Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Last week when I looked at the team line-ups against each other, I thought "wow, there are some really good match-ups here", and this week I think, "Wow, we have it over them in every position".

However, I know not to underestimate the Panthers at home, out in that hot Western Sydney heat with a fanatical home crowd, as Souths found out last week.

Can still hold them to nil.

This is a strange game... we are facing a team with the most linebreaks in the comp, which has led to scoring the 3rd most tries.

Most missed tackles in the comp so it would seem they have been facing poor defensive teams yet strong attacking teams. Luke walsh is the biggest offender so get big dave or jama to run at him from the get go. Will eventually miss a few which would lead to help-defense... pop it up for zillman and we should have an easy try since panthers also have the most linebreaks conceded.

Seems as if, if we play our defense we should win comfortably but panthers are strong on attack so you can take that for granted. Get Nate who is 3rd for hit-ups to take it hard to them and we should break through relatively easily.

My two cents

They look pretty good on paper and when Souffs let them back in last weekend they didn't lie down either. We can expect a lot more of the same and for some reason we seem to clock-off when we go there. Expect another arm wrestle.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Arrrgh just read in the paper Micheals' a shoe in for Takairangi centre spot... I sense a few tries are coming from that side of the field from the panthers!!

Confidence for this game has sunk! Carty wtf!

Quote Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
    Arrrgh just read in the paper Micheals' a shoe in for Takairangi centre spot...
    i still don't know if this is all just a gee-up...

Quote Originally Posted by The Gladiator View Post
    This is a strange game... we are facing a team with the most linebreaks in the comp, which has led to scoring the 3rd most tries.

My two cents
    yeah, a lot of good stats there, but Souths helped them look good, and they have had a few good scorelines. Makes them look better than they probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    They look pretty good on paper and when Souffs let them back in last weekend they didn't lie down either. We can expect a lot more of the same and for some reason we seem to clock-off when we go there. Expect another arm wrestle.
    Yeah, Souths gave them a sniff, and they fired up. We have to rely on the defence we have been dishing out. I see this as pretty similar to the Sharks game, without all the Sharks passion. A lot of heavy hitting early, should be a good old forward battle, nothing worse than how we dominated Manly though. Get some early points, take away their desire, defend strongly and don't give them a sniff. The crowd is the biggest concern. We can take them away with some quick points too.

An early lead, and we can be 13+. That's where my money will be.

Panthers v Titans preview

RSS
    Nicholas Janzen, NRL.com Wed, Mar 27, 2013 - 4:00 PM

Panthers v Titans
    Centrebet Stadium
    Sunday 3pm

The NRL?s big improvers in 2013 have it all to play for on Sunday afternoon as they clash in a match that will ultimately either boost their finals credentials or have experts predicting another slide down the premiership ladder.

Last year, the Panthers and the Titans were two of the NRL?s biggest disappointments. Penrith finishing 15th and the Gold Coast 11th in a year both teams? supporters are better off forgetting? but so far this year there?s plenty of reason for optimism.

In three games this season, the Panthers have punished the Raiders, and pushed title contenders the Wests Tigers and South Sydney for most of the match. Signs are emerging that Ivan Cleary?s new-look team is developing a more determined fighting spirit in 2013.

The Titans, meanwhile, are also on the rise after their annus horribilis in 2012 that ultimately had the club in the headlines at various stages of the season for all the wrong reasons. This year, though, John Cartwright?s men look to have turned a corner on and off the field. Under the new on-field leadership of co-captains Nate Myles and Greg Bird, the Titans have emerged as arguably the competition?s title threat that no-one saw coming. With one of the NRL?s toughest forward packs, the Gold Coast have already pushed the Sharks the full 80, dominated the Raiders and stunned the Sea Eagles in just three rounds.

For the Panthers, coach Ivan Cleary has named a very similar side to the one that played South Sydney last Sunday. Cameron Ciraldo has been slated to start at lock with Nathan Smith named on a six-man bench that also includes Matt Robinson.

The Titans, meanwhile, have named both lock Ashley Harrison (concussion) and centre Brad Takairangi (hamstring) in the starting side despite suffering injuries in last weekend?s win over Manly, with utility Luke O?Dwyer and centre/winger Steve Michaels included on an extended six-man bench. If Harrison and Takairangi are both cleared to play, it will mark the fourth week in a row that the Titans have been able to field the same 17-man squad.

Watch Out Panthers: The Titans? new-look attacking department is just starting to gel ? and the signs are promising for coach Cartwright. Following the departure of long-term playmaker Scott Prince, ?Carty? handed journeyman playmaker Albert Kelly the No.7 jersey? and it?s worked a treat so far in 2013. Alongside Aidan Sezer, ?AK? is starting to weave his magic ? and opponents are starting to realise why he?s been so highly regarded. Behind a big, powerful and uncompromising forward pack, there are plenty of opportunities for Kelly and Sezer to shine ? and so far in 2013 they?ve already contributed four try assists, two line-breaks, two tries and a line-break assist. And they?re just getting started; don?t forget last week the Rabbitohs put eight tries on the Panthers ? could this be the week the Titans duo hit top gear?

