Default Bulldogs in secret bid to lure Thurston

Bulldogs in secret bid to lure Thurston

DEAN RITCHIE | November 22nd, 2012

Johnathan Thurston leaves Belmore after meeting with Des Hasler (background left). Picture: CRAIG GREENHILL

CANTERBURY have made a secret after-dark bid for Australian and Queensland superstar Johnathan Thurston.

The Daily Telegraph captured exclusive images of Thurston at the Bulldogs' Centre of Excellence in Belmore last night.

Thurston, 29, arrived at around 8pm and was shown around the impressive $9 million facility.

The meeting was scheduled late to avoid the media spotlight.

The North Queensland star comes off contract after next season and will command $1 million a season on the open market.

Canterbury coach Des Hasler was at the meeting, as was Thurston's manager Sam Ayoub. Bulldogs management was last night filthy Thurston was photographed leaving the meeting.

"We are always in the market for marquee players," Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg said.

"Johnathan and his manager were in Sydney and, given he is a former Bulldogs player, we took the opportunity to meet with him and show him around the Bulldogs' new Centre of Excellence. We are disappointed this has made it into the media."

Although he has a year remaining on his contract, Thurston is obviously looking toward the 2014 season.

Thurston played with Canterbury between 2002 and 2004 before shifting to Townsville.

Sources close to him say he may be tempted to return to Sydney and possibly Canterbury.

Earlier this week, Thurston was linked to Penrith, although the Panthers released a statement denying they were chasing the five-eighth.

The Bulldogs will now be unable to make any such claims.

Rival clubs are lining up to bid for Thurston, although most believe he will sign on again with the Cowboys, whose management remain adamant he will stay at their club.

St George Illawarra, Brisbane and Parramatta are other clubs linked to Thurston through the media.

On Tuesday, Cowboys football manager Peter Parr said: "The Penrith rumour has been around for a long time, and not long ago I heard he was going to Brisbane.

"He's also got a good relationship with Ricky (Stuart), so Parramatta is probably in the frame. I've also heard St George Illawarra, and Canterbury get mentioned every time because he played there previously."

Thurston began his NRL career at the Bulldogs in 2002 and won a premiership in 2004.

But it was only when he moved to the Cowboys in 2005 that his career took off. He won the Dally M player of the year award in his first year at the club and is now regarded as one of the greatest players in the game.

There is little doubt he would be looking at a three- to four-year deal to finish his career. He will become one of the highest paid players in the game alongside Greg Inglis, Cam Smith and Billy Slater.

Source: www.townsvillebulletin.com.au

Whoops!

They're right when they say a picture can say a 1000 words. That's bound to upset some Cowboys Fans. Especially those that say JT will see his career out at the Cowboys..

Show him our "Center of mediocrity"
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

I always thought he'd head back to the Bulldogs.

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    we could sign another marquee player then there would be no excuses for losing. we would be a powerhouse like melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by Titanius Joe View Post
    I always thought he'd head back to the Bulldogs.
    Cantebury have alot of money in the salary cap. so i wouldnt be suprised either

When was the last time Thurston was off contract ? Because i remember a couple of years ago there was big talk that he wanted to finish his career at Canterbury.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    Centre of Extravagance
    Last edited by Titanic; 22-11-12 at 04:59 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.