Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Looks like a great team, definitely different to what Carty was putting up last year.

Looks like the game plan is 'absorb, then unleash'.

I like it, and respect that carty recognizes ridges value over mini / odwyer.

That being said, if he starts Taylor or bailey, no qualms either.

Good side.

Quote Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post
    Taylor will probably start, and so he should. Talk about knocking the morale out of a marquee signing.
    I think Taylor is better off coming into the game once it has settled and he can unleash his power on an edge. Very pleased to see Ridge get the chance to start. The only question marks are over Takarangi - we really don't know anything about him.

Good looking side.

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    I think Taylor is better off coming into the game once it has settled and he can unleash his power on an edge. Very pleased to see Ridge get the chance to start. The only question marks are over Takarangi - we really don't know anything about him.

Good looking side.
    I think it looks good also, but im excited partly because its fresh and signals that Carty is looking past names, and into form as well as tactic and gameplan, all of which has been absent in years gone by.

One swallow does not make a spring, but sometimes the swallow is pretty and a sign of possible change.

How does everyone feel about Srama sharing the hooking duties and not doing the full 80 minutes? I've been out of nrl over the off-season so I don't know anything about what happened in trials or such. Anyone care to weigh in?

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    How does everyone feel about Srama sharing the hooking duties and not doing the full 80 minutes? I've been out of nrl over the off-season so I don't know anything about what happened in trials or such. Anyone care to weigh in?
    Srama and Falloon shared the hooking job in a few games last year and for me it's the way to go. If Falloon can string a few games together I don't think there is much between them either as players. Matt is still young so I prefer a shared role at this stage to take a bit of pressure off. Beau Falloon from memory scored a few tries coming off the bench last year.

Good looking side, BIG ****in scary if your the opposition.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Probably the best side I've seen the Titans field...The big play is having Bailey on the bench...it will suit his style of game.

I don't know who will be dropped from the bench but I hope Carty keeps the rotation going with his props.

Harrison was always going to be our lock and to make way for Ridge in the team, Myles had to go prop...he plays like a prop anyway.

With two work horses in the back row and lots of props to rotate, I suspect opposition teams will defensively start opening up at the back of each halve..
    They will also find it hard to penetrate the ruck area in attack.

It should be a great forward clash against the Sharks and the ex-Sharkies will be out to prove a point.

No complaints and ten observations:

1. If your job's on the line then you had better take a good look at yourself and our coach seems to have done that ... good on him.

2. I don't like twin hookers so I would plump for O'Dwyer but that is unlikely based on the coaches previous comments and yet it is not the end of the world as Falloon brings his own game to the table.

3. Takairangi may be a gamble but our left has been so problematic over the years that having a ball-player there should be a pleasant change so if we can score three and only leak two then we are better than we've ever been.

4. Taylor playing big minutes off the bench is fine, why not? He averaged 60+ minutes last season.

5. Neither Ridge nor Harrison are impact players so they are well suited to burning up that early defense and then make way for the juggernauts. I think later in the season there will only be one of them starting ... preferably the younger one.

6. Kelly/Sezer ... boom or bust ... I can't wait to watch their seasons develop.

7. If I was Zillman I would be looking over my shoulder.

8. I really hope that Gordon and Mead have both been working on combating taller opponents under the high ball. Don and O'Dare won't be idle in QCup.

9. Fingers crossed that we play smarter ... less unforced errors, less unnecessary penalties and wider attack.

10. This pack won't smash teams out of the park because they are not those sort of players but they are skilled ... if they can gell then the sky is the limit.
    Last edited by Titanic; 05-03-13 at 05:37 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Carney named for round one clash
    Tuesday 5 March 2013 3:51 PM

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan has delivered a couple of selection surprises in his round one team to take on the Titans on Sunday.

As has been touted in recent weeks Todd Carney has been named to make his return from an Achilles tear, however Flanagan?s naming of Ricky Leutele and Matthew Wright in the centres comes as more of a shock and is an indication form has been the deciding factor with the pair having impressed in the trials and throughout the pre-season.

With Leutele and Wright pairing up new recruits Jonathan Wright and Beau Ryan will debut in Sharks colours on the wings, while former Panther Michael Gordon will take his place in the side at fullback.

Of the other high profile new recruits Luke Lewis will start in the back row in the Sharks forward pack, while Chris Heighington has been chosen on a seven-man interchange bench.

Flanagan has named a 20-man squad for the match, with a final decision on his 17-man team to be delayed until later in the week.

The Sharks play the Titans at Sharks Stadium on Sunday, with kickoff at 6.30pm.

Sharks Team List
    Round 1 v Gold Coast Titans

1. Michael Gordon
    2. Jonathan Wright
    3. Ricky Leutele
    4. Matthew Wright
    5. Beau Ryan
    6. Todd Carney
    7. Jeff Robson
    8. Andrew Fifita
    9. Isaac De Gois
    10. Ben Ross
    11. Luke Lewis
    12. Wade Graham
    13. Paul Gallen

Interchange

14. Chris Heighington
    15. Jon Green
    16. John Morris
    17. Anthony Tupou
    18. Jayson Bukuya
    19. Mark Taufua
    20. Chad Townsend

Quote Originally Posted by patskE View Post
    mmmm not a fan of ridge and harrison both starting... would of thought it would of been one or the other
    What you don't like two true 80 minute defensive machines actually playing 80 minutes? It gives a better rotation for the rest of the bench.

We have the Sharks covered in the back line so hopefully & 6 & 7 will feed them the pill while our Big Boys march over the advantage line.

I can't wait it's almost Xmas Morning again
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    We have the Sharks covered in the back line so hopefully & 6 & 7 will feed them the pill while our Big Boys march over the advantage line.

I can't wait it's almost Xmas Morning again
    Bugger Christmas, this is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    Bugger Christmas, this is better.
    So true mate I'm excited about Thursdays game
    #itaintweaktospeak

Junior Titan

Great pack of forwards great interchange bench.I am just shocked about Takarangi in the centres.Postional play in the games I have seen first hand his positional play is vey poor.Against the warriors he was caught in no mans land numerous times.Takarangi would be a good bench player he can cover many positions.Kevin Gordon playing out side Takarangi will have nightmares against quality opposition.if this is the best left centre we have we are in trouble.