Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Dad View Post
    Big DT has copped it on the chin and now should be rewarded with a return to the NRL.. You dont have a guy like him running around the Q,cup. He needs to be in our team.
    Sure DT may have made himself look the goose re his comments, however he has never been to crash hot in front of the cameras. (Maybe some media style training should be given to him considering every man and dog wants to interview the Coaltrain)
    Go big fella.... He will terrorise the knights out in the centres....
    absolutely. David is genuinely not great in front of cameras, as opposed to Darius Boyd, who has more intelligence, but chooses to act like a turd.

hope to see him back and firing.

Could Dave Taylor be the biggest waste of natural talent RL has ever seen?

I just don't understand how someone can be so good on some days and so utterly disappointing the following week.

All the ability of a HB, plenty of speed wrapped into the power of man-giant, genuinely good hands that can get out a sneaky off-load or pick up a bootlace pass, yet he somehow manages to bumble his way through some games like he is only starting out in U/20's.

So, what is it? Mental attitude? Poor coaching and direction? Someone who is complacent because he is on too much money for too long?

I was (still am really) a massive fan, based on what he possesses in his natural ability, and was stoked to pay him $500K for 4 years, but I honestly thought he was ready to shoot for super-stardom and become one of the games greatest ever players. Now I am just left shaking my head wondering what drives this man and if he will ever find consistent form.

Massive money long contracts

No need to fight for your position it is basically a given

I rate the big fella on a good day he is unstoppable, however he has not lived up to the expectations never consistent, so maybe he fits into the don't give a **** category

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN FAN View Post
    Massive money long contracts

No need to fight for your position it is basically a given

I rate the big fella on a good day he is unstoppable, however he has not lived up to the expectations never consistent, so maybe he fits into the don't give a **** category
    Considering Cartwright tried to reprimand him earlier this year. It might be a justified stance. It seems he has more ability as a Player, than what Cartwright does as a Coach..

Gee what a statement ... I'd reckon these two playing a game of Scrabble would take a whole weekend.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

The guy is so hot and cold, he has a good game tries hard gets good meter's, then the next weeks he is not seen, it is like he only plays when he feels like it. We could have bought better for that kind of money.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

As per C-Wiz's advice > I posted these in another thread, but they probably belong here.

(1)
    I have no doubt DT will, like Jamal turn out to be a good buy for us eventually. Greater minds than mine have failed to solve the CoalTrain conundrum, so i certainly don't hope to, but i think it's time to elevate him to the starting side, or drop him completely until he jumps through whatever hoops carty has set for him. At the moment, he is being outperformed by everyone on the bench, and is essentially wasting a spot. I know the popular mantra for players trying to work their way into a starting side is more quality not minutes - but i just think DT is a confidence player. Coming off the bench is not doing him or us any favours.

(2)
    DT is probably never going to be an error-less defensive workhorse, hit-up machine. He is actually a pretty good defender and reader of the game - but he gets lazy and makes sloppy mistakes. That said, telling him to get the errors out of his game, play simple and run straight is a sad waste of rare talent.

We've probably all got an opinion on how the team might improve their attack - but bringing DT into the game is surely one we can all agree on. Plays should be constructed around his strengths; A guy that big who can not only drag players with him, but also pass, step, offload, and dribble a ball behind the line at speed, should be a threat everytime he runs it. He could play a very similar role to Glenn Stewart - where defenders are constantly guessing as to which option he will take. He should be running good angles, with offload options in support close to the line. He should be given space to create linebreaks and defensive mis-reads.

Using him to take hit-ups out of our 20 and 30, or charge at the try line from 5 out (our teams pet play) for 30 minutes of a game is stupid for so many reasons. His pay packet alone is a good one. But with the limited minutes, opposition teams are perfectly aware of the role he is coming on to play; Run straight and hard and over the top of blokes. With more minutes, he has the ability to work the opposition over. Make them aware of his options, and that he is willing to use them - and create some doubt in defensive teams. Atleast this way he has a chance to make up for his errors with the brilliance we know he can produce > the likes of which we have seen very little of this year (probably his worst season since debuting tbh). Confidence player's need to know its okay to make mistakes, to take risks, and to recognise moments when instincts trump gamplans, all of which comes from faith from team-mates and coaching staff. For many, this faith / trust / confidence (whatever you want to call it) can often reduce error counts as much as endless ball work and video sessions do, as any sports psychologist worth a damn would tell you.

