Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

I used to be so proud of our home record, Skilled Park well and truly was a Fortress. And it garnered respect and fear from our rivals.

We need to rebuild its walls. It will be a beautiful thing.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post

"It'd be nice to have a win."
    Hell yeah please!
    Aiming for the title farthest away fan

Injuries add to Canberra's woes

THE Canberra Raiders have lost forwards Joel Thompson and Brett White to injury before Sunday's match against the Gold Coast Titans, but have vowed to ''get back in the papers for the right reasons'' after their tumultuous week.

Having already sacked fullback Josh Dugan and suspended centre Blake Ferguson, the Raiders received another double blow on Saturday when Thompson and White failed fitness tests.

Thompson was ruled out with a shoulder joint injury, while White's comeback game from knee surgery has been delayed at least another week because of a biceps problem.

Joel Edwards will replace Thompson in the starting team, while one player will be omitted from a five-man bench comprising Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, Matt McIlwrick, Mark Nicholls, Jake Foster and Joe Picker.

Amid the upheaval this week, five-eighth Josh McCrone said the Raiders had no excuses and needed to prove last week's dismal effort against the Panthers was an aberration.

''If blokes are worrying about that [Dugan being sacked], they're worrying about the wrong thing,'' McCrone said.

''It's been put to bed already and we've tried to concentrate on [this game].

''We're a bit disappointed with last week's effort, so we're looking at this week as a massive opportunity to show our pre-season has been a good one. It's a chance for us to get back in the papers for the right reasons.''

Raiders coach David Furner admitted getting the two competition points would be the tonic to what has been a difficult week, adding the struggles of last year would serve as a positive.

Furner's position was in question when the Raiders were languishing at the bottom of the ladder, before storming home with a sensational run to make the finals.

''It has been a little bit [distracting], but I've tried to stay focused and so have the team,'' Furner said.

''They learnt a lot about themselves from the adversity last year.''

Reece Robinson will take on Dugan's No.1 jersey, having made the most of his chance when Dugan was injured last year.

His ability to chime into attacking raids and bring his outside men into the game proved a vital spark to the Raiders' end-of-season surge.

Robinson missed last week's loss with a back injury, but showed when he played at fullback in the trial win over the Bulldogs last month he hasn't lost his touch in the custodian role.

''He's an awesome player, you saw what he did last year at fullback,'' McCrone said.

''I don't think we lose too much with him there. He was pretty disappointed he couldn't play last week, so he'll be really good for us.''

The Raiders are wary of a Titans side which looked impressive in pushing the Cronulla Sharks last week before going down 12-10.

New signing Dave Taylor was injected off the bench, but the Maroons monster is likely to be elevated into the starting side for the first time for his new club.

That will present the Raiders with even more headaches as centre Jarrod Croker faces a torrid test stopping Jamal Idris.

''Crokes was pretty solid on him last year and he'll have to be again,'' Furner said.

''I spoke to him yesterday about it. They're big all over the park so we're going to have to be nice and aggressive.''

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugb...#ixzz2NjYE8rKN
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Game day & we look like we'll be playing in around 30 deg so bring the slip slop slap & I'm already feeling sorry for people sitting in the Eastern Stand , I know Shamus can't wait

A depleted Raiders team should be closely watched but I'm very confident of a huge win today
    #itaintweaktospeak

Yeah can't wait!

Taking three friends who don't normally going. Conversion time.

Watching the Roosters attack last night i begin to wonder is attacking with the ball that hard? Our attack is so dismal...
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

New-look Titans set to dazzle Raiders

RSS
    Nicholas Janzen, NRL.com Sun, Mar 17, 2013 - 8:20 AM

Already the Titans have announced their intentions, leading the NRL for offloads.

They?re a rebuilt, refined and re-energised side that coach John Cartwright believes could well prove the NRL entertainers this season. Introducing the new Gold Coast Titans of 2013 ? a team that, led by new halves pairing Aidan Sezer and Albert Kelly and marquee forward signing Dave Taylor, Cartwright believes is bound to keep fans on the edge of their seats the entire year.

Expansive football is going to be the key focus of the Titans? game plan across season 2013, a style that clearly suits the new team members but something that may take an adjustment period for the rest of the squad.

Already the Titans have announced their intentions, leading the NRL for offloads after Round 1 with a whopping 15 delivered against the Sharks last week. Major contributors to that tally included Taylor and Greg Bird with three each, and Albert Kelly and Kevin Gordon who popped two apiece. All up 11 of the 17 players who took to the field managed at least one offload.

