Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Anyone got any ticket sales figures? PAX numbers?
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans v Raiders
    Skilled Park Sunday, 1pm (Qld)

Desperate times have not arrived just yet, but there?s little doubt both the Gold Coast and Canberra are very much aware of the importance of victory in this clash on Sunday.

The Titans and Raiders, both winless in Round 1, struggled early in 2012 and, despite late-season rallies, finished well short of their ultimate goal of claiming the title. This season both teams are looking to improve on this worrying early season statistic (Gold Coast won just two of their opening nine matches while the Raiders won three in the same period) ? and it all starts for one of them in this clash.

Last week the Titans suffered a narrow defeat at the hands of the emotionally charged Cronulla Sharks in front of their home fans in the Shire. There were several promising signs for coach John Cartwright and his troops, however, with new halves pairing Aidan Sezer and Albert Kelly, as well as impact forward David Taylor, all displaying the potential for a brighter and more successful season on the Gold Coast.

The Raiders, meanwhile, were the biggest disappointments of the first round of the 2013 season, with last year?s surprise packets thumped 32-10 by the Panthers in Penrith. For Canberra, they struggled across the park with the team dominated in a number of statistical categories including completion rate, metres gained, missed tackles and errors.

The Titans remain unchanged from the team that suffered defeat against the Sharks last Sunday. The Raiders, meanwhile, are without star outside backs Josh Dugan and Blake Ferguson after the pair were stood down indefinitely by club officials for breaching a number of team policies. This has forced several changes to the Raiders? line-up, with Reece Robinson returning from a back injury to replace Dugan at fullback. Jack Wighton will shift from the wing into the centres to replace Ferguson, with Edrick Lee coming onto the wing after being 18th man last weekend against the Panthers. The only other change for Canberra comes on the bench, with Brett White returning to the Raiders 17 this weekend after playing for feeder club Mounties last Saturday.

Watch Out Titans: Gold Coast were far from awful in their 12-10 defeat in Cronulla but the fact they had to rely on kicks for both of their tries is a concern for Cartwright. So too is the fact their ?spine? is still gelling following the departure of mainstay playmaker Scott Prince, and the arrival of journeyman Kelly.

The Titans averaged only 18.7 points per game last season (equal 11th in the NRL) under the reign of Prince, too ? Carty will be demanding a dominant display from his attacking guns, or there?ll be another poor start to the season to ponder.

The signs are positive, though ? last week the Titans cracked the Sharks on three occasions, conceding just one line-break in the process.

Watch Out Raiders: The Panthers dominated field position ? and metres gained ? last weekend against David Furner?s men. The Raiders ran for just 1042 metres, compared to the Panthers? 1462? and the Titans pose a tougher task with an even-more-powerful forward pack featuring the likes of Nate Myles (105 metres against Cronulla), Greg Bird (150 metres), Ryan James (107 metres) and Daye Taylor (106 metres). For Canberra to prove a chance in this one, it?s up to their forward pack ? think the likes of David Shillington, Dane Tilse, Josh Papalii and Joel Thompson ? to stop their opponents and lead their teammates? charge downfield.

Plays To Watch: Josh McCrone scheming and sliding right across-field, looking for runners; Dave Taylor smashing up the fringes and threatening to run, pass or kick; Josh Papalii, now confirmed as a Raider for 2014 and beyond, asserting himself in physical fashion with and without the ball in centre-field and on the edges; Albert Kelly zigging and zagging up, down and across the field, assessing his opponents and searching for gaps to exploit.

Key Match-Up: The great unknowns against the most under-rated playmaking pair of 2012 ? welcome to the battle of the Titans and Raiders halves. It?s bound to be entertaining, with both combinations likely to back themselves and throw caution to the wind in this one.

John Cartwright told NRL.com last week his new halves pairing is much more ?off the cuff? this year following the inclusion of livewire No.7 Kelly, and that?ll no doubt prove a giant question mark for opposition teams. How do you solve a problem when you don?t know the question? That?s Albert Kelly in a nutshell ? and the dilemma his opponents will face in 2013. Alongside Aidan Sezer ? one of the most exciting young playmakers to make his mark on the NRL last season ? could the Titans have a duo capable of taking the team to the finals?

One playmaking pair that did just that for their lowly rated team in 2012, following yet another injury to Terry Campese, was Raiders halves combination Sam Williams and Josh McCrone. ?Campo? is due back in the coming weeks though, so these two are no doubt extra keen to build their bond and enjoy the experience. (That experience, for one of them at least, could be about to end soon, though.)

Whichever halves pairing gets the one-up in this clash could, quite literally, be signing themselves a winning bonus for this game ? and the stability of a job in their jersey of choice for the remainder of 2013.

Where It Will Be Won: ?Leading from the front? comes no more literal than the jobs co-captains Bird (Titans) and Shillington (Raiders) need to do for their teams.