I guess i just really want to see him realise his potential as a titan, rather than be another guy who comes to the coast, only to be mismanaged into another code or nrl team ... and then succeed there.

Bailey seems to get him going on the field. I think a lot of our problem is around on-field leadership. Myles is just a shadow of last year's player and remember he was playing busted then. Zillman comes back and we play like busted ****s ... somewhere in there lies a large part of the solution. Two years ago I suggested that Ridge is a more likely captain. We don't need rep players doing that, just a solid bloke who bleeds Titans ... dare I say it, make DT captain.

DT would be a much better player with good centres and a good full back.

If you watch his highlights on youtube most of them are him breaking a tackle or 2 and getting a ball away to a flyer.

If we give him good options to pass his running game will improve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbIEalObH4Q
    I want to see that right foot step again

Quote Originally Posted by Griff0 View Post

If you watch his highlights on youtube most of them are him breaking a tackle or 2 and getting a ball away to a flyer.

I haven't watched the video link you posted, Griff0. But I think you're deadset on the money with that opinion. It's seems a case that the Titans haven't considered this, or worked it into their game plan. Souths did, and they reaped the rewards for it.

Has he found his boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    I haven't watched the video link you posted, Griff0. But I think you're deadset on the money with that opinion. It's seems a case that the Titans haven't considered this, or worked it into their game plan. Souths did, and they reaped the rewards for it.
    Watch the video, it's gives hope to what we might see again one day...
    We have the Mead, the Mead for speed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Griff0 View Post

Yeah mate, that's the devastation that made him one of the most sought after signatures in the NRL. The only thing i can see is that when he was running and playing like that, it looks like he was playing what was in front of him, not constrained by a boring game-plan with no room for attacking flair. Thank God Alby came along and changed all that. The other thing is players are running off him, expecting an offload/line break.

The next best thing about the footage is Jamal, and seeing those 2 units coming together. We have 2 of the most explosive, powerful, and talented units in the NRL and for some reason neither of them have gone anywhere near their previous peak of performance since joining the Titans.

How about this thought? Every time Cartwright gives up and the team runs itself they perk up and then we he gathers some confidence and starts believing his own press they play the same boring crap.

Coal Train charges ahead
    Emma Greenwood | 08:23am September 3, 2013

DAVE Taylor has overcome a confidence slump to regain his position as one of the game's most feared runners as the Gold Coast Titans make an 11th-hour bid for finals.

Statistics obtained by the Bulletin show the much-maligned recruit has turned around his season over the past five rounds, becoming one of the most dangerous ball runners in the game.

And his timing could not be better with Taylor in line to be pushed back into the starting side after Nate Myles suffered an ankle injury.

Taylor made 199m from 21 runs in the Titans' upset win against the Roosters on Sunday -- more than any other player in the match.

And since the round 21 clash against the Wests Tigers, in which he made 176m from 16 runs which included nine tackle breaks, Taylor has averaged 148m per game and 4.6 tackle breaks.

Hard work and a team-first mantra have helped the Titans' prized recruit deliver the form that fans have been craving all season.

The former Origin player has been savaged for his debut season on the Coast.

But he insists his form reversal has not been a reaction to the criticism, rather a result of hard work that has bolstered his flagging confidence.

"I don't read into (the criticism) much. No offence to (the media) but the majority of it is people who've never played NRL writing the comments," Taylor said.

"If you're going to take it to heart, you've really got to think about who you listen to. I always listen to the right people.

"I've definitely been down on my confidence lately and it was good to get a win like that. Just training hard and trying to do everything I can for the team, and for myself off the paddock definitely helps (regain that confidence)."

It's not only statistics that tell the story of Taylor's form reversal.

The hulking forward was one of the Titans' most enthusiastic players on Sunday, pepping up his undermanned team as soon as he took the field by forcing Roosters flyer Michael Jennings to throw a wild pass into touch as he bundled him towards the sideline.

"If Jennings gets that ball out to the winger, we could be talking about something totally different," Taylor said.

"It kind of gives you a bit of confidence but you've got to do more little things. One play can't get your confidence back like that, you've got to keep doing the little plays and doing them right and that's what I found."

But it's not just Taylor's confidence that has been bolstered.

The Titans as a unit believe they can continue their giant-killing run when they head to Melbourne to take on the Storm this weekend.