?[Halves Sezer and Kelly] were really dangerous [against the Sharks],? coach John Cartwright tells NRL.com. ?We?ve got to adjust to the style ? we?ve got a totally different half this year and we?ve got to adjust to that. A few times there [Kelly] seized on some opportunities and if it was Thurston, you know, Bowen would?ve been there to snap on the try.?

The only coach in the Titans? history says the entertaining yet unstructured style of play his team ? and his recruits ? now offer will prove a huge challenge for opponents as his team gels. His disclaimer, however, is that it would occur only if they respected possession of the football.

?[Fullback William Zillman?s] still getting to know Albert ? [Albert?s] a lot more off the cuff than we?ve had in the past ? but that?s the hardest thing to defend,? Cartwright says.

?The set plays you don?t mind that, you close them down, but the guys who are will-o?-the-wisp who can come up with tries from nothing, to me you can?t defend that. I think that?s the way the game is going.

?As long as we?re winning we?re happy to be called the entertainers. You can?t win any games when you?re turning ball over and in the first half last week we were a bit over 50 per cent? you can?t win against anyone with that sort of completion rate. It?s finding a balance and finding discipline ? in the second half we did it better and there?s something to work on there.

?You?ve got to earn the right [to play expansive football] ? you back them to make the right decisions ? but the pass is not always on. Your decision-making is critical. We were about 50-50 [against Cronulla]. That?s a work in progress. Albert really threatened their line ? I know their big forwards towards the end of the game were wishing he wasn?t going to run.?

Cartwright says there were a large number of positives to take into the Round 2 clash against Canberra at Skilled Park on Sunday afternoon.

?You?re disappointed when you lose ? every loss is like a knife going through the heart ? but there were some really good signs there,? he says.

?I felt for the players, it was always going to be tough going up against Cronulla ? they?re a good side and played semi-finals last year, they?ve bought well and it was an emotional match for them. We pushed them all the way ? I thought our defence was really good. Our cohesion in the first half wasn?t great but in the second half it was much better and we really threatened them.?

Particularly threatening was Rabbitohs recruit Dave Taylor. The behemoth back-rower proved a huge threat on the edges for his new team, particularly as the game neared its conclusion. The Titans know they have a game-breaker on their roster in Taylor ? they just have to discover how to harness his undoubted potential. The 188cm, 123kg Blackwater Crushers junior ran for 106 metres, popped three offloads and broke a tackle in a promising display for his new team. Cartwright is excited about his potential, even after limited opportunities to impress in the off-season.

?I thought it took him a while to get into the game ? we were defending a lot early ? but when he came on in that second stint and we really needed something he came on and played his best football,? Cartwright says.

?We?ve got to work out exactly where he fits in to our line-up ? he had a very limited pre-season through injury ? so what he needs now is football.?

Cartwright stressed the importance of the Round 2 clash against the Raiders at home ? a venue his side struggled to win at last season. In 2012 the Gold Coast won just three of their matches at Skilled Park, a substandard return that kept them out of finals reckoning. An improved effort is required if the Titans are to feature in the finals series this season.

He knows if they continue to throw the ball around and generate opportunities they will trouble the visitors, who conceded the second-most offloads in a season opener (13) when defeated by Penrith.

?[Playing well at home] is everything,? Cartwright admits. ?The boys are very conscious of our fans and the community we live in. We?re all aware the Gold Coast needs a winning rugby league team and rugby league needs a winning Gold Coast team.

?It starts [this] week and if we can mimic that second half [against Cronulla] and improve a few other little areas, we?re going to be hard to beat.?
    #itaintweaktospeak

If anyone wants a free get in i have a spare seat next to me , HIt me up via Messaging will be leaving for ground at about 12 noon
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

NYC game underway

NYC Titans lead 6-4

Lots of dropped ball apparently. Drink breaks every 20mins as well due to the heat

Even better, Raiders have injuries, might look at a 24+ win now. I am considering 30 points on the board a pass mark today. Anything less isn't really good enough IMO. And I also see no reason we can't hold them scoreless, or at least stop them crossing. This should be todays objective. Post 30, keep them out.

Raider are back in fromt through Anthony Milford, who touches down under the posts after a neat grubber. Raiders 8-6 KTC

Kick converted, 10-6 to Raiders NYC

Jamal Forgarty has gone down injured after he looked like scoring. Trainers calling for the stretcher

****, hope hes okay

wow its gonna be hot already onto my third tallie i hope we keep them scoreless too and a large winning maargin