Watch Out Titans: The pushover Panthers are gone. Last year Penrith lost nine matches by 14 points or more ? this year they?re a more determined, more committed and more competitive bunch and their results have supported this. They belted the Raiders in Round 1 (32-10) before a 10-point loss to the Wests Tigers and a 12-point loss to the Rabbitohs in games that could?ve ended in blowouts. Cleary has a dedicated bunch, and the likes of Sika Manu, James Segeyaro and Wes Naiqama have shown the team will be more than competitive this season. They?re an exciting bunch, too ? last week Penrith recorded 10 line-breaks against Souths, the most by any team in 2013.

Plays To Watch: James Segeyaro scheming from dummy-half ? in three games he?s already scored two tries and cracked or helped to crack the defence three times; Aidan Sezer?s lethal left foot delivering laser-like aerial opportunities for wingers David Mead and Kevin Gordon; Sika Manu chancing his arm and taking on the Titans close to their line (he?s scored three tries in as many matches for his new club in 2013? after scoring just three all last season!); Luke Walsh spinning the Steeden wide and early to give his on-song outside men attacking raids early in the set.

Key Match-Up: McKendry and Grant v Douglas and Myles. The big boppers in the middle third of the field lay the platform for their teams ? and their progress (or lack thereof) will influence what their outside men are capable of achieving in this clash. With three particularly young halves (Panther Tom Humble and Titans Sezer and Kelly), the prop-forwards battle is going to prove crucial.

So far this season Grant (116 metres per game) and McKendry (123 metres per game) have done an admirable job, but how will they fare against the experience and class of Myles (120 metres per game) and Douglas (78 metres per game)? The Titans possess a world-class forward pack, with Bailey, Bird, Harrison and Taylor other players who could wreak havoc if the Panthers? forwards don?t lay a solid foundation.

Where It Will Be Won: Defence v attack. The Titans are a gritty defensive unit while the Panthers have revealed themselves to be a free-flowing, chance-your-arm attacking unit. Scoring points hasn?t been a problem for the Panthers in 2013, crossing for a combined 82 points in their three matches. Conversely the Titans have confirmed they are a team that backs their defence to win matches. In their three matches they have kept their opposition to just 26 points.

Perhaps the make-or-break battle is on the Panthers? right side of the field ? where Wes Naiqama (eight missed tackles, third most by a centre) and David Simmons reside ? where numerous four-pointers have been created but conceded too. When the ball gets to them in attack ? or defence ? expect something to happen!

The History: Played 8; Penrith 4, Gold Coast 3, drawn 1. At Centrebet Stadium, the Panthers hold another slim advantage, winning two of the three clashes.

Match Officials: Referees ? Jason Robinson & Gavin Morris; Sideline Officials ? Ricky MacFarlane & Chris Butler; Video Referees ? Steve Chiddy & Jared Maxwell.

Televised: Channel Nine ? Delayed 4pm; Fox Sports 1 ? Delayed 6pm.

The Way We See It: The Panthers and Titans are much improved teams in 2013, but the Gold Coast are arguably in better form ? and we see that having a positive influence on their performance in this clash. With a bigger, better and more aggressive forward pack, expect their confident young halves to shine once again. The tighter the contest the more likely a Gold Coast victory is, too. They?re proving quality grafters. Titans by six points.

*Statistics: NRL Stats
    #itaintweaktospeak

Humble Panther praises Titans halves
    By Russell Jackson
    AAP
    Thu 28th March, 8:32am

Penrith five-eighth Tom Humble believes there's a touch of Manly's young premiership-winning halves combo in the way Albert Kelly and Aidan Sezer have resurrected the impressive Gold Coast this NRL season.

Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran were the NRL's youngest halves combination when they came together to lead the Sea Eagles to the 2011 premiership, shocking those who felt inexperience would hold them back.

Sezer and Kelly started this season having never played an NRL game together and with just 32 combined matches to their name, but have shown over the opening three rounds they have the potential to carry the Titans back to the finals for the first time since 2010.

That belief culminated in an impressive 16-14 win over the Sea Eagles last round to confirm the Titans as genuine finals hopefuls.

"They are a bit the same as Manly when Cherry-Evans and Foran first played together," Humble told AAP.

"They both had a lot of energy and the older guys fed off their energy and that's probably where the Titans are at right now.

"It's a good formula but we've got a few young blokes too and some good older players and we're ready for whatever comes our way."

But Humble has warned the Titans they won't have it all their own way, saying Penrith have their own spark in dynamic replacement hooker James Segeyaro.

The 24-year-old former Parramatta and Wests Tigers playmaker Humble made his Panthers' debut in last Sunday's 44-32 loss to South Sydney and credited Segeyaro with helping to launch a second half revival which gave the Rabbitohs a scare.

Penrith trailed Souths 34-16 at halftime before getting within two points with just under 10 minutes remaining.

"He's (Segeyaro) one of those young players who brings that energy to the team and that energy is just a spark and he sparks everyone else," Humble said.

"He's a momentum changer and it's always in your favour."

