winger want to come in to assist his centre it should open things up for Gordon or Mead. Would love to see some new blood pushing for first grade, it is what will make us great.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Quote Originally Posted by Supergoose View Post
    If he can pass and run like Steve Renouf - that'll do. If he can make the opposition winger want to come in to assist his centre it should open things up for Gordon or Mead. Would love to see some new blood pushing for first grade, it is what will make us great.
    Renouf had Kevin Walters inside him.

O'Dare is a talented prospect and I'm a fan of his work ethic but he is not ahead of Mead,Gordan let alone Michaels for a spot on the wing.
    He's only a winger if he was to play 1st grade, maybe FB but definitely not Center.
    He would be outclassed if he come across the likes of Morris or Lyon and any decent center. Why some people have penciled him in over others based on his highlights of shredding opposition in park footy confuses me.

Lets see how he goes in the trials and Qcup as a Winger. If he goes good then we can debate where he'll play in the 17.

Yeah Mole, I sort of agree but our left side attack has been woeful and I would offer Parra's novice left centre as an example of what a rookie can do if he has talent and gets the ball. Michaels just doesn't do it for me at all. O'Dare is an unknown prospect but if he can play half as well as he talk himself up then we have a winner.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.