Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Default Tough to axe Minichiello: Titans coach

By Ed Jackson AAP Tue, Mar 05, 2013 - 6:31 PM

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright says deciding to omit veteran forward Mark Minichiello from his opening round NRL line-up was one of the toughest selection calls he's had to make.

Minichiello, who holds the record for the most Titans appearances in their six-year history, was left out on Tuesday for Sunday's clash with Cronulla in Sydney with youngsters Ben Ridge and Ryan James getting the nod.

Cartwright said the decision doesn't mark the end of the road for the 31-year-old but was made to reward the best-performing players in the club's pre-season trials.

"It was really tough. There's a few there that didn't deserve not to be there but I had to narrow it down," he said.

"No matter who missed out it was going to be tough."

Three players will debut for the club against the Sharks - Albert Kelly, Dave Taylor and Brad Takairangi.

Kelly has been given the nod to replace departed club captain Scott Prince in the No.7 jersey against the club that sacked him in 2012.

But Cartwright said building Kelly up as Prince's replacement was the last thing his new recruit needed, backing the 21-year-old to shine through his own natural flair.

"He's just got to go out and play like it's in the backyard," Cartwright said.

"That's what has impressed everyone since he's been here and through the trials."

Queensland representative forward Dave Taylor has also been told to back his instincts.

The giant 24-year-old will start from the bench in his first appearance since moving from South Sydney, but after an off-season hampered by injury, Cartwright says simplicity is the key for his star.

"Dave has got as much potential as anyone in the game," Cartwright said.

"He's a gamebreaker ... he'll start on the bench but he's a very destructive player.

"Basically Dave's just got to run hard and tackle hard."

Takairangi, picked up from the Sydney Roosters in the off-season, won a battle with Kevin Gordon for the left centre's role with flyer Gordon to remain on the wing.

Veteran forward Luke Bailey is also in the squad and looks likely to make his return to action after working his way back from a season-ending ruptured Achilles tendon injury last year.

Titans: William Zillman, Kevin Gordon, Brad Takairangi, Jamal Idris, David Mead, Aidan Sezer, Albert Kelly, Luke Douglas, Matt Srama, Nate Myles, Greg Bird, Ben Ridge, Ashley Harrison. Interchange: Dave Taylor, Luke Bailey, Ryan James, Beau Falloon, Luke O'Dwyer (one to be omitted).

Junior Titan

Default Sharks training session

Snuck over to watch a sharks training session NO Carney they looked pretty ordinary but one thing they have obviously pick up on is Brad Takairangi playing in the centers and his defense or laack of. All their shifts were focuses on his edge so look out Bradley their coming your way.

I like having Falloon in the team as it gives Srama a breather and gives us valuable cover if one of our halves go down during the game. I agree that Srama needs to be protected - he is no good to anybody if he is out injured. Players like Smith and Farrar who turn up and play 80mins at hooker (AT A HIGH LEVEL!) are super rare, Srama may get their one day but he is not there yet.

I actually don't think Falloon is that far behind Srama in terms of talent, I really like him.

As an aside, there has been what I would call 'educated' money being wagered on the Sharks for the least wins (wooden spoon) in recent days. I won't repeat the reason that was given for the bets but on top of that there are some pretty concrete reports that they have had a very disjointed off-season as a result of the size of their casualty ward, they have hardly trained at all as a top 13.

Suprised our mate Inside Word hasn't had anything to say on it...

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    I like having Falloon in the team as it gives Srama a breather and gives us valuable cover if one of our halves go down during the game. I agree that Srama needs to be protected - he is no good to anybody if he is out injured. Players like Smith and Farrar who turn up and play 80mins at hooker (AT A HIGH LEVEL!) are super rare, Srama may get their one day but he is not there yet.

I actually don't think Falloon is that far behind Srama in terms of talent, I really like him.

As an aside, there has been what I would call 'educated' money being wagered on the Sharks for the least wins (wooden spoon) in recent days. I won't repeat the reason that was given for the bets but on top of that there are some pretty concrete reports that they have had a very disjointed off-season as a result of the size of their casualty ward, they have hardly trained at all as a top 13.

Suprised our mate Inside Word hasn't had anything to say on it...
    It's still early mate

I agree with the Srama/Falloon comments , anyone that has seen Matty being replaced will see he is replaced when the tank is running on empty, i think he's probably a couple of years away from being a complete 80 minute player , the only guys that do it are the Smiths,Friends & Farah's of the game & they are much more seasoned players than Srama.

