Default Titans set bar for British Prodigy

TALENTED teen Matt Russell is adamant his Australian sojourn will provide a long-term career boost regardless of whether he lines up in the opening match of the season.

Russell, who was languishing behind Super League Man of Steel Sam Tomkins at Wigan, linked with the Titans to accelerate his development in the toughest competition in the world.

And while the young fullback's path to the top is little easier at the Titans , he believes the experience he gains during his two-year stint on the Coast could turbocharge his career.

"I was behind Sam Tomkins back home and he's the best player in the league by far," Russell said.

"I had an opportunity to go other places or to go on loan next season in England but I just thought I could come here and get massive experience from it."

Russell is in no rush though.

"I'll still only be 21 in two years' time, there could be other options by then, maybe a new deal, so we'll just see what happens."

At just 19, Russell still qualifies for the under-20 competition next season but given his senior experience -- he played eight Super League matches last season, most on loan to Hull -- the Titans may opt to play him in the Queensland Cup if he does not make their top 17.

"The lads say the Q Cup is pretty strong but it depends how I'm going in the 20s," Russell said.

"If I'm killing it in the 20s, then obviously I'd like to be playing at a higher level."

But he won't regard his Australian stint a failure if he is not playing NRL footy.

"It's the same in England, there's good blokes (in front of me) for Wigan that are young as well and just as good.

"I'll just try and grab that opportunity ... and hopefully do my best when I get the chance.

"I've not set any marks (to reach). I'll just try and do my best over here and try and get a few games if I can and if not, just see what happens in the next two years."

Russell will turn out in next year's trials, hoping to force his way into a classy backline that includes Zillman, Jamal Idris, Beau Champion and David Mead.

But fans are likely to be in for a treat if the youngster breaks loose.

"I'm a bit elusive really, just good in open play and try to do my best," he said.

Already Russell is noticing a difference he hopes will catapult him to a higher level.

"I think the lads are much fitter and stronger and faster as well," he said.

"There's better skills on the field as well because they get good weather."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Good article! Thanks Pete...

Excited too see how this kid plays. Can't find any footage of him anywhere, so I haven't got a clue about how he goes. There seems to be some quiet hype surrounding him though, and these days you're definitely old enough if you're good enough - so who knows what we might be saying about him this time next year.

Anyone have any word on how Matty plays? What player mould would you say he's in? Any links to some footage would be sweet too :-)

Really exciting article - he's really self-confident without being arrogant.

When we signed him I asked some Poms on twitter what he's like -

"Excellent prospect. Very, very quick & an elusive runner. Positional play leaves a lot 2b desired but still only young"

Then I asked if he could fill in at centre

"At a push. I'd see him more on the wing really. Very, very good with ball in hand. Not so good without it. Not a centre for me."

Yep. It sure feels like 2006/2007. Even reading articles about British Titans signings. I'm very excited. Titans are delivering what I want as a fan. I like the idea of having a British player in our top ranks. Maybe like Widdop who came through the grades. NYC to full back first grade to 5/8th and England International.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

There are so many speedsters at the club. After hearing about Matty Russell being a speedster we have Mead, Flash, O'Dare, Russell and Zillman. And we still struggle to score tries and create opportunities...
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Sezer View Post
    There are so many speedsters at the club. After hearing about Matty Russell being a speedster we have Mead, Flash, O'Dare, Russell and Zillman. And we still struggle to score tries and create opportunities...
    A new halfback & a very fit Idriss should help our try scoring ability a lot more, should take away our previous Predictable play
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Sezer View Post
    Panthers have a new speedster in their NYC squad that will flog everyone for speed. Joshua Jay a national sprint champ whose best time is 10.72, jeepers
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Won't mean much when Bird gets hold of him.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Won't mean much cause he probably won't make 1st grade.

I'd like to introduce him to Dave Taylor
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]