With exciting ? albeit inexperienced ? backlines, this game will be won or lost by the captains. Whoever gets his forward pack more motivated and more determined to get the job done will prove the winner. Lead the way, skip.

The History: Played 12; Titans 7, Raiders 5. The Gold Coast have a significant advantage at Skilled Park, winning four of their five matches.

Match Officials: Referees ? Adam Devcich & Henry Perenara; Touch Judges ? Michael Wise & Jason Walsh; Video Referees: Chris Ward & Neil Wharton.

Televised: Live ? Fox Sports 1, 2pm (1pm Qld).

The Way We See It: It?s too tough for the Raiders to overcome the losses of Dugan and Ferguson ? as well as a bitterly disappointing performance against the Panthers ? and still be ?up? for this clash against a rejuvenated and remodelled Titans side on the Gold Coast. The Titans will prove too big, too strong and too focused. Gold Coast by 14 points.

*Statistics: NRL Stats

http://www.nrl.com/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

EXCITED, like a kid at Xmas, love home games. Titans by 14
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

I'll be disappointed if we don't score 30 points, and I'd be equally disappointed if we let them cross more than twice, so I am expecting an 18 point difference. At least.

Mead will get a double, Idris for his first of many this year, Taylor again, probably Kelly, Sezer or Srama will sneak one in and then a few randoms.

Im backing mead for a hattrick :d
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

I want to see us get to a position of dominance,and keep our foot on their throat,give them nothing..i hate seeing teams pile on the points and let their opposition in for late tries.

a win x 1 would do me
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I'm expecting a win...I don't care by how much.
    What I would really love to see is our halves create some opportunities for our outside backs...I want to see the Canberra line threatened on every set of six that starts outside our 30 metre.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    a win x 1 would do me
    +1, This is a game that can go two ways for us. Firstly we could give them a good towelling of roughly 18+ and show the loyal fans what the year has in stall for us. Or.
    We could take the Raiders lightly and get our noses rubbed into the sh+=.

Personnally I believe our boys are up for this one and will do us proud.

Cant wait, Footy is upon us. Thank God...

I think we will see a very dominant win with a lot of pain being inflicted on the Raiders , 30+ Mead & Flash to score a double each & big Takarangi to have a blinder.
    #itaintweaktospeak

I just want to break the cycle I am in.
    I have not watched the titans win LIVE since the Warriors Semi in 2010

Yes that's why I'm such a cranky prLck
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    I just want to break the cycle I am in.
    I have not watched the titans win LIVE since the Warriors Semi in 2010

Yes that's why I'm such a cranky prLck
    What the....?! You poor soul. No wonder you are a cranky Coaster! 2010!

Hopefully we will get a win and some beer into you.

Can't believe it's tomorrow. Better pack the flags and find the Members card!

We really have no excuse. We need a win. A strong on. While we lost last week. We got some respect out of it. Our rivals noticed it. Should be ideal conditions for our halves.

Here's hoping all of those that make it to the game tomorrow have a great day 'n the Boys have a win with the first home game of 2013.

It's on at 11am here which means a sleep in, throw the leg over and a footy brunch.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Titans looking to make home a fortress

RSS
    Ed Jackson AAP Sat, Mar 16, 2013 - 1:47 PM

Gold Coast are looking to improve on last year's tally of four wins at home.

There's no place like home, but for the Gold Coast Titans that adage has been anything but a comfort over the past two NRL seasons.

The Titans make their first appearance at Robina Stadium in 2013 on Sunday against Canberra having won just seven matches at their home ground in the past two years.

While last year's tally of four home wins from 12 matches was one better than the paltry three in 2011, coach John Cartwright knows form on the Gold Coast must change for his team.

"We haven't been so good here the past couple of years," Cartwright said on Saturday.

"We're back to scratch, it all starts from tomorrow. We wanna make it a fortress."

The first visitors to the Gold Coast are the Raiders, a club reeling after the mid-week sacking of star fullback Josh Dugan.

It's the second time in as many weeks the Titans have come up against a club in crisis following the opening round loss to Cronulla.

But Cartwright thinks off-field situations shouldn't change results.

"I think that gets beat up in the media a fair bit," he said.

"When you're out there in the heat of the battle and it's 13 on 13, all that stuff goes out the window.

"We've got no excuses where that's concerned. We've had a good build-up and we're ready to go."

A bonus for Cartwright was the news winger Kevin Gordon made it through a training session on Saturday unscathed and will be fit to play.

Gordon suffered a corked thigh in the 12-10 loss to Cronulla but Cartwright was happy with the winger's fitness.

Sunday's match is also the club's 150th fixture since joining the NRL, making it also game 150 as a head coach for Cartwright.

"Probably never thought I would be an NRL coach but to get 150, it's something to probably think about when you retire and give it away," he said.

"It'd be nice to have a win."
    #itaintweaktospeak