Very surprised to see we are $2.75 to win this game but if the TAB are giving money away i'm happy to take from them
    #itaintweaktospeak

I agree with Srama/Falloon. First time Id agree with dual hookers, but in this case it seems like a sensible strategy. I think Karnage is spot on.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I have stated I don't like the dual hookers, I never stated which one i would prefer. I actually think Falloon has it over Srama and is a 80 min player. His passing is way better and so is his options.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    I have stated I don't like the dual hookers, I never stated which one i would prefer. I actually think Falloon has it over Srama and is a 80 min player. His passing is way better and so is his options.
    Wow
    I couldn't possibly disagree more with you blokes.
    I've never been a fan of coaches picking safe players over dynamic ones. From a coaching perspective, it should be easier to bring Srama's level of passing up, than improving Falloon's vision and decision making; which is very one dimensional imo.
    Think we've got a few cases of Cartwrightus breaking out amongst the forum!

Betting has been suspended. Sharkies might be in a fair bit of trouble here. Nothing concrete yet.

Sharks players could be stood down
    Josh Massoud

The Daily Telegraph
    March 06, 2013 3:51PM

BOOKMAKERS have suspended betting in Cronulla's season opener match against Gold Coast amid speculation that up to 14 Sharks players could be stood down in relation to ASADA's investigation of the club.

The Daily Telegraph understands ASADA this week informed Sharks officials and players of the extent of their involvement in the investigation, which focuses on the brief period sports scientist Steve Dank spent at the club in 2011.

The Sharks have also hired a top lawyer to guide them through this difficult period.

It's understood the lawyer has spoken to several of the players implicated.

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan has this afternoon declined to comment on the current situation, but denies any Sharks players were interviewed by ASADA.

Sources close to the club, however, believe that ASADA are trying to cut a deal with the club to have players stood down immediately for six months.

Dank was dismissed from Cronulla after his supplement program fell foul of Sharks doctor, David Givney.

The Daily Telegraph has also revealed that Dank continued to treat players at a former Bankstown medical clinic, away from the supervision of their clubs.
    Stephen Dank has denied any wrongdoing.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1226591552380

Sources close to the club, however, believe that ASADA are trying to cut a deal with the club to have players stood down immediately for six months.
    If this is true. There can only be one reason for this, and that's to save some face with the debacle that unfolded a month ago. Otherwise, they'd put them through the wringers if they (ASADA) had some solid evidence..

Stand your ground, Sharkies.
    Last edited by Toads; 06-03-13 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kickit2gordon View Post
    Wow
    I couldn't possibly disagree more with you blokes.
    I've never been a fan of coaches picking safe players over dynamic ones. From a coaching perspective, it should be easier to bring Srama's level of passing up, than improving Falloon's vision and decision making; which is very one dimensional imo.
    Think we've got a few cases of Cartwrightus breaking out amongst the forum!
    I have never rated Srama as high as others cause he had to improve a hell of a lot to make the hooker his position which he hasn't yet
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

There is a distinct difference in fluency when Srama and Falloon are swapped. The players get used to the way a certain hooker passes and when to time their runs. Falloon is a super hooker but just different to Srama. I'm not sure there's a struck match between them but I do like having both of them in the 17.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    I have never rated Srama as high as others cause he had to improve a hell of a lot to make the hooker his position which he hasn't yet
    Mate, you're closer than I am but there must several things to consider about that. One would be is he getting coached and another would be if the coach wants the rotation then Srama's preparation would be different. I am not sold on either one but I am certainly sold on only one.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

SHARKS HAVE 14 PLAYERS that could be banned for 6 months!
    betting has been suspended on the game!

Bookmakers have suspended betting in the Cronulla Sharks‘ season opener match against the Gold Coast Titans amid speculation that up to 14 Sharks players could be stood down in relation to ASADA’s investigation of the club.

The Daily Telegraph understands ASADA this week informed Sharks officials and players of the extent of their involvement in the investigation, which focuses on the brief period sports scientist Steve Dank spent at the club in 2011.

The Sharks have also hired a top lawyer to guide them through this difficult period.

It’s understood the lawyer has spoken to several of the players implicated.

Read more: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/sharks...#ixzz2Mk3ZUJvC
    Follow us: @zerotackle on Twitter | zerotackle on Facebook