Humble says the Panthers will go into the clash with their spirits high after getting so close to Souths late in the match.

"We'll definitely gain some confidence from pushing them a little bit," he said.

"We just need the belief to be there for 80 minutes and we'll be right because when we were scoring those points in the second half the belief was certainly there."
    #itaintweaktospeak

I have a good feeling about this game. I think our defence will carry the day.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Penrith Panthers v Gold Coast Titans

Centrebet Stadium, Penrith, Sunday 3pm (AEDT)

Last meeting: Round 25 2012 - Panthers 36 bt Titans 22 at Centrebet Stadium
    Head-to-head: Panthers 4 Titans 3
    Referees: Jason Robinson, Gavin Morris
    TV: Delay, Channel 9
    TAB Sportsbet: Titans $1.65 Panthers $2.30
    FootyTab: Panthers +3.5

AAP writes: Gold Coast have been quietly but efficiently going about their business with two wins from their opening three games. However, their record on the road hasn't been great in recent years, and they face a Penrith side that are always competitive at home.

Ivan Cleary's team were gallant in defeat to South Sydney last week and will fancy their chances.

However, the loss of Lachlan Coote for the year robs them of some class in the halves.

Key: Young five-eighth Aidan Sezer has been a revelation for the Titans since moving from the Bulldogs and, along with halfback Albert Kelly, has given John Cartwright a combination that could serve the club well for the future. However, Penrith's huge pack will be a real test for the pair.

PANTHERS: Dean Whare, Josh Mansour, Wes Naiqama, Brad Tighe, David Simmons, Tom Humble, Luke Walsh, Sam McKendry, Kevin Kingston (capt), Tim Grant, Sika Manu, Lewis Brown, Cameron Ciraldo. Interchange: Adam Docker, Nigel Plum, James Segeyaro, Clint Newton, Nathan Smith, Matt Robinson (two to be omitted).

TITANS: William Zillman, Kevin Gordon, Brad Takairangi, Jamal Idris, David Mead, Aidan Sezer, Albert Kelly, Luke Douglas, Matt Srama, Nate Myles, Greg Bird, Ben Ridge, Ashley Harrison. Interchange: Dave Taylor, Luke Bailey, Ryan James, Beau Falloon, Luke O'Dwyer, Steve Michaels (two to be omitted).

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...#ixzz2Omaz7YsY

Michaels out to prove NRL worth to Titans

There's no guarantee he'll play but Gold Coast utility back Steve Michaels says he's ready to tackle Penrith on Sunday.

Michaels, a regular for the Titans in the past two NRL seasons, has found himself left out of all three fixtures so far this year as recruit Brad Takairangi and star Jamal Idris take up the centre's roles.

But Takairangi is battling a hamstring injury ahead of this weekend's trip to the Panthers and Michaels has been placed on standby for the former Sydney Rooster.

Given the Titans have kept a largely settled line-up in their two-win, one-loss start to the season, the former Brisbane player knows he'll have to impress if he does get an opportunity.

"I've got to wait and see how Brad's fitness is but, if I get the call-up, I'm ready to play," Michaels told reporters on Wednesday.

"I'm really keen to get my first run for the year with the boys."

Missing out has been frustrating for Michaels, who has made 40 appearances in the past two seasons for the Titans, but he said coach John Cartwright has kept him in the loop about his situation.

"Carty's been good. He's kept talking to me and letting me know that it doesn't take much for me to get a call-up," he said.

"If one guy goes down, I'll be in there. Hopefully this weekend, I get a call-up."

Being on the sidelines has at least given the 26-year-old a chance to witness his team's impressive start to the year, including a hard-earned 16-14 win over Manly last weekend.

"I was at the game and there was such a good feeling within the team when they got the win over Manly because they're such a tough team but it doesn't mean much if we don't win this week and get some momentum," he said.

"I see Penrith as a real danger game and they put a fair amount of points on Souths last week so we'll be wary of that."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8633380

I'd really like to see Taka out there on the field and fit. He has impressed me so far this year.

Titans rule Harrison out with concussion

Gold Coast forward Ashley Harrison will miss Sunday's NRL clash with Penrith after failing to sufficiently recover from a concussion suffered last week.

Harrison was taken from the field on a stretcher in last week's 16-14 victory over Manly after being left heavily concussed by a late shoulder from Sea Eagles prop Richie Fa'aoso.

Fa'aoso was handed a grade-three dangerous contact charge which was downgraded at a judiciary hearing on Wednesday night.

Now it appears both players will miss just the one week, with the Titans hopeful Queensland Origin representative Harrison will return for their round five clash against Brisbane.

Utility forward Luke O'Dwyer comes into the team in place of Harrison

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8633738

I don't think we lose much with Chalky replacing Harro , he will hold his own & will be out to impress as will Michaels if Taka fails his fitness test.

I'm confident if we can hold the ruck with our defence we'll win it well.
    #itaintweaktospeak

O'Dwyer for Harrison is ok (just) and no matter what we think about Michaels Takairangi needs to fix that injury rather than jeopardize the season.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.